DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

It's fucking pre-6 am on Christmas morning and I actually have to post for all of you to knock this shit off.

One more fucking dog picture and you can join us again in July

And you really really don't want to follow this up with a cute snarky post.

Not really the time to fucking test me.

• Like 6

Dark+Unicorn+-+Hailey+Hatred+-+lucha+lib

Unicorn chaser.

Serious as a Onita post-match promo now, I was going to leave a comment on the absolute depths of ignorance of that "Worst [sic] Finishers" video - I mean, if you can't dig a Asiatic/Samoan Spike, than how much soul do you have as a human, let alone a rassling fan, anyway? - but the rapid fire negativity of the posts by the usual suspects around here killed my motivation. Don't hand me any Xmas-based excuses either, I don't want to hear about work/family/seasonal depression/lack of sleep from assembling the kiddies' presents/Festivus angst as we all got it hard. Don't make the Baby Jeebus cry, now. Imagine how festive it is at the Roades household this year if you start to get blue...

- and look at that JLawler card in the Photo Thread too,
RAF

• Like 1

Tanaka toned down his style dramatically, and has been better in the last 5 years than at any other point in his career.  He seems fine, health wise.

I have watched modern Tanaka and that is not true. 

I have to disagree.  Ever since he got away from the garbage wrestling, I feel like his work has improved exponentially.  He got in incredible shape, and learned how to work a safer style.  He's much more versatile than he used to be.

I always thought The Claw was one of the more fake looking finishers out there.

Well, there are legitimately painful ways to apply the Claw. But obviously that's not the goal. The kayfabe reasoning for the Claw involves pressure on the temples. Perhaps some people either can't credibly do that, or the effects of the Claw aren't realistic looking.

Tanaka toned down his style dramatically, and has been better in the last 5 years than at any other point in his career.  He seems fine, health wise.

I'd suspect it'd be hard to figure out these health things so easily due to their reluctance to really speak up about these problems.

Also, i'd worry more about the 90s AJs headdrop types just as much as anybody over there

Weren't there reports from before his death that Misawa was showing some signs of brain damage? I remember when he came to ROH people said he was muttering to himself, kind of seemed off. Kawada, Taue, Kobashi, Akiyama; they cannot be healthy. Does no one remember Oro anymore?

When I heard Whitmer had returned for ROH's last show all I could think of was his appearance on AOW. Kidding with Colt how they'd all have fused necks some day at the least. Chilling.

Thanks to Japanese laws, whatever Misawa had or didn't have died with him.

I think out of the other AJ 90s guys.. it seemed like Kawada made a clean break and left wrestling a few years ago. Kobashi kept going although his knees are probably bionic by now, Taue just retired a few weeks ago (in a match where Taue wrestled Fujinami and Tenryu, both of whom are in their 60s). As for Oro, well, there is a slight difference between dying of sudden neck trauma in Mexico and dying due to sustained head trauma over the span of decades.

Anybody who watches lots of Puro can mention if the death of Misawa really changed anything in how matches are worked over there, or if the 90s stuff was long gone by the time those guys got old.

I'd guess, if we're going by average damage, NFL guys have it worse than Wrestlers due to the sheer impact of their hits even if wrestlers work more often. But there's probably some other guys like Benoit who have had a lot of damage but don't seem off whatsoever to the public eye.

Merry Christmas!

I always thought The Claw was one of the more fake looking finishers out there.

Well, there are legitimately painful ways to apply the Claw. But obviously that's not the goal. The kayfabe reasoning for the Claw involves pressure on the temples. Perhaps some people either can't credibly do that, or the effects of the Claw aren't realistic looking.

!

• Like 3

On the Nigel discussion, isn't part of the story with WWE that they essentially told him to get the surgery, which would have run him about $5K, and then they would talk? This might be something I heard through someone else so it might not be entirely accurate, but if that's the case I always thought that was disappointing. In that scenario Nigel is just as much Steen as he is a victim of circumstance. He didn't take all the steps necessary to realize his dream.

But he was told he needed the surgery in order to work for them? That to me is almost the same thing. WWE has always given the impression of a company that wants talent to prove to them they have the dedication to do everything they ask and above and beyond it. Maybe he wouldn't have gotten a contract after the surgery, but I still think it's hypocritical with the way he puts himself on the cross that he didn't follow through with every possible step he could have taken.

But he was told he needed the surgery in order to work for them? That to me is almost the same thing. WWE has always given the impression of a company that wants talent to prove to them they have the dedication to do everything they ask and above and beyond it. Maybe he wouldn't have gotten a contract after the surgery, but I still think it's hypocritical with the way he puts himself on the cross that he didn't follow through with every possible step he could have taken.

Agree.  The whole story just doesn't jibe with me.  He goes on about working all his life to make it to WWE, making sacrifices and the like, then you're not willing to to get surgery that will likely help you get into WWE?!  I mean, I understand it being pricey for an indy wrestler, but friggin' mooch off your friends and live on their couches, go back and stay with your family, if you're saying you'd do anything to make it to WWE, then don't...well, that's on you.

But that's no guarantee the WWE would want you. If they don't, you're thousands of dollars in debt and no better off than you were, still making peanuts on the indy circuit. If you were struggling before the medical debt, the medical debt would cripple you.

But that's no guarantee the WWE would want you. If they don't, you're thousands of dollars in debt and no better off than you were, still making peanuts on the indy circuit. If you were struggling before the medical debt, the medical debt would cripple you.

Which is probably what went through Nigel's head. Which probably led to all the resentment.

Thanks to Japanese laws, whatever Misawa had or didn't have died with him.

I think out of the other AJ 90s guys.. it seemed like Kawada made a clean break and left wrestling a few years ago. Kobashi kept going although his knees are probably bionic by now, Taue just retired a few weeks ago (in a match where Taue wrestled Fujinami and Tenryu, both of whom are in their 60s). As for Oro, well, there is a slight difference between dying of sudden neck trauma in Mexico and dying due to sustained head trauma over the span of decades.

Anybody who watches lots of Puro can mention if the death of Misawa really changed anything in how matches are worked over there, or if the 90s stuff was long gone by the time those guys got old.

I'd guess, if we're going by average damage, NFL guys have it worse than Wrestlers due to the sheer impact of their hits even if wrestlers work more often. But there's probably some other guys like Benoit who have had a lot of damage but don't seem off whatsoever to the public eye.

I figure anyone who plays hockey, football or wrestles probably have similar amount of damage done. At least in the NFL you could have access to better health care potentially than say McGuinness or Benoit had available to him.

I'll be curious ten years from now how some of the 90's wrestlers are holding up. Brett Farve has admitted he has experienced memory loss already but he was around a long time in a violent sport.

I figure anyone who plays hockey, football or wrestles probably have similar amount of damage done. At least in the NFL you could have access to better health care potentially than say McGuinness or Benoit had available to him.

In the NFL, you'll have access to the best care available IF that care is for the purposes of getting back onto the field ASAP. Long-term health is not the overriding factor, and it took a lockout and a massive lawsuit for the NFL to offer its retirees better benefits and pensions than the NHL had.

But, wouldn't it be better to give yourself the possibility of getting hired, then to remove all hope?  I mean, if you've worked all your life to go to WWE, sacrificed everything, why put one more obstacle in your way?

Nothing about the Nigel story makes sense. That's why people are still speculating about it years later. There was obvious money in the guy and he was on the WWEs radar at a time when their developmental was far from stacked. If it was simply about a easily repairable arm/shoulder it's impossible to understand how a billion dollar company wouldn't invest a couple thousand bucks on a prospect. Nor does it make sense why Nigel wouldnt get the surgery done himself if that was what was potentially standing in between his dream and a life working at target.

The fact that he landed in TNA so soon after everything w the WWE fell apart, was thrust to the top of the card only to disappear under mysterious circumstances only adds to the confusion.

• Like 1

I just watched the Kobashi/Akiyama match posted below in the Watching thread and it makes me wonder how Akiyama is holding up. He was as much a part of the headdrop madness of the late '90s as anyone. I mean, he looks healthy... but you have to wonder...

Akiyama's back has been fucked for a few years now, actually.  Back when Misawa died, I recall that Akiyama was supposed to be taking time off, or at least taking it easy in 6 man tags to rest his back.  They had to move him back into main events after the accident.

In the NFL, you'll have access to the best care available IF that care is for the purposes of getting back onto the field ASAP. Long-term health is not the overriding factor, and it took a lockout and a massive lawsuit for the NFL to offer its retirees better benefits and pensions than the NHL had.

Yes, but wrestling doesn't really seem to have the best care to get you back in the ring. Who knows what Cena had to do to get back from his surgery in two months time. Not that any of the drugs taken by the average NFL player and the procedures they do through are much healthier but I'd imagine they are probably a little better about it than the WWE. I can't see WWE providing much better care to anyone than the NFL. Suppose in the end, they all only care about you in the short term.