DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK ONE

RIPPA

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

NC State flipped which means they realized that UNC will tell them "smell ya later" when the B1G comes calling in a few years. As a Pitt fan I really hope that when the B1G comes in and picks off Virginia and UNC and the SEC snags VT and Clemson that the better public and private schools in the ACC & Big 12 go off and form their own conference. 

1 minute ago, Kuetsar said:

The All Coasts Conference?

I totally understand why these conferences don't change their names despite them becoming more and more unfitting, but I still hate it. I could kind of tolerate the Big Ten having 11 teams because I was impressed with the design of the logo that had a hidden "11" in it, but they're closing in on doubling that original ten, and it'd ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

NC State flipped which means they realized that UNC will tell them "smell ya later" when the B1G comes calling in a few years. As a Pitt fan I really hope that when the B1G comes in and picks off Virginia and UNC and the SEC snags VT and Clemson that the better public and private schools in the ACC & Big 12 go off and form their own conference. 

Hear me out: Reconstitute the Big East football conference.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Not shocked it happened, but this fact shocked me.

SMU gets no revenue from the ACC contract for NINE Years while Cal and Stanford start at 30% of the revenue.

SMU's Athletic Department must be in multiple billionaire's wills to go without TV revenue for just about a decade. Then again, SMU's current status probably doesn't have much TV revenue anyway.

Went to bed when Nebraska was up 10-3 on Minnesota. Had seen enough terrible football by that point. Mildly shocked Minnesota managed to score points. 

Are we finally done with all of this terrible realignment? At least until the ACC grant of rights ends and North Carolina goes to the Big 10? 

I wonder in these situations how difficult the schools that didn't vote "yes" will be with scheduling. Like if FSU is scheduled to play in California what happens if they say 'fuck you, not going to California." Will they just try to work around that (ie have the unhappy schools be "home" as much as possible) or will they cooperate even though they voted no.

35 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wonder in these situations how difficult the schools that didn't vote "yes" will be with scheduling. Like if FSU is scheduled to play in California what happens if they say 'fuck you, not going to California." Will they just try to work around that (ie have the unhappy schools be "home" as much as possible) or will they cooperate even though they voted no.

They have to cooperate or they won't get paid.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So is California vs Miami the longest distance conference game now?  Assuming the ACC is getting rid of divisions like the others

I can't look now but Hawaii to something like Air Force or Wyoming or Colorado State is gonna be up there

4 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They have to cooperate or they won't get paid.

I was thinking of it in the sense of FSU that already wants to leave (or has made overtures about leaving), if they acted like assholes but the ACC wants to keep them happy if they'd try to find some middle ground.

Not saying that would happen, just wondering if FSU is 'difficult' about it if they'd just make adjustments to make them happy or force the issue.

I want to take a slight break from the realignment news to talk about another of the storylines that I’m most interested in following this year. Unfortunately, this one might take a while to see how it’s going to play out, given how the B1G schedulers decided to save all their big games until, like, Week 10.

Prove-It Year in the Big Ten East

Last year, Michigan definitely proved that 2021 was no fluke. After years of underwhelming results and valid questions of it the college game had passed Jim Harbaugh by, the Wolverines bounced back from their covid year disaster and thoroughly asserted their dominance over the B1G. Back-to-back wins over Ohio State and conference championships are immense accomplishments that should keep Michigan fans happy for a long time. But the fact remains that each of those seasons culminated in spectacular playoff face-plants: a thrashing at the hands of a superior Georgia team and a hubris-riddled embarrassment at the hands of a TCU team they should have beaten.

So, the question stands: Is Michigan truly one of the country’s elite national programs…or are they just the best team in a soft conference that you really only have to worry about beating one team to win? If they think they’re the former, 2023 is the year to prove it.

On the flip side of that equation, despite Ohio State looking superior to Michigan *on paper* in every way, the Buckeyes have been thoroughly sonned on the field by their rivals over the past two seasons. And I think you see that reflected in the preseason chatter—nobody is giving OSU the benefit of a doubt this year. If they want to be considered the class of the B1G once again, they’re going to have to prove it on the field. Which brings us to other questions…If they can’t, can the Buckeyes even really be considered one of the nation’s elite themselves? And how about Ryan Day? Is he a born-on-third type who’s fortunes are drying up as he mismanages an elite program into mere greatness, or does he truly belong in the lineage of great modern-era OSU coaches with Tressel and Meyer? Might be time to prove it.

Finally, the narrative around the B1G for the last several yeas has been about “the Big 3 (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State), and everybody else.” But how much has Penn State really deserved that accolade? Since Saquon Barkley left Happy Valley following the 2016 B1G championship season, the Nittany Lions are 3-9 vs. Michigan and Ohio State, with zero wins over the Buckeyes. The results on the field suggest that there is no “Big 3”—there’s a Big 2 and then Penn State floating alone in this void between those two and the rest. They tend to find themselves in nice bowl games because they fatten their records by feasting on the underbelly of the B1G, and because the B1G has great bowl tie-ins and Michigan and/or Ohio State are often in the playoffs, but this program has really underperformed their reputation in recent years.

Yet this might be Penn State’s most talented team since 2016. And for certain, Drew Allar is the most talented QB that James Franklin has had during his tenure. 2023 would be a great time for them to prove that the Big 3 actually exists.

The AAC officially announced they are not going to expand westward, so it looks like Oregon State and Washington State are basically at the mercy of whatever the Mountain West wants to give them. They really really really got fucked by all this.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been one Congressman, Senator or somebody to make noise about all this realignment. Not that they could anything, but its not like that's ever stopped them.(not trying to get political or anything), but you would think, somebody would have made a stink or tried to anyway.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

So is California vs Miami the longest distance conference game now?  Assuming the ACC is getting rid of divisions like the others

The ones I thought of to Google

Maryland to Washington - 2,766 miles

Miami to Cal - 3,035.2 miles

Hawai'i to Wyoming - 3,320

West Virginia to Arizona State - "only" 2,077.9

I just can't wait to see how these coast to coast leagues structure their conference schedules for all the other sports that aren't football. It's going to take incredible brilliance or it's going to be just so fucking bad. I'm betting on the latter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

I just can't wait to see how these coast to coast leagues structure their conference schedules for all the other sports that aren't football. It's going to take incredible brilliance or it's going to be just so fucking bad. I'm betting on the latter.

The one idea I already saw that is being considered is having all the teams meet in like Texas and then running events like its the fucking Olympics

Because you know that is great for the supporters of a team in Virginia. Fly to Texas to see your kid play

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1697628039755035116?s=20

That Pete Thamel tweet isn't the one I originally saw but it is the same thing - just narrowing it down to Dallas as the host city

BRB... Failing my pre-med organic chemistry test at Stanford because I had an archery competition against UNC. In Texas.

In case you missed it, ahead of their game with Kent State, UCF posted a pic on Twitter of a player on the phone and said "SOMEONE CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD". 

If you don't understand why that's an issue, just Google "Kent State National Guard".