Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022


The Natural
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, A_K said:

Woah. "Let's forcibly shut down discourse because I don't like the sentiment!". Not sure that's the way to go to be honest. "Cunts", "clowns" .. anything else to throw out there? Pass over a comment or debate to the other-side; AEW gets credit (e.g. - Kingston / MJF would be a compelling storyline from two people who have built out unique & over characters), the question of why the tv audiences have abandoned in droves deserves conversation too (just as it did frequently & deservedly when the shoe was on the other foot with WWE). The world need not be candy floss or ash.

Civility wins the day.

But what you're forgetting sir, is that @AxB is actually a Clegane...
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

As far as I'm concerned, Kingston is the best worker in AEW.  I agree with the sentiment that he deserves a World Title run more than anyone and I'll be honest, i initially wanted him to have a short-ish, fluke win just for the pop, but i think he deserves more.  Whether he wants more is another story all together, but no one is more deserving.

MJF holds the belt through 2023 and early 2024.

Kingston earns a shot at Double or Nothing 2024 and finally takes the title from that SOB... only to immediately have the Casino BR winner cash in on him and take it away.

Could be a dastardly heel, could be a face that you want to turn. It cannot be someone who 'deserves' it. As much as I'd love a Miro/Andrade/Black/Claudio type there would be a part of the crowd cheering them.

It needs to be an absolute dickbag like Swerve, Ethan Page or... wait for it... Kingston's buddy Ortiz!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

But what you're forgetting sir, is that @AxB is actually a Clegane...
 

No - he was just being rude and offensive. Given how the 'collective' are quick to call out gross behaviour in the outside world, it is enormous hypocrisy to let it fly or even 'like' / embrace it within the community. Call a spade a spade. No excuses: no "having said that..". Have manners; be civil. Easy.

 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As much as I am not a fan of stuff like The Breakfast Club and The Shade Room and a lot of the weird narratives being pushed on those platforms (with the former, recently, the idea black people need to get into crypto ain't really looking so hot right now), I can admit that is a bigger plus for a Jade Cargill than what I probably would have expected. 

I mean this whole thing with Bow Wow is helping his career more than her's really. Hell, in a few years, Bow Wow probably won't even be the most famous person in his immediate family. His daughter Shai, from a previous relationship with the lovely Joie Chavis, is already kinda a TikTok/social media star already. She is on the verge of easily eclipsing his celebrity. So he needs this more than Jade to stay relevant.

However, I do like and hope that AEW keeps a more nuanced approach. As much I love it today for the nostalgia factor, the HBO approach with KO Nation where we will have hip hop performances between B and C level fights and move boxing from late night to the middle of the afternoon didn't work. When 50 Cent and Jay Z did it with SMS Boxing and Roc Boxing respectively, it didn't work at all. Triller is still trying to jam rap in everyone's face. Still ain't working. You have to keep being subtle and also remember the actual content is still king.

All you need really is the rub from being around it.

Jade would seem destined to out-grow PW, full star-power. Still only 30, too. p.s. -- likely a 30% pure upside in BTC at the moment, but deep down (as with all assets) next year. As with all things, time will tell ..

Edited by A_K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Jade gets a run in WWE eventually.

She's not the greatest worker but she carries herself like an absolute megastar and with the WWE production budget behind her, the on screen presentation would be incredible.

Her Mania gear/entrance alone would put her over most of the roster.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Sounds like something an idiot invested in Bitcoin would say

I'm a multi-millionaire net-short in the market since January 2022, but you do you my friend. We will re-visit that post before the end of this year. I won't call you vulgar for that insult, as your naivety is cute.

Anyway, back to the wrestling!

Edited by A_K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

I think Jade gets a run in WWE eventually.

She's not the greatest worker but she carries herself like an absolute megastar and with the WWE production budget behind her, the on screen presentation would be incredible.

Her Mania gear/entrance alone would put her over most of the roster.

She doesn’t want to go there. I think they really rubbed her the wrong way with the “were your new family” schtick.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you John

That's something I was wondering about because Punk recently had that mma commentary gig where he pokes fun at not belonging in any locker rooms and making light of things, from some online perspectives at least

 

And when the Bucks "gave a receipt" there's some backlash and there's even hot takes talking about-

 

"Well this just proves Punk right when he said he was working with children" 

 

- related to the Bucks and their BTE video yesterday 

 

So my curiosity, in reading various takes via various sites and blogs was-

 

Ok Punk didn't take a dig at anyone but he did make light, and folks were okay with him joking around (maybe since he didn't take any digs? Dunno)

 

But the Bucks in their BTE clip add that muting the music to let the crowds chant seep in, and folks are going tribal taking up for Punk

 

Is my read of the situation 

But then this guy posts about "if it's all a work" and I'm throwing my hands up in the air thinking we'd collectively moved past that months ago?

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A_K said:

I'm a multi-millionaire net-short in the market since January 2022, but you do you my friend. We will re-visit that post before the end of this year. I won't call you vulgar for that insult, as your naivety is cute.

Anyway, back to the wrestling!

But do you drive a Dodge Stratus?

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

 

Between Jade and Rick Ross AEW seems to really be getting traction on black/hip hop twitter. Maybe they've tapped an underserved market

I think Swerve has really helped AEW with that considerably. I believe he has actually really networked with people in hip-hop as his has made a serious attempt to pursue his own ventures as an artist outside of wrestling. 

WWE has really missed the boat with tapping in with that market because most mainstream artists they work with are past their social relevancy or when they get someone that is. They are put in a role that the non wrestling fan can't take seriously. You got people like Wale and to a lesser extent Peter Rosenberg try to bridge that gap by having guts on his platform.

AEW does a much better job featuring people like Ross and Trina and people like that who are actual wrestling fans. It was cool seeing Fabolous come out with Swerve and Keith Lee to the ring. Outside of thar one time with Snoop AEW doesn't have those forced "SportsCenter" "Extra" type moments WWE likes to have to get some outside attention.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

The ROH purchase has nothing to do with the AEW financially. Didn't TK buy it separately?

It clearly has something to do with AEW considering Jericho is the ROH champion and other than the ROH PPV events, all the ROH matches and title bouts are happening on AEW TV and programming. 

As for Bow Wow, this is the first time i recall him being culturally relevant since he did a few guest spots on Entourage.

Edited by TheVileOne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It clearly has something to do with AEW considering Jericho is the ROH champion and other than the ROH PPV events, all the ROH matches and title bouts are happening on AEW TV and programming. 

As for Bow Wow, this is the first time i recall him being culturally relevant since he did a few guest spots on Entourage.

In terms of finances, they are separate. Buying ROH isn't on AEW's ledger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I think Swerve has really helped AEW with that considerably. I believe he has actually really networked with people in hip-hop as his has made a serious attempt to pursue his own ventures as an artist outside of wrestling. 

WWE has really missed the boat with tapping in with that market because most mainstream artists they work with are past their social relevancy or when they get someone that is. They are put in a role that the non wrestling fan can't take seriously. You got people like Wale and to a lesser extent Peter Rosenberg try to bridge that gap by having guts on his platform.

AEW does a much better job featuring people like Ross and Trina and people like that who are actual wrestling fans. It was cool seeing Fabolous come out with Swerve and Keith Lee to the ring. Outside of thar one time with Snoop AEW doesn't have those forced "SportsCenter" "Extra" type moments WWE likes to have to get some outside attention.

I love how much they look like they actually want to be there and don't look embarrassed to be on a wrestling show. 

Swerve has been great doing his heel work on his own but I really want the return of heel Rick Ross managing him and cutting promos on Keith Lee.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Infinit said:

In terms of finances, they are separate. Buying ROH isn't on AEW's ledger.

They aren't separate when they are promoting both brands and titles together on the same shows. They are now invariably tied due to Tony Khan's own doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

They aren't separate when they are promoting both brands and titles together on the same shows. They are now invariably tied due to Tony Khan's own doing.

Yes...but ROH is not on AEW's financial ledger. That was the original point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I think Swerve has really helped AEW with that considerably. I believe he has actually really networked with people in hip-hop as his has made a serious attempt to pursue his own ventures as an artist outside of wrestling. 

WWE has really missed the boat with tapping in with that market because most mainstream artists they work with are past their social relevancy or when they get someone that is. They are put in a role that the non wrestling fan can't take seriously. You got people like Wale and to a lesser extent Peter Rosenberg try to bridge that gap by having guts on his platform.

AEW does a much better job featuring people like Ross and Trina and people like that who are actual wrestling fans. It was cool seeing Fabolous come out with Swerve and Keith Lee to the ring. Outside of thar one time with Snoop AEW doesn't have those forced "SportsCenter" "Extra" type moments WWE likes to have to get some outside attention.

In the realm of hip-hop, sure, but let's not ignore WWE getting massive stars like Bad Bunny, Tyson Fury and Logan Paul all over their shows.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

In the realm of hip-hop, sure, but let's not ignore WWE getting massive stars like Bad Bunny, Tyson Fury and Logan Paul all over their shows.

 

Fury is a weird one in that he's a star but compared to like a Lennox Lewis or even Evander Holyfield in his prime, he's not that big a star over in the States. The last Wilder fight did good on PPV especially for an 80 dollar PPV, but he ain't doing record business for a HW champion. I think part of it is outside of Fury himself, Wilder, and Anthony Joshua, there isn't really one compelling heavyweight boxer people care about. Oleksandr Usyk is an exceptional fighter, but when he beat Joshua, it barely trended on Twitter. That was weird especially for a HW title change.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, zendragon said:

wasn't bow wow on one of those love and hiphop shows on VH1 somewhat recently? Thats got to count for something as far as social relevancy 

He was at one point, but he isn't anymore. Apparently he has a reality show in the works with other Love and Hip Hop alums, but it isn't another of the billion Love and Hip Hop spinoffs.

If this was when those shows first started 10+ years ago, it would mean something. Those shows use to beat Raw handily on Monday nights. Now, it seems like they still do decent ratings but it's not a hot topic amongst the black community anymore. Plus, people only tend to care specifically about the show itself and not the people on them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...