DVDVR Message Board

All Out V - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If this were Impact Steamer could just go into the Hardy lake and come out as Wheeler Yuta and there’s the match. 

I mean Matt owns all the Broken Universe stuff so why not. A clean-shaven Wheeler Yuta cosplaying young Steamboat would be amazing. It's one of those things that walks the fine line between pure wrestlecrap and innovative storytelling on a big stage, but I think all parties could unironically pull it off.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 3

Interested in Kingston/Shibata vs. Castagnoli/Yuta, Omega/Takeshita and Starks/Steamboat. That's about it right now. For that reason, I won't be getting All Out and having ordered All In without knowing it's free to air tonight. Fuck.

Edited by The Natural

So who is everyone's pick to make the save/answer Starks' challenge on behalf of Ricky Steamboat on Saturday?

Ive given it some thought (instead of preparing for my 9:30 meeting) and in order of likelihood, my picks are:

1) Hangman Page

2) Hook

3) Ethan Page

4) A Hardy or RVD

5) A Sting-backed Nick Wayne

6) A returning Wardlow

Edit--

Two notes:

On a personal level, I'm hoping for the fantasy BS I mentioned in one of the thousand Punk convos this week to come true: Hook answers the call with the FTW title, declaring himself the Real World Champion, and we get some nice Team Taz background/video packages for the OG fans.

Also: I didn't realize until doing this how surprisingly thin it seems to be currently on the babyface side of the locker room

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

So who is everyone's pick to make the save/answer Starks' challenge on behalf of Ricky Steamboat on Saturday?

Ive given it some thought (instead of preparing for my 9:30 meeting) and in order of likelihood, my picks are:

1) Hangman Page

2) Hook

3) Ethan Page

4) A Hardy or RVD

5) A Sting-backed Nick Wayne

6) A returning Wardlow

Edit--

Two notes:

On a personal level, I'm hoping for the fantasy BS I mentioned in one of the thousand Punk convos this week to come true: Hook answers the call with the FTW title, declaring himself the Real World Champion, and we get some nice Team Taz background/video packages for the OG fans.

Also: I didn't realize until doing this how surprisingly thin it seems to be currently on the babyface side of the locker room

I think Hangman is unlikely as him getting slotted into Punk's spot would be taken as a huge insult to Punk. The Hook idea is interesting. I still think it's Punk as #1 and Wardlow (W/Arn) as #2 though.

• Like 1

Just now, Matt D said:

I think Hangman is unlikely as him getting slotted into Punk's spot would be taken as a huge insult to Punk. The Hook idea is interesting. I still think it's Punk as #1 and Wardlow (W/Arn) as #2 though.

It's funny you say this, that's the exact reason why I felt Hangman had the most likelihood of being the guy (a bit of trolling ala the Cabana/Jericho match last go 'round) - that, and a sort of tenuous Mid-Atlantic connection with Hanger being a VA guy.

When I slotted War Dog in on my list, I didn't even consider the Arn connection, but that's a really great point - tons you could do with that history. A real, real longshot that could work similarly would be Dustin - there's like a 0% chance of that occurring, but AO is already kind of a weird card with weird timing, so I say why the hell not

54 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

When I slotted War Dog in on my list, I didn't even consider the Arn connection, but that's a really great point - tons you could do with that history. A real, real longshot that could work similarly would be Dustin - there's like a 0% chance of that occurring, but AO is already kind of a weird card with weird timing, so I say why the hell not

Dustin would be awesome. I'm going to try to not think of the possibility since it'll only lead to disappointment. I'd want Dustin in a strap match vs Starks even more than Punk.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Would there be a chance he'd get the Mysterio Rumble 2014 treatment from Chicago when it turned out to be not Punk though? Who wouldn't, I guess

That's a great point, and it maybe makes even a stronger case for Dustin. I feel like he could turn the crowd in his favor, especially in a strap match where he's taking a beating. Might be tough for a younger, less-experienced wrestler in that situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAm22Y7mZso

Every Orange Cassidy AEW International Title Defense to date.

@Zakk_Sabbath had a very good point of not taking the belt off of OC for changing things up. I think it would be a good idea to pick someone who will really be elevated by beating OC, but I'm not sure when it should take place? I know Mox should NOT win the title! The best option would be that OC loses the International title, heals up and uses his insane winning streak to challenge for the world title soon after! OC's story arc has been pretty amazing! Now he gives a shit! At the same time, he fears absolutely no one, because, guess what, he DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT! He is such a success story for AEW!

Looking closer, it was actually @caley who made the point I attributed to Zakk_Sabbath, but I'm sure I agree with Zakk's comments as well!

Edited by Shartnado
Both your avatars are people's faces!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kind of like the idea of Mox having it and it ending up like a Street Fighter sort of deal where he defends it in underground fight clubs in weird locales around the globe and what not. Or it's a bit like Inoki leading up to WrestleDream where they bring in weird international ex-MMA guys and different style experts to fight him.

Basically like this:

CSogdc1e7pFu3pG9SVRz1yGnuo6WWZN9EIWhiAoL

EDIT: Or, you know..

Spoiler

02.jpg

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

@Matt D When Jericho had the Vietnam Pro Wrestling guys on his podcast, they mentioned all these small companies that helped them get a ring, places like Maylasian pro wrestling. And I was thinking we need OC being a traveling Internation Champion defending in weird rinky dink arenas in various asian countries 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I kind of like the idea of Mox having it and it ending up like a Street Fighter sort of deal where he defends it in underground fight clubs in weird locales around the globe and what not. Or it's a bit like Inoki leading up to WrestleDream where they bring in weird international ex-MMA guys and different style experts to fight him.

Basically like this:

CSogdc1e7pFu3pG9SVRz1yGnuo6WWZN9EIWhiAoL

EDIT: Or, you know..

Reveal hidden contents

02.jpg

Now I'm conflicted.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Torch is reporting there's a back up plan for someone else to save Steamboat that AEW thinks people will find satisfactory and may even be better than Starks.

You know who's in Chicago?

Reveal hidden contents

F4TSZgPbYAAnKZY.jpg

Spoiler

it will be HUSTLE kawada

As slapped together as this card is there are some fun matchups there, but it overly relies on ROH which they need to stop doing. There's literally no divide between the AEW and ROH rosters at this point. They might as well just call ROH, AEW Worldwide or Power Hour.