DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Looking at swatches for new suits 

Today, I watched the 2/25/1984 episode of Mid South where Mr. Wrestling II slaps Magnum T.A. at the contract signing with JYD. I dunno what the hell Boyd was wearing but it looked like a tangerine or grapefruit threw up all over itself. 

I found a quote that better describes it on 411mania:

-Originally aired February 25, 1984.

-Your hosts are Boyd Pierce and Jim Ross and Boyd’s suit alone accounts for the 9 that this episode will get at the bottom. He looks like he’s wearing beaded seat covers.
  • Like 1

Just saw that episode a couple days ago, and that suit was amazing. It looked like a pineapple upside down cake print. And he had a matching tie for it, too!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Is [Boyd] suppose to be taking notes? Is he catching up on his reading?

isn't he either the timekeeper or right next to a timekeepers bell? I think there was a bell next to him when Mid-South changes their intro in 1984 to include a brief clip of Boyd at the table

• Like 1

Still remember THAT Piledriver and reaction to it. WWE briefly uploaded the full match without commercials before it was taken down regrettably. It's the second best John Cena/CM Punk match behind Money in the Bank 2011 I gave ***** to.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Is he suppose to be taking notes? Is he catching up on his reading?

My favorite Boyd Pierce non-reaction is when DiBiase turns heel on JYD. The crowd is in shock, JYD lies unconscious in the ring, and the segment ends with Boyd emotionlessly saying, “so Ted DiBiase is the new North American heavyweight champion; that means we’ll have more action, there’ll be standby matches after this commercial message.”

• Haha 4

This thread and the WWE Network thread got me to start watching the Mid-South episodes from the beginning (which is December 1981, says it’s season 3). Having watched some of the World Class episodes from the same era, there is a fair amount of overlap particularly in the jobbers.

Anyway, there are a lot of the same people in the front row at the various tapings. I noticed that one of the women, who must have been in her late 40s/early 50s, has a 35mm camera and is taking photos. Wondering if she was with a newspaper or freelancing for magazines, and if so if her archives are available anywhere. If she’s just a fan, it would be wild for someone to try and track her family down to see if there are still photos/negatives.

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Today, I watched the 2/25/1984 episode of Mid South where Mr. Wrestling II slaps Magnum T.A. at the contract signing with JYD. I dunno what the hell Boyd was wearing but it looked like a tangerine or grapefruit threw up all over itself. 

I found a quote that better describes it on 411mania:

Like clockwork: A few weeks later on the 3/24/84 episode, Cornette tells Boyd that he didn't recognize Boyd "without [his] suit plugged in."

Boyd's got the energy of a corpse, but his terse response of "Stay focused on the match, please" was pretty much perfect. 

• Like 1

It’s been about a year since we lost the great Scott Hall and he was on my mind today on a Sunday afternoon like the kind of afternoon I used to watch rasslin. I was thinking about the convo he had with Sting that’s been repeated many times and that everybody knows  about, which led to The Crow Sting.

That convo captured everything about WCW and about Scott Hall in a nutshell each. There you had Sting, WCW’s baby, thinking about a new gimmick or atleast some kind of change. He had pretty good idea to wear black because black was cool in the late 90s and you had to be cool to be cool. Or something. WCW had alot of good ideas, as we’ve discussed. They’d even go as far as to stick them on TV and see. They would never have a foundation to work from though, and they would always be expected to produce returns right away. Sting deciding to wear black and look tough would have been no different than...say...Van Hammer deciding he was a hippie. 

Then there was Scott Hall, who Jim Ross said was 1 of the best wrestling minds. The convo with Sting proves it. Sting told him what he was thinking about doing and it was Hall who told him basically what I said above. He explained that it had to have a foundation to spring off of, and that it had to be all out. Not just changing ring clothes and acting different for no reason. 

• Like 6

Has there ever been a performer on a wrestling show like Bill Mercer in WCCW? He was one of the absolute worst announcers of all time, but the segments he did and produced like the Freebirds at the pool, David and Garvin in the barn, investigative reporting from Akbar's office, tea with Chris Adams, etc, etc were fucking fantastic. He was SO good in the vignettes while also being a fucking awful announcer. 

• Like 2

I didn’t get to watch much of him or Boyd Pierce but the fact that they both came up in this fashion proves that there was something great to them. Look at Lance Russell or Gordon Solie who everybody just loves as other examples. There were not the world’s most exciting announcers, but they were the best at announcing. One reason why was their timing, and their gnack for playing cool off of the color guy’s hot. Boyd and Bill had some of that going on also.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

also the Undertaker as a talking head for anything is just so fucking weird to see... like in the same realm of Abdullah the Butcher talking on video

Anyone else remember when wrestling comedy site Our So Called Sport published a weekly column from BikerTaker called "The Learning Tree?"

https://web.archive.org/web/20020205080836/http://oursocalledsport.com/learningtree.html

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Has there ever been a performer on a wrestling show like Bill Mercer in WCCW? He was one of the absolute worst announcers of all time, but the segments he did and produced like the Freebirds at the pool, David and Garvin in the barn, investigative reporting from Akbar's office, tea with Chris Adams, etc, etc were fucking fantastic. He was SO good in the vignettes while also being a fucking awful announcer. 

Bill Mercer is unfairly looked upon without taking it in its proper context. He was a local DFW mainstay for decades in both radio and television. The man who told Lee Harvey Oswald that he had just been booked for shooting John F Kennedy, for crying out loud, during a press briefing. He called commentary for the Dallas Texans, Cowboys (including the infamous Ice Bowl game), Texas Rangers and various college bowl games. Oh and by the way, the voice of Dallas rasslin’ since the 1960s. Dude is a legend and a sweetheart of a guy who is genuinely touched that people still remember him. I’m also proud to say that he’s a friend.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Did Todd Pettengill ever do commentary? There's an alternate timeline where he ends up doing WWE play-by-play instead of Michael Cole, and I wonder what that would have sounded like

I remember him doing commentary on wwf action zone. I think it was him and Gorilla Monsoon.

6 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Bill Mercer is unfairly looked upon without taking it in its proper context. He was a local DFW mainstay for decades in both radio and television. The man who told Lee Harvey Oswald that he had just been booked for shooting John F Kennedy, for crying out loud, during a press briefing. He called commentary for the Dallas Texans, Cowboys (including the infamous Ice Bowl game), Texas Rangers and various college bowl games. Oh and by the way, the voice of Dallas rasslin’ since the 1960s. Dude is a legend and a sweetheart of a guy who is genuinely touched that people still remember him. I’m also proud to say that he’s a friend.

Oh, a he's legend and a by all accounts a lovely guy. I'm just saying he was a pretty terrible wrestling announcer while being one of the greatest off site reporters in wrestling history. Mark Lowrence wasn't better. World Class never really had a great announcer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I remember him doing commentary on wwf action zone. I think it was him and Gorilla Monsoon.

He was also on a couple of those Manhattan Center Raw's from way back as a color guy for a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Oh, a he's legend and a by all accounts a lovely guy. I'm just saying he was a pretty terrible wrestling announcer while being one of the greatest off site reporters in wrestling history. Mark Lowrence wasn't better. World Class never really had a great announcer. 

Mercer and Lowrence were the perfect announcers for World Class, a Gordon Solie type wouldn't have been a good fit. World Class needed Von Erich homers who were able show disgust at the heel doing heel things, the disappointment when something didn't go the Von Erich's way and the same shock the fans had when something crazy happened. 

• Like 3