DVDVR Message Board

2023 GENERAL RIP THREAD

RIPPA

This is one of those rare moments where it would be neat if hell actually existed and Robertson is currently in the process of having an 11th red hot poker shoved up his butt.

• Like 6

He gave me the creeps growing up, and it was guaranteed it was going to be on a tv if my grandmother was watching us as kids.

For those that subscribe to Christianity, so many Christians miss the point of leading people to God.

• Like 3

I’m currently declaring a SBG/Iron Sheik/Pat Robertson trifecta to avoid a trifecta with a third old wrestler death. I’m sure there was a certain amount of kayfabe to Pat Robertson even if he mostly believed his stuff

Granted I don’t think Pat inspired as many pro wrestler promo styles as other televangelists

Jim Bakker is still alive but he’s pretty much on the fringes of TV.

So we might have reached the moment where Joel Osteen is the most prominent televised preacher and he’s notorious for different reasons than Pat and Jerry

Edit: I forgot that Jimmy Swaggart is still alive

Edited by Cobra Commander

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

So we might have reached the moment where Joel Osteen is the most prominent televised preacher and he’s notorious for different reasons than Pat and Jerry

He gives me the creeps for different reasons. Although, he was a bit ahead of his time. He was one of the first people I know to livestream to a big audience on the internet. 

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m currently declaring a SBG/Iron Sheik/Pat Robertson trifecta to avoid a trifecta with a third old wrestler death. I’m sure there was a certain amount of kayfabe to Pat Robertson even if he mostly believed his stuff

Granted I don’t think Pat inspired as many pro wrestler promo styles as other televangelists

What about Pat Cooper? 

As for Pat Robertson, I can't remember ever seeing him really preach on a 700 Club episode. Instead he was just behind the desk like he was trying to be some sort of journalist doing op-eds about Satan and Lesbians and Abortion and the such. Maybe that was different when he was a minister before running for President

Then again, I'm also too young to have really seen any Bakker/Swaggart before they went down and considering the connections between Bakker and Robertson, I'd guess Jim and Tammy had some similarities to 700 Club episodes.

Not venturing into the forbidden zone for this board, but even if Pat Robertson sorta faded off the scene ala Don King in Boxing, he got the ball rolling on things have have had a pretty big impact.

On 6/8/2023 at 6:38 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Not venturing into the forbidden zone for this board, but even if Pat Robertson sorta faded off the scene ala Don King in Boxing, he got the ball rolling on things have have had a pretty big impact.

That's an understatement.

On 6/8/2023 at 6:38 PM, Cobra Commander said:

As for Pat Robertson, I can't remember ever seeing him really preach on a 700 Club episode. Instead he was just behind the desk like he was trying to be some sort of journalist doing op-eds about Satan and Lesbians and Abortion and the such. Maybe that was different when he was a minister before running for President

Then again, I'm also too young to have really seen any Bakker/Swaggart before they went down and considering the connections between Bakker and Robertson, I'd guess Jim and Tammy had some similarities to 700 Club episodes.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, driver said:

That's an understatement.

I shouldn't open the forbidden door either, but I gotta because I just watched this over the weekend and think you would really like it because of similar subject matter: If you haven't seen 'Shiny Happy People' on Prime yet, I highly recommend it - they investigate the Duggar family (19 Kids and Counting) and the IBLP religious group that they are members of/spokesmen for. Lots of no-nos with young kids and the mysogony and everything you'd expect, all while pushing this weird 'Christian' rhetoric that, spoiler alert, doesn't have a single thing to do with Christianity. They interview some of those who have gotten out, and it's *super* fascinating so far (on ep 3)

• Like 1

Cornette did a 40+ minute segment on televangelists before Pat Robertson died and it actually wasn't as unbearable as his usual podcast segments on religion/politics (mostly thanks to Benny Hinn and Ernest Angley) but maybe Jim can verify if Pat Robertson's promo skills weren't as good as the other televangelists

Sorry Pat, any good Baptist preacher wouldn't be seated while telling us of the eternal damnation coming to various sinners. Get outta your chair

Anyways... Berlusconi merited an AP Breaking News alert on my phone but Pat Robertson didn't

(The AP app is one of a few apps i'll let push alerts since it's possible for news to happen while i'm asleep and I might wanna know the news when I wake up)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 1:25 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, has died. He was found dead in his prison cell this morning.

He was 81.  

On the subject of infamous American criminals dying in prison, disgraced former FBI agent and convicted Soviet mole, Robert Hanssen, passed away on June 6th.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

RIP Cormac McCarthy. Blood Meridian. All the Pretty Horses. The Road. No Country for Old Men. That is one hell of a legacy to leave behind. An all time great author. What a loss.

Edit: missed that there was a separate thread for this. Apologies.

What a shitty bit of news to wake up to.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Sad 1

Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers to the NYT and went on to be an anti-war and anti-nuclear activist, has passed away at 92 from pancreatic cancer.

One of the 20th century's great heroes.  RIP

• Like 4