DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/29 - 12/5/2023 - Continental Breakfast

Dolfan in NYC

Fairly good Rampage here. The women's match felt like it was 75% in PnP so that sucked though. This was a collection of multi-persons; first one was fun and Danhausen busting out the hat cracked me up. Wheeler used "The Man in the Mask" on Ex like Regal. Whatever that finisher was that Uno has, it's gnarly. The Mummy AKA Ric Flair came out and flashed the logo of the furniture company to the crowd from inside his jacket! They're gonna be blowing up! Slashing prices for the holidays, buy sofa and love seat for 20% off! 😄 Stinger gave a shout out to Bam Bam Bigelow which was class. Love Bammer. They played Wight getting slammed on the car again, and man, he landed practically on the edge of it. Nasty. Callis showed, like Heyman on Smackdown, that a good manager can still get the most heat out of the entire crew. The main was a delirious spotfest with everything being super complicated and pretty well perfectly pulled off. Vikingo screwed up one dive but JD Drake saved it by immediately throwing his ass up against the ropes and lariating him, which was probably a receipt for Vikingo chopping him with his entire arm. I like me some Workhorsemen.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 10:59 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Matsunaga already did that in Big Japan back in the day. I think I remember probably Schneider writing about how he was trying to put dry ice in Shadow WX's mouth 😆

Oh my god here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcL2FNFPjWY&ab_channel=RaffertyWestmore

Oh, oh no. They had not only the ice but Mr. Pogo's sickle attachment on the END OF A DRILL. Shoji Nakamaki shows up wearing a suit (?!). But in a match with that, you know what was the craziest thing? Greak Kojika, who I remember was referred to as "a gaunt and elderly man", busting out a freakin' hiptoss in a death match. The Rick Steamboat of Big Japan, ladies and gentlemen! 

I keep saying he's wearing someone's upholstery. I hope the furniture store bled him dry for that.

I think the best response I saw online for Flair's suits is that he looks like a fancy brunch menu.

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Swerve is winning the whole tournament, beating Danielson in the finals, and then he's becoming world champion.

I would agree, but tbh the whole Triple Crown thing kind of puts a damper on this entire tournament. Why does anyone like Swerve or Moxley care about holding a lower tier New Japan belt, the ROH title, and a completely new belt? And nobody better give me that “oh it’s still a title/World title”. No, it’s a downgrade from even the AEW International title.

They really should have just made this thing into their G1, where the winner gets a title shot at a later date. Swerve (or whoever) winning and MJF knowing that even if he gets through Samoa Joe, while injured, he still has to face the winner of this thing in a month or two? Come on. That’s infinitely better than shuffling someone with name value to NJPW STRONG or ROH shows to bolster the appeal of either/both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I would agree, but tbh the whole Triple Crown thing kind of puts a damper on this entire tournament. Why does anyone like Swerve or Moxley care about holding a lower tier New Japan belt, the ROH title, and a completely new belt? And nobody better give me that “oh it’s still a title/World title”. No, it’s a downgrade from even the AEW International title.

They really should have just made this thing into their G1, where the winner gets a title shot at a later date. Swerve (or whoever) winning and MJF knowing that even if he gets through Samoa Joe, while injured, he still has to face the winner of this thing in a month or two? Come on. That’s infinitely better than shuffling someone with name value to NJPW STRONG or ROH shows to bolster the appeal of either/both.

It symbolizes you won a grueling tournament with some of the top mat workers in the world. It's like competing in a decathlon or a Tuff Mudder. 

• Like 2

Man, how long is this tournament gonna last, a couple months? I mean that's cool but I didn't think it really was gonna be G1-long. 

Another question: what is a "clamdigger" as an insult? 

Anyway I actually didn't like this show as much as Rampage, which was far more inconsequential. It was just more fun. This was kind of a slog beyond the main event. I think I can sum it up in a spoiler. 

Spoiler

1. Tired of Claudio. His matches never change. Brody is perfectly fine (his navel is a black hole though haha) and this was some serious big meaty men slapping meat, but it just didn't hit for me. 

2. Workrate tag with HoB and the old guys, not interested

3. Kip Sabien, not interested

4. Danny/Andrade was okay. The dropkick to Andrade's face and him pushing Danny off the top were mean looking. Andrade thigh slapping for a back elbow is pretty shitty.

I guess the positives are my boy Ethan getting a match, my they Abadon picking up a win (finally), Renee almost not corpsing (the foot fetishists get their kick [heh] again but this time it's gotta be all in your heads, boys), and Pirata Danielson vs. Eddie Has To Lose, Of Course.

Disappointed FTR didn't join HOB... wanted southern gothic Dax quoting "Midnight in the garden of good and evil"

I hope this is the start of Pirate Danielson this week an eye patch, next week a puffy shirt, an earing, a hook, a peg leg

according to Nigel on AEW unrestricted Bryan enjoys literally going out into the ocean and digging clams 

also really like the Workhorsemen getting the main event slot on Rampage 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man, how long is this tournament gonna last, a couple months? I mean that's cool but I didn't think it really was gonna be G1-long. 

Another question: what is a "clamdigger" as an insult? 

Anyway I actually didn't like this show as much as Rampage, which was far more inconsequential. It was just more fun. This was kind of a slog beyond the main event. I think I can sum it up in a spoiler. 

Reveal hidden contents

1. Tired of Claudio. His matches never change. Brody is perfectly fine (his navel is a black hole though haha) and this was some serious big meaty men slapping meat, but it just didn't hit for me. 

2. Workrate tag with HoB and the old guys, not interested

3. Kip Sabien, not interested

4. Danny/Andrade was okay. The dropkick to Andrade's face and him pushing Danny off the top were mean looking. Andrade thigh slapping for a back elbow is pretty shitty.

I guess the positives are my boy Ethan getting a match, my they Abadon picking up a win (finally), Renee almost not corpsing (the foot fetishists get their kick [heh] again but this time it's gotta be all in your heads, boys), and Pirata Danielson vs. Eddie Has To Lose, Of Course.

Ends at Worlds End, an AEW PPV. 30th December 2023.

• Like 1

Just now, zendragon said:

a peg leg

Maybe don't wish for things that could possibly happen here...

At one point I thought the mask went straight over Pirata Danielgan's other eye but I guess not. That needs to be how someone kicks the shit out of him at one point, just yank the mask over and start taking cheap shots. 

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Disappointed FTR didn't join HOB... wanted southern gothic Dax quoting "Midnight in the garden of good and evil"

I was hoping Malaki would mist in Dax’s and he’s start dressing like Judas Priest 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Maybe don't wish for things that could possibly happen here...

At one point I thought the mask went straight over Pirata Danielgan's other eye but I guess not. That needs to be how someone kicks the shit out of him at one point, just yank the mask over and start taking cheap shots. 

I'll wish for him to "sail" to the ring in a mini schooner like Shotzi and her tank

• Haha 2

😆 😆 😆

OH SHIT I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT!!!

He's the bald one with more personality, right? Probably Cronos then, plus I think Mr. Lant has been slowly balding since like forever. Look at a picture of him now, but even in the '80s he looked like that. 

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6TqLGy0J73Wssl1y2GoBLso80b1SA0baQ2V-YaqLtkddKc17Ejy6TfFmXjOqTkbrymjJ8_8idH0HBkIc

• Like 1