DVDVR Message Board

THE STRIKE

JLSigman

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Death Rider In The House of Vampires (2021) Official Trailer - YouTube

Just for shits 'n' grins

EDIT: God... I guess that is gonna be Julian Sands' last film. Not quite gonna be The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, that. 

As much as I have loved Danzig throughout his career, I fear that I, too, would want to wander out on a mountain if I had to watch one of his films.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, Technico Support said:

Talking out both sides of your mouth while lovingly tonguing corporate balls takes an incredible amount of talent.

Also, "well there's no new TV...let's check out this pro wrestling thing!" said nobody, ever.

Bucks said basically the same thing as Seth toward the end of their appearance on Swerve's podcast. Wrestlers! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Bucks said basically the same thing as Seth toward the end of their appearance on Swerve's podcast. Wrestlers! 

Well, the Bucks are well known idiots (and I'm a fan of them!)

• Haha 1

I'm re-reading (for about the thousandth time) The Outfit by Gus Russo and right now I'm at the part where they're talking about how the post-Capone Chicago mafia took over the AMPTP, who promptly bent TF over and ended up in mutually beneficial schemes with the Outfit, until they went after SAG and SAG said "fuck you" and got them thrown in jail. It's pretty amusing considering what's currently going on. 

• Like 2

Well, my bad, it was actually IATSE they corrupted. From Wiki: 

During the early 20th century, organized crime gained influence over parts of IATSE in collusion with employers. In June 1934, IATSE held an election with only one person running.[17] The election was rigged by the soon-to-be elected President George Brown. The other two opponents in the running suddenly dropped from the race after death threats were received. Willie Bioff, another Chicago gangster, was instantly elected Browne's "personal representative".[17]

Later that year Bioff went to Hollywood on behalf of IATSE.[18] He used violent threats to discuss a private and limited contract with studios. These contracts included weak contracts and high dues. The studios liked the protection against the union. In 1941, Bioff and other mobsters were charged with corruption leading to union members attempting to remove them from power in IATSE. However, The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees remained corrupt and reverted to fraudulent negotiating practices.[18] Some sources suggest that, in the later years, IATSE was "more interested in breaking strikes than winning them".[17]

Browne was an alcoholic union extortionist and Bioff was a particularly vile pimp that the Outfit maneuvered into being their point men and eventual fall guys for the scam. Later on Bioff got a car bomb for a going away present. The gang's major contact Johnny Roselli continued on in Hollywood for years, also working on the plot to kill Castro; he later ended up dismembered in a drum in the ocean. 

• Like 2

Here's one of the tweets from Ed Solomon I mentioned in the Michael Oher/Blindside discussion about Men In Black never turning a profit and if you follow his quote tweets you can see him discussing this off and on for a long time.

8 hours ago, jaedmc said:

That's kind of a ridiculous argument that can easily be countered by all the shitty shows with big writer rooms.

At the same time I am sure there are lots of great TV shows that were written by a small handful of people. I admit I don't know anything about TV etc. production but from the outside this one seems to be a weird hill to die on.

Another example of theaters looking for content in the future

Here’s a new one: ESPN will broadcast ACC football games and New Year’s Six bowl games this year at movie theaters, as part of a theatrical distribution agreement with Theater Sports Network.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Another example of theaters looking for content in the future

That should make the theater going experience more festive during the holidays...a bunch of rowdy and halfway deranged sports fans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1