DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Alan must've checked the random matches thread because Gordi posted that Kobashi match with Shane-O last week 

Uhm, Gordi mentioned finding out about the match because of Alan.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna assume that he will never be able to say "AEW" and they will just talk about everything else but who the fuck knows anymore

Given Jericho in the last year, I almost hoped he talked about AEW because I am worried about what the other topics are

• Like 3

*checks the date*  Okay, so it says 4/2 which means unless they got it out late it's not an April Fools joke.  Okay, good.

I had to take a sec after spending lunch break in a way-too-crowded market just to make sure I saw the news right.  I don't know what in the sweet Hell is going on but that's pretty wild with Jericho on Steve's show.  Of course I'm sure it took all of a nanosecond before wild and baseless speculation began but that's the internet for ya.

Side note:  I can totally see Vince using emojis but Austin using them just feels odd to me.  Not sure if it's something that occurs once you hit a certain age but all my older relatives obsess over using them, even my mom.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The fact that the March thread didn't close when that was going on is almost a minor miracle.

As for today being April Fools I would like to celebrate somebody that knew how to pull off a great prank regardless of the day.  And with that I'll link an article about some of the pranks that Owen Hart pulled.  https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-greatest-owen-hart-ribs-of-all-time

My favorite one is not in this article but it was one mentioned in Foley's first book.  Owen and Mick were having house show matches and Austin for some reason was outside.  So they made it their mission to make him crack no matter how bad they had to be.  What finally did the trick was Owen and Mick having an awful hardcore match with the worst weapons to use that they could think of.  One of them was a big ol' bag of popcorn that MIck hit Owen with.  Owen of course sold it then proceeded to do a snow angel.  That got Steve to not only bury his head in his hands due to laughing but also cursing them under his breath.  So according to Mick and Owen mission well accomplished.

I need to go back and read that again, but there was also a promo sequence with main event guys based upon "pimpin' aint easy" where Austin popped all his coworkers with a story that ended with "shrimpin' ain't easy." There was also a pantomimed fellating incident where everyone involved broke character, including Austin I believe. I need to read that book again.

• Like 1

On one hand, being Austin and Jericho they'll probably spend half of the interview singing "Jambalaya".

On the other, Jericho's different than Taker in that he's so visible and we've heard the origin story countless times before. His past 3-4 years is the new, interesting thing to talk about and Austin takes this seriously enough that I imagine he'd see it as a credibility thing if they didn't discuss AEW (and NJPW) at length. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Given Jericho in the last year, I almost hoped he talked about AEW because I am worried about what the other topics are

Things I enjoy Jericho talking about: 1. Wrestling

2. Uhhh... give me a minute here...

Things I don't enjoy Jericho talking about: 1. Trump

2. MAGA

3. His shitty band

4. His generally shitty taste in music

5. Anything else

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

Even weirder is he gets mentioned by name, I don't remember when they started doing that for refs but it definitely wasn't back then.

I watched IYH Ground Zero for the first time in like forever maybe like a month ago.

They did a profile on Del Wilkes/The Patriot, and they briefly show AJPW footage for like a minute or two with Misawa and Kobashi. I was watching at like 5 or 6 in the morning, and that shit caught me offguard.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Vince McMahon sending a text message is what really blows my mind. You know he's still using a Nokia 6010 or something.

Vince knowing how to use emoji's is what gets me. You know that guy must send poop emoji's to everyone.

LOL Boss...it's a classic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna assume that he will never be able to say "AEW" and they will just talk about everything else but who the fuck knows anymore

From that SI article: 

“We go into everything,” Austin says. “Jericho is one of the all-time greats, and it’s going to be cool to have someone from AEW on a WWE show. To bottom line it, I’m excited for people to watch this show.”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think it shows, as some have suggested, Vince himself doesn’t seem them as competitors, the same way he did Ted Turner and WCW. (See congratulating Paul Wight as another example)

I think Vince had this weird personal vendetta against Ted and that spiraled into one against WCW when they finally began rivalling WWF as the latter's business was down. Like I mentioned here recently, Vince was clowning the Goodwill Games and Jane Fonda on Raw. That was a year before Nitro was even a thing.

So I would replace competitor with person or persons he himself has a weird grudge against.

And it's not like WCW was competitive with WWF in the early 90s. They were on the verge of going out of business for a solid 3 years before Ted gave them a reassurance that it wasn't going anywhere as long as he was in power.

But frankly, I don't buy the doesn't see them as a competitor bullshit. I can certainly buy Vince doesn't personally dislike Tony Khan because Tony is basically a kid age wise compared to Vince. 

I recall Vince reacting to the "All In" concept favorably, with him saying that they should have asked him for some advice as September is apparently a brutal PPV month.

I don't think Vince views AEW as a threat. The WWE is basically bulletproof at this point as it is such a huge machine that would be damn near impossible to take down or become a #2. 

NXT on going head to head was a weird call though... But I do wonder how much of that was USA. 

Maybe at this age of his life Vince is satisfied with what he's accomplished and isn't worried about WWE going anywhere - which who can blame him. If there's one thing wrestling has taught us it's that under no condition do you never say never and in a world that's ever evolving, maybe this is the best route for them to go in the future.

Then again, NXT: Portugal and NXT: Japan's will still be popping up all over the place so maybe Triple H IS actually the secret villain here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think Vince thought going after Ted Turner was punching up, so it would make him look less petty lol.

34 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Vince had this weird personal vendetta against Ted and that spiraled into one against WCW when they finally began rivalling WWF as the latter's business was down. Like I mentioned here recently, Vince was clowning the Goodwill Games and Jane Fonda on Raw. That was a year before Nitro was even a thing.

Yeah wasn't the general story that Turner was kind of an asshole to Vince and looked down on him? That was why he had such a beef.

35 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

But frankly, I don't buy the doesn't see them as a competitor bullshit. I can certainly buy Vince doesn't personally dislike Tony Khan because Tony is basically a kid age wise compared to Vince. 

Vince never saw TNA as competition. With AEW its always been a different story as actual thought, money, and care went into it. Its likely more that its just nothing hugely personal at the moment. I suspect its different for others in management who are more into the us vs. them aspect. I think it was Cody who confirmed its more management vs. management than anything else. Vince is probably too busy to care until/unless it starts cutting into the bottom line. 

• Like 1