DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You must've really loved that episode of Parks and Rec where she drops trou

Uh. Yes. At the meeting in the library where they’re trying to free Tom from her clutches.

I think I only watched Will and Grace just for her. My crushes are very weird.

• Haha 1

Also, man, not too many of us talked about that last season of Rez Dogs, but it was nearly perfect. The entire series is just so beautiful and funny.

My daughter has been struggling with fears of death and things like that and I’ve been thinking about watching Rez Dogs with her. Those final two episodes…man…they really got me and it’s a wonderful way to think of the impact people have on the lives of others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Also, man, not too many of us talked about that last season of Rez Dogs, but it was nearly perfect. The entire series is just so beautiful and funny.

My daughter has been struggling with fears of death and things like that and I’ve been thinking about watching Rez Dogs with her. Those final two episodes…man…they really got me and it’s a wonderful way to think of the impact people have on the lives of others.

We still haven't watched the finale. I almost don't want to because I don't want it to end 😭

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Uh. Yes. At the meeting in the library where they’re trying to free Tom from her clutches.

I think I only watched Will and Grace just for her. My crushes are very weird.

See, I'm such a weirdo I looked at blurred nude Mrs. Mullahy and thought "eh, she looks better with clothes on I bet, like on Will and Grace". Kinda like Lucy Lawless too *badum-ching*

Their cast is definitely the only reason I've turned on Charmed to fall asleep to at 3 in the morning

3 hours ago, Coletti said:

We still haven't watched the finale. I almost don't want to because I don't want it to end 😭

My wife and I were in that boat. It's a hard one to say goodbye to, but it's such a sweet ending and it's only 3 seasons that we could go back to whenever.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, Raziel said:

There's a line to walk, in reference to my comment.  So, Cowboy Bebop deviated from the source, for a mix of good and bad, and while it was interesting, it was enough that it got nuked.  

Now, you go with Witcher and Altered Carbon, well, both S1's stayed close to the source, but it wasn't a 1:1 and it ended up really good an praised, but S2 deviated from the source VERY much so, where the source was much more interesting and would've made better TV than what ended up getting put to film.  The other difference is source medium.  With anime/magna/comics you can get away with more as the original mediums were visual and therefore would should try something different.  With books, there's far more instances were sticking very close to the source that it ends up better overall, as you can bring a vision to life, rather than rehash something we've seen.

There's also Netflix's penchant for pulling the plug super early on pretty much anything that doesn't hit a certain view number in a week.

Addenum:

This rule does not apply to Castlevania.  Castlevania might be the greatest video game adaptation ever created and its interpertations of the source have done nothing but add to the story.

Spiderwick Chronicles - which was one of those shows that filming was finished but never aired because it got cancelled due to cost cutting reasons (this time it was Disney) - has found a new home with Roku.

It is expected to air on The Roku Channel in early 2024

Dammit anyway. I really should watch the Castlevania series at some point. Well, both series now I guess.

For the most part, I have shied away from watching anything animated on Netflix just because anime just isn't my thing, but there is an itch there that needs to be scratched  with Castlevania and Voltron.

Orphan Black:  Echoes

EPs: John Fawcett (co-creator of Orphan Black) and Anna Fishko (The Society, Fear the Walking Dead)

Starring: Krysten Ritter, Rya Kihlstedt, James Hiroyuki Liao.

TBA 2024

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Bodies

Created by Paul Tomalin

Cast (recurring):

• Shira Haas as DC Maplewood
  • Stephen Graham as Elias Mannix
  • Jacob Fortune-Lloyd as DS Whiteman
  • Kyle Soller as DI Hillinghead
  • Amaka Okafor as DS Hasan

Based on the graphic novel, Bodies, by Si Spencer (Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, The Vinyl Underground)

DC Films promoting the excellent Vertigo content on streaming services rather than half assing DC materiel in theaters.  I like this plan.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

BILLIONS!!!!

LETS

FUCKING 

GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fucking Angel of Death by Slayer playing at the end. Fuck yes. This final season sure took its sweet ass time getting to the good shit, but now we’re here.

I don't know if season 3 of Only Murders in the Building is going to be any good compared to the first two, but the episode "White Room" has a couple real zingers:

-- Tina Fey reminding us all that "it's amazing the amount of steaming horseshit you can sell the American public if you tell them it's organic."

-- In a perfectly white room, the whitest thing in the room is still Steve Martin.

• Like 1

I thought that the third season was the best so far. It's amazing how well Selena Gomez works as straight woman for Martin Short's and Steve Martin's humor. Meryl Streep delivers big in a couple of scenes and the musical stuff they did is pretty catchy and pretty well integrated into the story. And having a Mel Brooks cameo is definitely not a negative either.

I liked Da'Vine Randolph on High Fidelity because her particular brand of "pay attention to me or I will suffocate in my own insecurity and loneliness" obnoxiousness worked there, but I cannot STAND her on this.  I wish they'd cut her loose.  I'm about to watch the last ep, and yeah, I don't really think much of this season compared to the first one, but Paul Rudd's big moment towards the end is a simple scene (one I guessed as soon as the "footage" gets shown much earlier in the season) but really, really effective.  I kinda almost didn't think he had that in him; even his most schlubby roles usually have too much likeability to them, which this one certainly didn't, and that moment finally brings you back around to see Ben in a more authentic light.