DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2022

The Natural

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:
I'm curious about this hot take. Not a lawyer, obvs, does this post have it right?

or is the buyout injury related?

/sincere question 

Hard to say without more info about the specifics of Punk’s contract, but probably not.  First off, no charges were filed, so Punk is in no danger of being found “actually legally guilty”.  What there was an an internal investigation to determine fault. From there, it’s up to the employer to determine who to punish and how.  The next question is what is prohibited by Punk’s contract.  Does his contract specifically prohibit locker room fights?  Probably not.  There probably is a morals clause (basically prohibiting behavior that would embarrass your employer.): but that may or may not cover this situation.  Morals clauses can be hard to invoke since there’s often enough wriggle a room for the employee to fight it in court.  And, even if you have the law on your side, fighting it out in court keeps the incident in the public eye and potentially opens the employer up to a lot of bad publicity.  Employers often decide it’s easier to pay the employee off and get him or her sign a non-disclosure agreement than get into a messy public fight.

My guess is Punk didn’t do anything that specifically violates his contract and trying to get out of paying him would probably result in a court fight that would not be worth the bad pr or and endless shoot interviews,  My take is that buying Punk out probably has as much to do with Tony not wanting to deal with Punk and a chunk of the locker room not wanting Punk back or wanting to work with him if he does come back.

it’s really hard to say without knowing a little more about Punk’s contract.

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 Spoiler relating to AEW.

Hide contents

Holy shit!

So I’m copying and pasting this from Meltzer’s media scrum recap:

Khan has had conversations with NJPW about talent appearing at Wrestle Kingdom. He's optimistic they will have some presence there, but the top stars won’t be going.

What the hell does Khan think Kenny is then? If he’s not one of the top four (at worst) stars in AEW that’s BS.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LF2 said:

So I’m copying and pasting this from Meltzer’s media scrum recap:

Khan has had conversations with NJPW about talent appearing at Wrestle Kingdom. He's optimistic they will have some presence there, but the top stars won’t be going.

What the hell does Khan think Kenny is then? If he’s not one of the top four (at worst) stars in AEW that’s BS.

The scrum was at like 11pm CST.

New Japan aired Omega's challenge video at like 5:30 or 6am CST on their crossover Stardom show they were doing today.

He's not going to spoil a reveal like that when New Japan was hours away from announcing it themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The scrum was at like 11pm CST.

New Japan aired Omega's challenge video at like 5:30 or 6am CST on their crossover Stardom show they were doing today.

He's not going to spoil a reveal like that when New Japan was hours away from announcing it themselves.

He could have answered it differently then. How hard is it to say “We’ll look and see who’s available to our partner promotion, and go from there. Or plug FTR going, and say he’ll send some other with them.” That way it covers the reveal, but it also doesn’t make him look like a goof for saying what he did. 

Edited by LF2

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

He could have answered it differently then. How hard is it to say “We’ll look and see who’s available to our partner promotion, and go from there. Or plug FTR going, and say he’ll send some other with them.” That way it covers the reveal, but it also doesn’t make him look like a goof for saying what he did. 

1. Why does he look like a goof?

2. Who cares? The things people try and parce with "well he should've done x..." is getting kind of absurd now.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, LF2 said:

Why do I see UFC fighter TJ Dillashaw when I look at the face?

Also could Khan have made it any more obvious the best of 7 Series is going all 7 matches? Booking the finals in LA guarantees that so the Bucks can get the big home state win.

Has there ever been a “best of 7” that didn’t go all seven? That’s something watts would have done to show it’s not a work. 

• Like 1

There's always gonna be missteps, errors, bad ideas etc. but it seems like so many people get upset when AEW isn't EXACTLY what they'd want in a promotion. Folks being like those shitty parents who focus on the one C on a kid's report card of otherwise A+'s. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

1. Why does he look like a goof?

2. Who cares? The things people try and parce with "well he should've done x..." is getting kind of absurd now.

Okay saying he looks like a goof was a bit much. I should have said I felt like that was a silly statement to make. That’s less of a personal insult on him, and I’ll do better next time.

I thought it was noteworthy, because he’s had years of experience with the media. It’s not hard to say literally anything other than what he did. Again that could be something only I found weird. I just wanted to post my observation. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Has there ever been a “best of 7” that didn’t go all seven? That’s something watts would have done to show it’s not a work. 

Based on my limited research you’re right. Even every best of 5 I could find went the full 5. 

I could totally see Cowboy Bill having done that in WCW. Here’s Sting vs Cactus Jack best of 7, and Sting wins 4-1 or something. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

Based on my limited research you’re right. Even every best of 5 I could find went the full 5. 

I could totally see Cowboy Bill having done that in WCW. Here’s Sting vs Cactus Jack best of 7, and Sting wins 4-1 or something. 

Would be a good angle. The winner has aura of invincibility during their next step up; the loser embarks on a mission of self-discovery and redemption.

• Like 3

How about we redebut House of Black on Wednesday and all while the best of 7 is going on, they are crushing fools all over TV, looking like killers and calling their shot against whoever wins, for Revolution. Leading to a nice finale where whoever wins the series (aka The Elite) has that bittersweet combo of “we did it!’ and “…oh shit, we did it”

• Like 7

I think it’s fair to have criticisms of booking or how to handle situations. I find there to be overreaction towards Khan and then also eye-rolling overreactions towards the criticisms of him. 
Like it’s fair to say the interview he just did was weird. The part about his mom crying in a McDonald’s parking lot and using that as “an opportunity when he saw one, and he quickly turned the situation to his advantage and capitalized on” is pretty off putting but again could be manipulated by the article writer to seem worse than it is. 
To his credit he is a very open owner of a company that directly responds to fans. That can come of great at times and can come of poorly when awkward or overly defensive. He’s used his family’s money to produce an alternative wrestling show for the things he likes that we also like. That is cool and has given me something to enjoy. But anytime we look at a company as being selfless by existing is troublesome. Also hating a company because they act like a business is also troublesome. It exists as a business and the purpose of it is to make money by providing for the consumer what the consumer wants. As a consumer, we can consume it or choose not to. The owner of a company shouldn’t be held to different standards then other people. If they do something awkward, stupid, cool, nice, mean, silly, cruel, friendly, off-putting, odd, cuddly, warm, cold, neat, etc, then it is fair for the public to respond to it how they honestly feel. Like Elon Musk is fair to criticize or praise  if you feel plusher enough to have an opinion.
AEW has been my favorite company in recent memory. Like anything else, it is fair to evaluate and both praise and critique. 
He’s had a few un-winnable situations (I know I couldn’t navigate the Forbidden Door event company politics well and handle the Punk-Bucks situation smoothly either), he’s had damn near perfect moments (Brodie Lee’s memorial show, the Hangman Saga), and unnecessary self caused problems (the response to Big Swole honestly being the only big blunder I can think of where I was disappointed). The booking has been both great at times and questionable, which is fair for any company. I’m personally bopping in and out, which is fair as a consumer. I’ve made posts questioning storytelling aspects of the programs presented, which is fair. I’ve made posts about parts of the product that I very much am positively moved by emotionally, which is fair. 
I guess I’d be interested to hear which poster here is unreasonable towards his, her, or they’s criticism towards Tony Khan. Which I should mention, it is completely fair to think that a different standard should be held to any individual than the one I described. How we look at, treat, and think about each other is up to a moral self held debate we internally have with ourselves how we should value others on different or similar standards.

• Like 5