DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/12/2023

The Natural

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

TK is so, so wrong about that dude…

Out of curiosity, how do you rationalize the crowd reactions and merch sales?  I’m fairly neutral on Cole personally, but continuing to pretend crowds don’t love him and he’s at least fairly good on the mic and in the ring (I’d argue he’s a very good promo) seems kinda silly to me.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I want them to keep Orange Cassidy's singles winning streak going until reaches Jade Cargill numbers before having Brody King end it to become the unstoppable force holding onto the International Title. 

Edited by evidence
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Out of curiosity, how do you rationalize the crowd reactions and merch sales?  I’m fairly neutral on Cole personally, but continuing to pretend crowds don’t love him and he’s at least fairly good on the mic and in the ring (I’d argue he’s a very good promo) seems kinda silly to me.  

Then why doesn’t that ever translate to eyeballs on screens? Viewers actively tune him out. 

Fwiw, Kevin Nash called those “hostage pops.” You’re already there so you cheer. But live crowds aren’t a great indicator of long term viability. Cole was the featured guy on nXt when it was getting its shit pushed in on Wednesdays. Y’all can argue that he wasn’t champ, but he was the main attraction. He doesn’t do numbers. It’s not just that the audience doesn’t grow while he’s on screen. It’s that a significant percentage actively do not want to see the guy and change the channel while he’s on tv.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah I've been pretty down on the last little bit of AEW but tonight was great. Lots of good shit. The Buddy/OC match. The Darby/Swerve match. I thought that was Jericho's best match in forever. Sting's promo was great. Wardlow got the Austin destroy a car spot. Hardy's return was a fun moment. The Elite / BCC stuff is clicking. Seems like momentum is building, Punk could be on his way back, FTR are here to stay.

Still hate those fucking ropes tho.

• Like 7

God fucking damn was OC/Buddy marvelous. I loved how vicious all of Buddy’s attacks on Orange’s hands looked. I visibly groaned when he was stepping and stomping on his hand. But after the match ended, it really struck me that hand work like that is really some of the safest work a wrestler can do. Orange is just so friggin’ great at selling and earning sympathy from the audience, and he knows how to both use those injuries and that sympathy into his matches. The announcers were great with the foreshadowing of OC needing to win in another way without mentioning the Mouse Trap. 

Completely different than his matches versus PAC.  Just another likely Match of the Week for my dude. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Cassidy vs Buddy was tremendous. I popped for the finish like I was a kid.

Three great matches tonight but that was by far the best, easy vote for Free TV match of the week. I still see people online talking shit about Cassidy and like how can you do that after this run?

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

You can say a lot about Jeff Hardy, but you can’t say he ever fails to get a monster pop when he returns.

He looked to be in good shape and moving better, let’s hope he keeps it together not just for his career but for his health.

• Like 4

It is the 25th time I have said it but man the pop they would get once MJF dispatches the rest of the pillars and does his bragging promo after and “Jane” plays is going to be Daniel Bryan on the cage after getting licks on Bray level pops.

• Like 6

It’s too bad that the Orange Cassidy character has to be so aloof because I would mark out if he came out during a 4 pillars promo and made some challenges. He’s way better and more over than Jungle Boy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

It is the 25th time I have said it but man the pop they would get once MJF dispatches the rest of the pillars and does his bragging promo after and “Jane” plays is going to be Daniel Bryan on the cage after getting licks on Bray level pops.

My money is on Britt coming out as the fifth pillar and it leading to Cole challenging.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

My money is on Britt coming out as the fifth pillar and it leading to Cole challenging.

Pass. 

oh yeah, that BCC bit of business was phenomenal right up until the Jackson’s got to resume living out their Toad Warrior fantasies. That was a tremendous squash beforehand, though. 

And I liked the stuff w The Firm & Hook. Looked like Hook might’ve hurt his hand rolling into the ring. Hope he’s ok.

I missed the first part of the show, but OC/Buddy was tremendous. OC is on a helluva run. And why did Kenny and The Bucks take so long to appear, letting their buddies get brutalized? And furthermore, does Kenny travel with that "manly" portrait of him and Don all the time?

Like how next week is shaping up for me to watch live in Pittsburgh next week. Jamie/DMD vs Outcasts and the TNT title match should be alot of fun. Hoping TK pulls out some sort of dream match out of his bag of tricks too 🤞🏽

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Uh excuse me? Tha fuck? How has no one called this out yet? Keith Lee is far from immobile. Dude's not even top 3 most immobile Swerve has been connected to in AEW this year. Snitch or whatever his name was, Bordeaux, & now Toa Liona. Boo this man.

You can apologize now

Keith as the low-hanging fruit used to get Cole to turn on him and join Mogul Embassy is a fine choice, but holy shit that main event was boring

Best wishes to The @DEAN

To no surprise Swerve v Darby murders in the opening slot. Nice slide into the terrific MJF-Darby-Sting talk segment. Nice Ad placement there. Darby's chatter didn't finish quite as strong as he started, but he did well and has come a long way on the stick. Very pleased with this Pillar 4 Way try. I'm totally into a 4 way which is very rare. Terribly disappointed to see Silas Young squashed by Hobbs. Would have preferred they saved the time from the lame Wardlow car wreck and given it to Silas. Okay I'm not into it, but is the crowd at large still into cars being smashed on a wrestling show? I wonder if Wardy might be better off sliding back on over to the darkside? OC v Buddy Matthews was every bit the masterpiece being discussed thus far in the thread. Fucking awesome! Everybody knows OC is kingly, but Buddy put some serious shine on his name tonight. Firm/Hardys/Privates/Hook segment was a bit unwieldy before the excellent brawl and monster pop return. Wow, ppl really love Jeff Hardy. Nice unexpected moment. Weird flow into the solid Kenny promo and awesome BCC entrance. The Jeff return and pop could have used a breath and dare I say 'replay'. I had a good feeling going in for this BCC-Cutler/Nak squash and it totally delivered. What a beautifully nasty bloody visual Brandon Cutler provided! Loved the post match Elite return. So fun! Nice to get a word from the Mogul Embassy. I loved what I saw of Riho/Skye Blue-Toni/Ruby. What the fuck was Britt Baker wearing!? Anyway. Ah damn, @MattD was right about Jericho-Keith Lee being better on paper. Not at all bad, but a bit clumsy. I missed the finish. I'm told Swerve snuck in there. It's been a long long time coming on finishing off this Big Keith-Swerve feud. I did catch the post match and final minutes with Cole out there living his WWE destiny assisting Lee. The flow of the show was a bit messy at points, but nonetheless another fucking great Wednesday night Pro Wrestling show!

• Like 4

I liked tonight's show save for Keith Lee/Jericho. That match was a little too slow and plodding for my liking.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I liked the video package for Jay White and Juice Robinson. I didn't particularly need it because I'm familiar with Jay & Juice, but it was nice to see for the fan that may not be as familiar with them. 

I'm surprised Silas Young didn't even get an entrance and got squashed, in his hometown to top it off. That's some straight up McMahon treatmemt.

I'm definitely looking forward to next week with Britt/Jamie vs. The Outcasts and Wardlow vs. Powerhouse. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

That was a great friggin' Dynamite, man. Every segment flowed into each other in an almost ECW-like way, and I loved book ending the show with Swerve- makes me wonder if his line about the Moguls not being complete wasn't referring to Parker and tattooed dickface, but a merger with JAS? Also the visual with the screwdriver in the turnbuckle pad was awesome, and a nice visual clue that they're getting on the same page as Hangman. 

This was a 9 outta 10 show for me - I'm knocking off a single point because 1) pop be damned, it didn't make logical sense for Jamie and DMD to be both late on the save AND get separate entrances, and 2) fuck the new ropes still. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I liked the video package for Jay White and Juice Robinson. I didn't particularly need it because I'm familiar with Jay & Juice, but it was nice to see for the fan that may not be as familiar with them. 

I'm surprised Silas Young didn't even get an entrance and got squashed, in his hometown to top it off. That's some straight up McMahon treatmemt. 

Ugh, I hear that. I had no expectations of Young winning, but a competitive 5 minute match would have done Hobbs better than that nonsense. And yeah that 'Bullet Club Gold' promo was excellent. I like Juice as King Switch's lackey. Would've been nice to get Ricky's thoughts as well.