DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Also, Hollyhood Hailey J is apparently a garbage person IRL, and it looks like the show is using her as a top babyface character.

Not apparently cause I don't know. Is she selling the ecstasy like all the kids are hopped up on these days? 

She's a white girl from a wealthy background and is doing a Cultural Appropriation, and is pretty racist when called on it. 

Also she was drinking heavily before her matches, her opponent (Dani Mo) complained to the trainers about it, the trainers called a meeting and said "Nobody is allowed to drink before their match", and as soon as the trainers left Hailey suckerpunched Dani Mo and broke her nose.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Netflix has a documentary about OVW coming out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9CISx70Oo

There is the trailer. I think Al Snow might have been working the producers on how big of a name he is, and his respect level within the business.

Also, Hollyhood Hailey J is apparently a garbage person IRL, and it looks like the show is using her as a top babyface character.

My first thought when I saw that trailer was "God I hope my friends and family that know I am a wrestling fan don't see this on Netflix and start asking 'have you seen this?'" and start asking for my opinion like I am actively watching and saying shit like "oh, you're a wrestling fan, you'll like this show on Netflix!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Netflix has a documentary about OVW coming out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9CISx70Oo

There is the trailer. I think Al Snow might have been working the producers on how big of a name he is, and his respect level within the business.

EDIT: damn double post. 

Edited by clintthecrippler

The thing that pisses me off is, these small business documentaries never acknowledge that they are serving as a promotional tool for the thing they are documenting. Whether it’s this shit  or Jeremy Clarkson’s farm or whatever other bollocks, it’s all “Thus business is struggling, we don’t know if it’s going to stay afloat”. It’s bullshit. The company was saved the second you signed the deal to film the show!

Apparently the Monster Factory docuseries is better. I think it’s on one of those streaming services nobody watches, Patamount a plus or something.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno. Maybe it's just best to blindly believe everything.

You know, I believe that you're right about this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

The trailer for the Cassandro movie came out. Looks pretty Oscar baity.

Eh, it's well liked so far - 97% on RT with 39 reviews - and I'd rather a story about an exotica be played seriously for mainstream audiences. Hell, that there's even a "Cassando biopic that looks like Oscar bait" is an incredible thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love Randy Savage but him in WCW was kinda meh. It to was similar to Hogan. His whole arrival, promotion, and so on was the same as Hogan’s, minus the former champion part. Yes I know he was the champion but that’s not how people remembered him. They remembered Hogan as the champion so he was the guy who was champion. Then Savage was the second guy. Then everybody else who arrived basically did so down to the order they rassled on WWF shows ugh. 

I thought the DDP feud was so overrated and I love DDP to. What did really hit right was when Savage joined the NWO. That WWF order was broken when The Giant joined which was a reason people wanted to see who joined next, then Savage joined exactly when it pissed us off the most, when somebody really and truly had Hogan beat in our minds. 

Now changing gears a bit on DDP. DDP got so over because he was such a good heel for such a long time. You don’t realize it but long time heels make such a good face when the turn is timed right, and his turn was 1 of the best turns ever made IMO. Just a total mark out moment. And even though he wasn’t this larger than life heel, it didn’t matter. He was like Jim Cornette or Bill Dundee. He was just such a little shit all over the TV, all the time. He was a manager here, an announcer there, and a rassler over here. That all built towards his face turn. And just like those guys he’s still remembered today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There were a few months in 96 during Hogan’s absence that Savage seemed like he was going to break out as the singles guy. He was going darker and more badass even before Nash and Hall show up and had some real momentum without the Orange Albatross weighing him down

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

There were a few months in 96 during Hogan’s absence that Savage seemed like he was going to break out as the singles guy. He was going darker and more badass even before Nash and Hall show up and had some real momentum without the Orange Albatross weighing him down

It also bears repeating that touring Savage vs Flair essentially resurrected WCW's house shows from the dead prior to their arrival as well. I respect @BloodyChamp's opinion, but gotta disagree a bit - Id call Savage meh in '99 and onward when he's got Sid, Molly Holly, and Madusa around, and there's the awful Nash feud in the summer with the sewage and the contortionist and all that bullshit - but '96-'98 Savage is crucial, crucial, crucial to the WCW recipe in that period IMO

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 8

I think it's tough to compare presentations when someone jumps from WWF to WCW especially years removed from their initial wave of success. I think this goes especially since Randy kinda fell into their laps when it seemed like he was going to be a lifer with WWF. I don't think there was a real plan for Randy when he came other than he would cross paths with Hogan, Flair, Sting, etc.

It's just going to be different overall. I don't think I fully accepted American Made, Thunder in Paradise Hulk Hogan. However, I learn how to make concessions just cause it was a different era for wrestling. Yes, guys like The Shark/Avalanche and The Brother Bruti/Zodiac were going to be archaic no matter what you did with them. In my 1994 rewatch, I just made it to the week they start hyping up the return of the Honkytonk Man (!).

However, there was clearly something left with Randy Savage. I thought he was able to harness that over the years his body was able to hold up.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

However, there was clearly something left with Randy Savage. I thought he was able to harness that over the years his body was able to hold up.

Hard agree. I don't remember whether it was Slamboree or GAB but Savage and Bret had a real sneaky good match that year that was built around working Savage's knee (which I *think* may have been legit hurt - possibly by the absurd top of the cage double axehandle at Havoc '97 after the finish of Hogan/Piper, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm thinking GAB because I'm pretty sure this was post-NWO Hollywood/Wolfpac split (I at least see Savage in red gear in my minds eye)

• Like 1

Savage is getting huge tweener reactions as late as early 1998, when he unfortunately blows out his knee right before Spring Stampede that year. He was definitely crucial and stayed hot even as the vets around him struggled to maintain a reaction.

EDIT: Savage and Hart haven't crossed paths on TV yet AFAIK, Zakk. Savage has been tied up with Luger and then Hogan. That match must have happened in 1999, unless I am wrong.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hard agree. I don't remember whether it was Slamboree or GAB but Savage and Bret had a real sneaky good match that year that was built around working Savage's knee (which I *think* may have been legit hurt - possibly by the absurd top of the cage double axehandle at Havoc '97 after the finish of Hogan/Piper, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm thinking GAB because I'm pretty sure this was post-NWO Hollywood/Wolfpac split (I at least see Savage in red gear in my minds eye)

I had to look it up, but at GAB '98 there was a Hart/Hogan vs. Piper/Savage tag match where if Hart and Hogan won, Savage and Piper had to face each other right after. I have no recollection of the reason for that stipulation.

Seems Bret and Hogan worked over Savage's knee in the tag match, forcing him to submit to a sharpshooter. Then, Piper pretty much immediately tapped him with a figure four in that ensuing match.

• Like 1