DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

It is what it is, but the product feels hotter this last week (across all areas) than it has for a year. It's not one thing but a lot of things coming together and all of them are important. This may not be the most sustainable thing ever, but if they can keep producing shows like they have and put together cards like they are, the experience for viewers will be great.

I’m so excited for the ppv on Sunday, and then I was just thinking how I’ll be excited when it’s over too because then they can start building things towards wembley stadium. Good times, hopefully no one messes it up. 

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Log said:

I usually try not to engage with this shit, but this is the problem right here. People spouting off like they know something.

You know jack shit about how anyone involved in this feels about anything. You know jack shit about who said what in any of this. Just stop.

100000% this.

Also, nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than casual wrestling fans going on about "So AnD So IsNt A DrAw".    When did we because a fanbase that cares about ratings, gates, draws, etc?  I feel like it's only come about since the introduction of AEW and is only used to try and drag the product and compare it to WWE, which has a what, 30+ year head start?

It's not nearly as prevalent here as it is on Facebook (Dear god, wrestling groups on facebook are bottom of the fucking barrel mouth breathers), but it still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

When did we because a fanbase that cares about ratings, gates, draws, etc?

I'd posit that's a little bit of a '90s boom hangover thing (remember all the '_____ = RATINGZ' signs?) combined with, at least speaking personally, a pretty massively intense desire for this fucking thing to succeed.

So yes, I AM someone who cares about ratings/gates/draws, BUT only to the extent that I want AEW to thrive - Like, I don't give a shit who or what does a good quarter-hour, I just want it to be a good quarter-hour, if that makes sense. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Also, nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than casual wrestling fans going on about "So AnD So IsNt A DrAw".    When did we because a fanbase that cares about ratings, gates, draws, etc?

Wrestling fans in general? Forever ago. Comparing WWE vs WCW. Clowning on declining WWE ratings. Clowning on TNA. Building up Jericho and Omega based on New Japan subs. Getting excited about guys moving shirts at Hot Topic. I forget what it's like for the wrestling fanbase to not care about that stuff. It's not just since the introduction of AEW, they're just getting the usual business that everyone else in this space is subject to. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

At this point, if everyone's going to behave like children (if that's what they're doing), then Tony needs to be the Boss and not One of teh Boys.  Fire them, move on.  Punk stans don't give a shit of the Elite are canned and given leave to get their bags from Vince, and Elite stans never wanted Punk back in the first place, so if no one can be adult, fuck em, because there's probably more fans in the "pox on both your houses" camp that just want it all to go away so this shit can stop dragging down all discourse of the company than the other two camps combined.  And I say that as someone that admits there's not likely be an AEW without the Elite but I still have no time for them.

The one positive of all this is at least more people are coming around that Meltzer isn't the end all of wrestling knowledge, taste, and journalism.  Only took 30 years...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The one positive of all this is at least more people are coming around that Meltzer isn't the end all of wrestling knowledge, taste, and journalism.  Only took 30 years...

Some people it takes longer to see the light. 🙂

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

One of the most fun details of all this is corny-ass Dax auditioning to be Punk’s Ed Leslie daily.

While this is legit one of the funniest things ever, I'll be the jerk to say: let's say this Punk run actually grows the promotion, goes off super well without a hitch, and is looked back fondly upon years from now (and ESPECIALLY if by some miracle everyone can eventually learn to play nice and make a few bucks off it) - if Dax really did a big part in bringing Punk back, he'll definitely deserve some credit in the overall AEW story/annals of history; It'll be a great clue in one of SKOS' crossword puzzles, anyway.

Edit: and, yeah, as pointed out by Raz below that's most likely his intent, which is, y'know... YMMV to say the least 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

While this is legit one of the funniest things ever, I'll be the jerk to say: let's say this Punk run actually grows the promotion, goes off super well without a hitch, and is looked back fondly upon years from now (and ESPECIALLY if by some miracle everyone can eventually learn to play nice and make a few bucks off it) - if Dax really did a big part in bringing Punk back, he'll definitely deserve some credit in the overall AEW story/annals of history; It'll be a great clue in one of SKOS' crossword puzzles, anyway.

Oh, I'm sure that if everything does pan out and not turn into a massive shit show Sunday, Dax will be sure to not let anyone forget his role in any of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Dax was texting with Punk and reading the replies in real time to us at the FTR with Dax live show in LA I went to in March

First all this Bret cosplay, now he's stealing The Rock's stuff, too. Sad!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
At least he's probably got the better Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I guess that makes him the Bubba The Love Sponge of this scenario, minus the adultery, racism, and overall awfulness

That probably checks out, although I was going to suggest Dax would be like Brian Knobbs here (as in one who seemed to take Ed Leslie's place at some point there, if Colt would obviously be the Leslie in this situation).

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

When did we because a fanbase that cares about ratings, gates, draws, etc? 

Ratings? Monday Night Wars. Star ratings? Meltzer, circa the 80s?

Gates? "Record gate" has long, long been a thing. Wrestling trivia, but we still cared.

Draws? Diesel was the first time in my fandom that I remember fans giving a fig. Scrap that - Warrior post Hogan. Scrap that, too - Hogan opponents in his first run.

Etc? We're still arguing over 78,000 versus 93,000.

TL;DR it predates AEW. Old as "smart" fandom itself.

• Like 1

Dax Harwood “This one will get me some heat, but f**k it, it needs to be said. Whatever “top star” left the show in a BaD MoOd because a certain individual was there; instead of running to Dave, why not just tell the individual face to face. That’s how we used to do things back in the day.”

Tweet has since been deleted.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Back in the day …. When Dax worked the Louisiana loop for McGuirk? 

#whattamark

Joke is on you. Wait until he convinces TK to run the Rapides Parish Coliseum just so they can stay at the Alexandria Motor Lodge or some shitty Budget Inn.

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Joke is on you. Wait until he convinces TK to run the Rapides Parish Coliseum just so they can stay at the Alexandria Motor Lodge or some shitty Budget Inn.

If he can get TK to replicate the Irish McNeils Boys Club for a show, I will tip my hat to him. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Dax Harwood “This one will get me some heat, but f**k it, it needs to be said. Whatever “top star” left the show in a BaD MoOd because a certain individual was there; instead of running to Dave, why not just tell the individual face to face. That’s how we used to do things back in the day.”

Tweet has since been deleted.

Seriously!  My dude started wrestling in like 2004.  WTF is he on about?  I guess it’s incredibly old school to forget your gimmick is a gimmick.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2