DVDVR Message Board

All Out V - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

Also kind of like how Nash reminisces that Shawn loved having summers off, he’d fail a drug test or get an injury.

To be fair, one of those was to get his personal affairs in order (read: Shawn was cheating his ass off) that ultimately ended in divorce from his first wife anyway. I am not sure you can time it just right to get time off.

• Thanks 1

Ok, on the idea they don't have Punk, what do you do?

I think the best move is just to treat it like a Backlash/Extreme Rules and fill out the card like a Wrestlemania Revenge house show, since AEW really doesn't ever do that.

So on top of the matches we have (Ruby vs Stat, Hobbs vs Miro, OC vs Mox, Darby vs Luchasaurus)...

• FTR vs Starks/Bill (Strap Match for Steamboat's honor) - they set up the idea that Dax might be as pissed as Punk was, etc.
  • House of Black vs Acclaimed/Gunn in a Cage
  • Ortiz/Santana vs Penta/Kingston
  • Cole/MJF vs Kingdom (ROH Titles)
  • Saraya (c) vs Shida
  • Swerve vs Keith Lee (Finally)

That's what I'd do. You're giving away a few things early or late in the case of that last one, but a lot of it is relatively harmless.

We'll see what they actually do though.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

think the best move is just to treat it like a Backlash/Extreme Rules and fill out the card like a Wrestlemania Revenge house show, since AEW really doesn't ever do that.

I agree with this, and to your point, I think next year rather than confuse *some* of us, they should take advantage of the similar All In/All Out branding and close proximity on the calendar to offer some kind of reduced price or package deal for both shows; maybe even a few high end ticket packages for anyone with FU money who can make it to both London and Chicago.

Ultimately, I think your proposed move is the correct one based on the fact that TK said at the All In presser that All Out was already profitable based on tix and merch alone - given that fact, why not get a little weird with the formatting?

'Killing the town' probably isn't a concern either given that Punk will likely be suspended at that time anyway, and they run Chicago constantly regardless

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Some kind of reduced price or package deal for both shows;

On the at-home watching front: I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that by Revolution 2024 they’ll be on Max (just in America?) Maybe just the PPVs, maybe their entire library, but either I think they’re waiting for the AEW calendar year to reset before they just move everything.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

On the at-home watching front: I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that by Revolution 2024 they’ll be on Max (just in America?) Maybe just the PPVs, maybe their entire library, but either I think they’re waiting for the AEW calendar year to reset before they just move everything.

That's a great point which I completely forgot to consider. My understanding as of the last time I angrily Googled it, is that Zaslav/WBD were waiting for the MLB playoffs to introduce the new 'sports tier' pricing, which would be at the end of Sept/first week of Oct. Unsure if that would include AEW, but if so, perhaps the situation will become a little clearer come WrestleDream I (if not Full Gear).

With Punk's involvement up in the air, I feel like Kingston vs. Mox would be a worthy match to add. I know Mox vs. OC has basically been announced, but I'd trust Eddie to cut a "Hey Jon, I know you're thinking about a title, but we got business to settle" type promo.

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

With Punk's involvement up in the air, I feel like Kingston vs. Mox would be a worthy match to add. I know Mox vs. OC has basically been announced, but I'd trust Eddie to cut a "Hey Jon, I know you're thinking about a title, but we got business to settle" type promo.

maybe Kingston vs Mox at Full Gear, which leads to Claudio vs Kingston at ROH Final Battle?

I thought Mox would go over OC and then take the International Title to Japan for a while, but that’s probably wishful thinking because I feel he needs to be cycled out for a bit due to overexposure. Between the TV deal negotiations and Punk ordeal, he’ll probably be on all of the shows this fall. 

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I thought Mox would go over OC and then take the International Title to Japan for a while, but that’s probably wishful thinking because I feel he needs to be cycled out for a bit due to overexposure. Between the TV deal negotiations and Punk ordeal, he’ll probably be on all of the shows this fall. 

My gut says that they move Darby into that "open the show with a title defense" role for a while and maybe give Cassidy a break.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

My gut says that they move Darby into that "open the show with a title defense" role for a while and maybe give Cassidy a break.

Are we assuming Darby gets by Luchasaurus on his first try? Much as I like Darby, I'm not sure that would be the right call.

This is looking like a B show on paper, and I'm not sure Punk vs Starks for a fake belt would've done anything to change that. 

That being said, I'm sure Kenny vs. Takeshita and Mox vs. OC will be excellent. It's probably the right time and opponent to end OC's reign, but damn if I don't want Mox to kick the everloving shit out of him just to have OC squeak out another win.

I was on shows with Shane Taylor in Ohio back in '07, wrestling in bars and gravel parking lots for "crowds" of like three people. Glad to see him getting a big stage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This looks more like a ROH PPV than a AEW PPV, but at AEW PPV price. My chore over the next four days is convincing my brother that its ok if we skip this one.

Tell him you'll be too busy playing Starfield to order it. 

• Like 2

Fwiw, I absolutely would've ordered this PPV if my guy Stroke Daddy Starks was in the main event. Uncle Tony, I know you still lurk here, even if you don't post anymore, so I wanted that stated clearly for the record. 

• Starks vs ??? : I am still leaning towards this being Punk at this point and his suspension starting on Monday. Steamboat could probably work a strap match and it'd be a novelty. I too see Wardlow as a possibility.
  • Cassidy vs Mox: I haven't seen the Cassidy promo yet but I see no reason why this won't be great. Mox is a different sort of opponent than almost everyone Cassidy's faced in this run. He's faced monsters and technicians and weirdos but very few outright brawlers. I think it's time for the switch. 
  • Darby vs Luchasaurus: It's almost paint by numbers at this point. The Luchasaurus vs Perry cage match was quite good and Darby is many times better than Jungle Boy. I do think this is where he switches roles with Cassidy. I get the idea that it's too soon but he's already had tags and the Christian match. 
  • Statlander vs Soho: We'll see what sort of Outcasts intrigue we get on Saturday leading to this. Toni is far more interesting than either of these two right now. The match should be good but Soho has to win the big one at some point. People have already lost faith in her; it can only get worse.
  • FTR/Bucks vs Bullet Club Gold: I can't even imagine being in the room as they put this together. You can have FTR and the Bucks find a middle ground when they're facing each other but how does an 8 man work?
  • Takeshita vs Omega: This will be terrible but well-executed. I will skip it for the sake of my own sanity but I don't have time to give you guys a Barry Windham review. 
  • Samoa Joe vs Shane Taylor: Glad this is getting a big stage. The story is Dalton Castle but I can't wait to see this one. I'd love to see some Taylor/Stokely interaction. 
  • Miro vs Hobbs: Hobbs is exactly the sort of guy that Miro, who is a very, very strong seller, can work from underneath against and really get to show off on that level.
  • MJF/Cole vs ???/???: Having read the spoilers, it'll be a fresh match-up at least. Feels like a consolation prize for All In.
  • Claudio/Yuta vs Shibata/Kingston: This is a better match, on paper, than my initial idea of Kingston/Penta vs Ortiz/Santana. Shibata interacting with Claudio should be very interesting. I don't necessarily need to see Yuta and Shibata again.

It's not a bad card but I get the people complaining it feels like a two show Winter is Coming type card. A lot hinges on what they do with Starks.

I just looked at the battle royal spoilers. This really is going to be a four hour episode of Rampage. 

If Steamer isn’t working and Punk is already suspended I’d settle for Starks vs The Dragon’s close friend Mickey Rourke. 

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Fwiw, I absolutely would've ordered this PPV if my guy Stroke Daddy Starks was in the main event. Uncle Tony, I know you still lurk here, even if you don't post anymore, so I wanted that stated clearly for the record. 

I'm 60% confident that Starks/Punk will be the main event. If anyone but Punk comes out to save Steamboat/take his spot in the match the crowd is going to shit on it so for them to even make that announcement it has to be Punk. I think.

I know Steamboat recently worked a six man tag but he's still a 70 year old with past health issues so I can't imagine a scenario he works a match. Unless it somehow turns into a six man tag strap match.

Yeah, but Sting has been in the "part time, special attraction, smoke and mirrors match only" role for years now. As good as he is in that role, I wouldn't expect everyone his age (or especially older) to be able to pull off the same thing. Age and injuries hit everyone different.

All in all, I think this card looks pretty good. I think TK is crazy for running Backlash a week after Mania, but the card in a vacuum looks fine. Mox/OC and Kenny/Takeshita are obviously gonna be good. Joe/Taylor will be a fun slugfest and hopefully Hobbs/Miro will match that intensity. Darby is gonna bump like a madman and make Luchasarurus' offense look great. Stat/Ruby is a nice match-up where they each get to work with someone on the same level. MJF and Cole get to do their routine. Even if they can't deliver Punk/Starks in a strap match, that's still a fun card. It's just stuck in the shadow of their biggest show ever.

• Like 1