DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Imagining what the board would have been like in 1982, with people arguing whether Memphis or Mid-South or Georgia or Charlotte was the best promotion in the country. 

That's not an argument though.  The answer is Portland.

14 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Honestly if the Observer Awards voters were really smart they'd give all the awards to TJPW.

Every wrestler has a well-defined character, most with long and compelling story arcs.

And every once in a while their best wrestlers show up in AEW to do jobs for Wrasslin' Pittsburgh Dentist.

And of course Kento Miyahara's out there in AJPW having 5-star matches with anything that moves.

But God forbid they look at a non-NJPW or NJPW-affiliated fed in Japan...

The TJPW women had a good showcase at the NOAH show too... Too short but what can you do.. was a fun match 

Honestly, if people make passionate posts about the promotions they like, most of us would be willing to check things out and even learn. I watched a recent CMLL show because of a post (and will likely watch more). I checked out and now love 90’s Joshi because of posts in the past. Half the fun of AEW is the dialogue on these threads and the discord during PPV’s being with my only wrestling friends. Recent memory of the WWE threads were pretty boring, now we’re seeing actual long and interesting discussions on feuds and predictions. 

A community can be created. Whenever I ask questions in the often barren Lucha section, I get very informed answers by different people. Why not have a Club CMLL and post reactions to the events they post on their YouTube. I don’t know much but I like Bárbaro Cavernario and Soberano Jr. I’d like to like more modern luchadors. Let me be your Jasmine on your magic carpet ride.

Noah is awesome. I enjoy Nakajima and I get pumped up from kicks. That and Big Japan Strong Heavyweights are my favorite styles of wrestling. I don’t have Wrestle Universe but I’m always on the fence. I don’t have it mainly because who would I talk about it with? Maybe a “Woah for NOAH” club where Belgium Waffle and Red King dissect their favorite kicks? I’d be down for that. 

Impact won’t get me back in until they add more unnecessary sides to their rings.

I really liked learning modern Joshi from Stephanie and would like to follow it more. Ice Ribbon seems so fun. Stardom seems badass. TJPW is on Wrestle Universe (right?).

I guess my rambling is merely rambling to ramble. I’m sure if you’re looking for a dialogue, be the trailblazer and post your thoughts on a promotion you love in detail. People like myself may be ignorant on all the names or storylines, but will happily learn from the path any of you set out. 

Edited by Octopus
Spelling
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

A few weeks back, I watched the Jack Brisco/Roddy Piper Mid-Atlantic title change from July 1982. Perhaps the best hour of TV I ever seen. That is a master class of how to create the perfect heel.

Watched that a few days ago from a tweet that posts old school stuff..    Was absolutely perfect. 

35 minutes ago, Dog said:

Is there a good/easy way to watch Stardom?

Their streaming site is Stardom World. Its $7-9 a month. Every current show is eventually uploaded. PPVs are usually uploaded around 2-3 days after they air. The current site should have everything from 2017 and on. Its missing chunks of the 2011-2016 years (especially 2014). That stuff you might be able to find a decent amount on youtube. If there is a wrestler you are interested and looking for noteworthy matches from there feel free to ask. There are a lot of women who had short stints or decent runs there before being hired up by WWE the past 8 years or so. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

so, i don't follow WWE, but i thought of this fact recently:

the only wrestlers to hold both the NWA and WWE World Heavyweight Championships

• [note 1: this is for the NWA Title, not the WCW Title]
  • [note 2: this includes either the WWE World Title or WWE Universal Title]:

Buddy Rogers: NWA 1x (10/30/62-1/24/63), WWE (inaugural 4/11/63-5/17/63)
Ric Flair: NWA 10+x , WWE 2x
AJ Styles: NWA 3x, WWE 2x
**Kurt Angle (defeats NWA champ 5/13/07, WWE 4x) **Kurt was considered the first TNA champion and not NWA champion)

will Cody Rhodes become the 4th wrestler to ever win both the NWA and WWE World Championships?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I probably wouldn't mind as much if MJF wasn't basically Shane Douglas with better press...

Holy shit. You just scratched my itch of " Who does MJF remind me of, really? It ain't Piper."  And I like MJF. What's Francine doing? 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

so, i don't follow WWE, but i thought of this fact recently:

the only wrestlers to hold both the NWA and WWE World Heavyweight Championships

• [note 1: this is for the NWA Title, not the WCW Title]
  • [note 2: this includes either the WWE World Title or WWE Universal Title]:

Buddy Rogers: NWA 1x (10/30/62-1/24/63), WWE (inaugural 4/11/63-5/17/63)
Ric Flair: NWA 10+x , WWE 2x
AJ Styles: NWA 3x, WWE 2x
**Kurt Angle (defeats NWA champ 5/13/07, WWE 4x) **Kurt was considered the first TNA champion and not NWA champion)

will Cody Rhodes become the 4th wrestler to ever win both the NWA and WWE World Championships?

I think you forgot Christian Cage

Stardom is soooo good it is highly worth ~$8 per month. The only thing I’d say is when I signed up at the end of 2021 it seems like there were a lot fewer ppvs and more shows that would just directly air on world. They’ve gotten ridiculous with multiple ppvs per month now. I only order the 4-5 biggest ones and otherwise just wait a few days to watch on world. Everyone on the roster is at least good. Every match on the cards is at least good. It’s colorful and funny and brutal all at the same time. Perfect wrestling. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I probably wouldn't mind as much if MJF wasn't basically Shane Douglas with better press...

MJF would be Shane Douglas if Shane didn't have reasons to be angry at people not working for his current promotion?

At least that's a nicer comp than saying that MJF is if ECW made Jason the Sexiest Man Alive their World Champ.

Now, if MJF was the abandoned son of Chris Candido and Tammy Sytch then..

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

MJF would be Shane Douglas if Shane didn't have reasons to be angry at people not working for his current promotion?

At least that's a nicer comp than saying that MJF is if ECW made Jason the Sexiest Man Alive their World Champ.

Now, if MJF was the abandoned son of Chris Candido and Tammy Sytch then..

Because it's the hip thing to shit on him (and yes some of that he's brought on himself ex: Extreme Reunion) people forget that Shane Douglas was actually pretty damned good in the ring until his body pretty much fell apart at the end of his ECW run in 1999 and as a heel was as good as anyone in the business. The angle where he shook Pit Bull I' s halo was one of the craziest and most heated things ever with fans literally trying to hop the guardrail to attack him. Another great irony is that he had several great matches with Pit Bull II (who wasn't exactly a great in ring guy) but the one on the PPV stunk out the joint and was their only bad one.

• Like 2

the Pitbulls are probably forgotten in the realm of limited tag teams that ECW really made look like something special

anyways, another criticism of Shane Douglas would be that a certain amount of his micwork really didn't age great (although some of it wouldn't get censored now, so..)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Pitbulls are probably forgotten in the realm of limited tag teams that ECW really made look like something special

anyways, another criticism of Shane Douglas would be that a certain amount of his micwork really didn't age great (although some of it wouldn't get censored now, so..)

The Pitbulls vs Raven/Richards 2/3 double dog collar match was one of the greatest matches of the decade entirely due to the storytelling. Match itself was a bit sloppy at points but it was IMO Paul's greatest booking masterpiece culminating with 911 FINALLY chokeslamming Bill Alfonzo and the largest pop in ECW Arena history (I remember going crazy watching it at home on MSG as a kid and woke my poor dad up). They were actually the definition of carriable stiffs.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:10 AM, Cobra Commander said:

I think Shane's issue was he bought way too much into himself. However, you can argue that's what it takes to be a top guy. When Flair left WCW in 1991, there was a crew of guys that was fighting to the next big superstars who weren't in WWF. The younger guys who never got that chance (Douglas, Austin, Dustin Rhodes who just happened to be the booker's son, Windham who been touted for that spot for almost a decade, Cactus Jack, the Steiners, Pillman, etc.) pretty much became the glue guys. However, it became apparent that their level was the tag belts, the TV title, or the US title. By the time Flair came back and then was firmly entrenched as the man again, most of those guys were still in virtually the same place, gone, or basically demoted. You had A LOT of guys with chips on their shoulders. In the case of Shane Douglas, I think that chip became an albatross. He was never going to be what he believed he could be. Not when you have a surplus of amazing talent out there. He wasn't going to be the same as Shawn Michaels, who if you look at some of his Midnight Rockers stuff you knew could be a top guy despite being much smaller in a wrestling world filled with roided giants. He wasn't going to be Steve Austin, where people pegged him to be a top guy a year into the business when he was living off tuna working in what was left of Memphis and Dallas. He wasn't going to be his fellow Dominic DeNucci trained cohort Mick Foley, where he succeeded despite a ton of obstacles in his way. Yeah, Shane got done dirty but so did just about everyone else who wasn't already a made man by the time the Monday Night Wars started. 

Like I prefer the young, good looking hard working Shane Douglas from the first half of the 90s and not pretending to have wrestled a fucking five star classic against Al Snow at a podunk looking Cobb County Civic Center as the broken down, oft injured roid gutted, greasy Dustin Hoffman in American Buffalo looking Franchise caricature.

It's hard to compare MJF to Shane cause Shane got saddled with the Dynamic Dudes thing and then had two non-factor runs in the WWF with a very solid run as a tag team guy with Ricky Steamboat sandwiched in between all that. Hell, he even did some work as enhancement talent before that. We had a good eight or nine years of Shane before he even threw down the NWA title. Shit, AEW itself is barely 3 years old.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I think you forgot Christian Cage

i believe Christian only won WWE's World Heavyweight Championship. since that's kinda sorta a continuation of the WCW title, i wasn't counting it.

the entire 'multiple world champions' thing bothers me for purely arbitrary reasons. if others want to count Christian among that group, i wouldn't disagree. but i would have him asterisked alongside Kurt Angle.

24 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i believe Christian only won WWE's World Heavyweight Championship. since that's kinda sorta a continuation of the WCW title, i wasn't counting it.

the entire 'multiple world champions' thing bothers me for purely arbitrary reasons. if others want to count Christian among that group, i wouldn't disagree. but i would have him asterisked alongside Kurt Angle.

You'd be one of the only ones, including WWE itself, that counts the WWE Big Gold as a continuation of the WCW.  While they reused the design, it's a seperate splinter of the WWE, like the Universal is(was) now.  

i'm perfectly aware that the WWE WHC is not officially a continuation of the WCW title. but in my head, it makes too much sense not to be.

at the end of 2001, Chris Jericho beat WCW champ the Rock and WWF champ Steve Austin to unify the belts and create the Undisputed WWE Championship. he continued to carry both belts separately.

Jericho lost the Undisputed Championship to HHH, where it then hotshotted to Hogan, Taker, and Rock before ending up in the hands of Brock Lesnar. sometime during HHH's reign, WWE introduced 1 new belt instead of 2 separate ones.

Lesnar signed an exclusivity deal with Smackdown, leaving Raw with no championship representation (we are shortly after the initial brand split at this point). 

IN MY HEAD CANON, Raw GM Eric Bischoff refused to recognize Lesnar's claim to the title after he refused to face #1 contender HHH. so Bischoff stripped Lesnar of his half of the championship, in this case the WCW side based on the belt used, and awarded it to HHH. Thus ending the "undisputed" era of the belt.

Again, i know that WWE doesn't see it this way. but it just makes sense, and i like it better this way.

now, the Universal Championship? i got nothing.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 5