DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

On 12/4/2020 at 4:27 AM, twiztor said:

@The Naturalis one of my favorite posters. We share many of the same interests and outlooks. Cheers!

changing the subject, recommend me some 80s or 90s battle royals to watch. no Royal Rumbles, please. good, bad, or indifferent. i've got a quiet weekend ahead of me.

44:25.

1:04:41.

• Like 2

As far inheritence goes, if I didn't have 4 godchildren (including a nephew)  to take care of that (not too big of a) problem, I might consider leaving Pete Dunne a little something. It's fun to be able to really latch on to someone in your adult years (fan-wise) and he's been that guy for me for a few years.

Also, if The Natural was the internet, there should actually BE an internet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I really love the World War 3 concept.  Now,  that has sparked a memory for me.  WCW did have a two ring battle royal concept prior to WW3 correct?  It might have happened at one of the WrestleWar shows.  

It happened at GAB 89.

Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious defeated Bill Irwin, Brian Pillman, Eddie Gilbert, Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotunda, Ranger Ross, Rick Steiner, Ron Simmons, Scott Hall, Scott Steiner, Steve Williams and Terry Gordy

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

It happened at GAB 89.

Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious defeated Bill Irwin, Brian Pillman, Eddie Gilbert, Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotunda, Ranger Ross, Rick Steiner, Ron Simmons, Scott Hall, Scott Steiner, Steve Williams and Terry Gordy

Look at the talent in that battle royal alone! And the card is F'n GAB'89, so they had plenty of talent left over to have one of the all time great PPV's!

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

GAB '89 was also Flair vs. Funk? Yeah that was fucking great as was their "I Quit" Match at Clash of the Champions.  Was Sting vs. Muta also on that card?  Damn I might fire it up sometime this weekend. 

+

Road Warriors + Midnights + Dr Death vs Freebirds/SST War Games

Luger vs Steamboat

Steiners vs Varsity Club

Off the top of my head...such a great card!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I really love the World War 3 concept.  Now,  that has sparked a memory for me.  WCW did have a two ring battle royal concept prior to WW3 correct?  It might have happened at one of the WrestleWar shows.  

Battlebowl at Starrcade 91 and 92 and its own event in 93.

One of my favorite Battle Royals was the Intercontinental title Battle Royal in fall 93 Where the last two People face off for the Intercontinental title. I havent seen it in years but remember it being good. 

There were a couple of Battle Royals on Raw in 2004 that I remember being good. Its was around the time they were booking alot of basic and 6 man tags to help Batista improve in the ring.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

GAB '89 was also Flair vs. Funk? Yeah that was fucking great as was their "I Quit" Match at Clash of the Champions.  Was Sting vs. Muta also on that card?  Damn I might fire it up sometime this weekend. 

Fuck yeah! You totally should! Everyone should!

Edited by Shartnado
People should watch GAB'89
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bazzil said:

Battlebowl at Starrcade 91 and 92 and its own event in 93.

91 was the only 2 Ring Battlebowl.  They went back to 1 ring in 92 and the two themed PPV's.

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

As far inheritence goes, if I didn't have 4 godchildren (including a nephew)  to take care of that (not too big of a) problem, I might consider leaving Pete Dunne a little something. It's fun to be able to really latch on to someone in your adult years (fan-wise) and he's been that guy for me for a few years.

Also, if The Natural was the internet, there should actually BE an internet.

Cheers, @Shartnado.

• Like 1

I'm going to need to revisit those World War 3 matches to see how they hold up. I used to be entertained by those back in the day, but I'm not keeping my hopes up as this the same company that managed to ruin the greatest match stipulation of all-time.

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Ok, which one of you has been messing with Wikipedia's triple crown history?

I was confused moreso than usual when I saw Rico had defeated Kojima in 2006 for the triple crown. It should be Taiyo Kea. I suggest just leaving it as is though. 

My favorite Wikipedia "hack" was on the history of the internet, where the editor claimed that the internet was founded 12.000 years ago by some Babylonian (or Sumerian?) god. In a similar story, in our company intranet there is a page listing commonly used acronyms within our daily work. One such acronym is "IED", which in our industry stands for "intelligent electronic device". Some jokester however, used the more common version "improvised explosive device" there. It took years for someone (who bothered about that) to notice and fix this. (as a side-side note: our company has a department called "IS" (information systems - I think "IT" is the much more common term for what they are doing, though I guess they did not want to go for that name considering a significant number of employees work on software development) which has a sub-department "ISIS" (information systems infrastructure services))

• Haha 2

I remember when Battle Royal matches were pushed as the most dangerous match of the year because you had to be thrown over the top rope to the floor to be eliminated. At that time throwing someone of the top rope was an instant DQ. Then the "his momentum carried him over" started. Now the bump means nothing and Battle Royals kind of suck.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ziggy said:

One of my favorite Battle Royals was the Intercontinental title Battle Royal in fall 93 Where the last two People face off for the Intercontinental title. I havent seen it in years but remember it being good. 

There were a couple of Battle Royals on Raw in 2004 that I remember being good. Its was around the time they were booking alot of basic and 6 man tags to help Batista improve in the ring.

The Raw with the HHH/Benoit ironman has the battle royale where Batista goes nuts eliminating  a bunch of guys

I don't even like WWE anymore, but give me Roman Reigns and Yokozuna over people like Umaga or Jacob Fatu any day of the week. Plus you have the Wild Samoans, too.

Rikishi? Tama Tonga? Laughable.

This wasn't online but it was one of the best battle royals out of the Houston set. I'm partial to the one that has a big sequence of Valentine vs Brody and maybe the one with a bunch of Dusty vs Volkoff too and the one with Wahoo and Gino as Andre watches from the other ring but this one's probably the best.