DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

So, is it a good or awful idea to run a WWE show in Paris during the Olympics?

On one hand, it's in the background. On the other hand, lots of people are already around for the Olympics.

Wouldn't every venue be booked with Olympic events?

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

it'd probably have to be a Sold Show if anything were possible. Sorta like the WWF holding shows during state fairs. Only with the Olympics.

Qatari Investment Fun, I'm looking at you. 

(As if KSA would allow that to happen) 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

On one hand, it's in the background. On the other hand, lots of people are already around for the Olympics.

If you've seen the ticket prices for Olympic events, I'd be shocked if anyone forked over any more Euro to go see Seth Flipper Rollins while the Games are in town.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If you've seen the ticket prices for Olympic events, I'd be shocked if anyone forked over any more Euro to go see Seth Flipper Rollins while the Games are in town.

I'd be shocked if anyone paid to see Seth Rollins if the only other show in town were the Harlem Globetrotters

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

the big indoor arena in Paris (that's hosted WWE, UFC and NBA) is holding the basketball finals and artistic gymnastics in the last week of July and first week of August.

If it's Backlash, isn't that in late April/early May? Unless the venues are being renovated, which is pretty common, they  probably still be open three months before. Thing is if there is a hiccup along the way, then they wouldn't be able to postpone it.

Here's a Paris venue idea that is unworkable for several reasons

Court Philippe Chatrier. The Center Court at the French Open. 15k seats. Retractable Roof. 

I'm guessing there's a bunch of reasons why that won't happen. Running a wrestling show at a tennis arena. Who'd do thaaat?

Western Europe at least seems more equipped to handle the Olympics than say Brazil and Japan, where they figured they didn't have enough actual venues that weren't totally dilapidated to host a tiddlywinks contest let alone any Olympic games.

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering that they're changing the Tour de France next year by having it not end in Paris for the first time ever and it ends 5 days before the Olympics start, I highly doubt that the WWE would be allowed to run in Paris during that time span.

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

WWE holding shows to draw fans who are in town for a bigger event?  I thought only pissant indies did that sort of lowlife thing!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

WWE holding shows to draw fans who are in town for a bigger event?  I thought only pissant indies did that sort of lowlife thing!

When are they actually planning to do the event? The Olympics aren't year round. If they hold a show in early May then that's a shade under three months clear of the Summer Olympics.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Here's a Paris venue idea that is unworkable for several reasons

Court Philippe Chatrier. The Center Court at the French Open. 15k seats. Retractable Roof. 

I'm guessing there's a bunch of reasons why that won't happen. Running a wrestling show at a tennis arena. Who'd do thaaat?

I mean, if they're running during the Olympics, then there's gonna be a little tournament going on then at Roland Garros, so that's probably out.  

With the Great German Bash just announced for August 31 (which is currently the Payback slot)...  I'd have to think the Paris PLE  would probably be before the Olympics (think April or May if they were running like the Stade de France or Princes Park) or well after the Games (in the Crown Jewel/Survivor Series slot), only problem there is it's gonna start getting cold in an outdoor venue by that point, which would need them to run an arena or even a super cool venue like the Grand Palais.   

... problem with both of THOSE is you run into the Saudi PLE's timewise, and all the travel/expenses involved there. 

• Like 1

I highly doubt they're running DURING the Olympics. First off, they have SummerSlam during that time so that automatically rules that out. The Olympics is only THREE weeks.

When Bischoff and Tony (Schiavone) bring up when the Atlanta games happened in 1996, they basically were working in the offices at CNN until about 2-3 weeks before they started. That's when they went down to Orlando to do those Disney MGM outdoor tapings for a month. Everyone basically had a paid summer vacation with their families. And that's Atlanta, which is a pretty small area with zero other major cities immediately surrounding it. 

When the 2028 games happen, you think Los Angeles is going shut down in May and June?

• Like 1

Watching a 1992 WCW Main Event episode and boy does Terry Taylor leaving the York Foundation and blaming his losses on the computer sound familiar as someone who follows current baseball.

Feels like you could just do the York Foundation gimmick today and say that the wrestlers are using analytics to win their matches.

• Like 1

I'd like to see an athletic big man start wrestling like Khali because analytics show that for every inch in height past six feet, any move that takes you off your feet offers a 7.4% greater chance of failure.

Maybe they show a sizzle reel of One Man Gang, Kamala, and King Kong Bundy whiffing on second-rope splashes while dude explains the numbers and why he subsequently will only be throwing punches, stomps, and an occasional body slam or lariat from now on.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

I'd like to see an athletic big man start wrestling like Khali because analytics show that for every inch in height past six feet, any move that takes you off your feet offers a 7.4% greater chance of failure.

Maybe they show a sizzle reel of One Man Gang, Kamala, and King Kong Bundy whiffing on second-rope splashes while dude explains the numbers and why he subsequently will only be throwing punches, stomps, and an occasional body slam or lariat from now on.

Zack Sabermetrics Jr

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

"The formula tells me that non-finishers never end matches, therefore I will not go for covers unless I hit my finisher"

But then how can anyone look utterly shocked at getting a 2.9 off a move that never gets anything more than a 2.9? Think of the drama we'd be missing.

• Haha 3