DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Everyone watch King of the Hill 6x01 Bobby Goes Nuts

It's the best episode so far

It is one of the best episodes of TV ever. 

Also I think Bobby was completely in the right and Hank was a bad dad to tell his short pudgy son not to use the one weapon to defend himself.

Also I think Bobby was completely in the right and Hank was a bad dad to tell his short pudgy son not to use the one weapon to defend himself.

What?!?!?!?!?!  You condone low blows?  Maybe he should teach his son to stop being a bitch and punch a dude in the mouth even if it means you have to take an ass whooping.  Taking an ass whooping from a 10 year old isn't going to affect him for the rest of his life, being a bitch will. 

Best episode is clearly the one when the steal Dale's new tractor. 

What?!?!?!?!?!  You condone low blows?  Maybe he should teach his son to stop being a bitch and punch a dude in the mouth even if it means you have to take an ass whooping.  Taking an ass whooping from a 10 year old isn't going to affect him for the rest of his life, being a bitch will. 

There are no rules in street fights.  It's not about pride; it's about sending a message and the message is, "Mess with me and I will punt your balls to the roof of your mouth."  Parents send kids to school to get an education, not to live in fear of some assholes exploring their social boundaries by preying on smaller kids and taking their lunch money.

Like Ice Cube said in AmerKKKa's Most Wanted,  If fools don't get ta steppin, I use my steel toe as a weapon.  One good groin kick settles a lot of disputes.

Of course, that shit only worked in the eighties and nineties.  Nowadays you have to bring a shiv or a Glock to school because those little shits start bring lethal weapons to school as early as fucking third grade.

I miss the days of the three o'clock rumble.  Three of my best friends in life are guys I scrapped with in elementary school.  Now, they are my kid's collective cadre of godfathers.

There are no rules in street fights.  It's not about pride; it's about sending a message and the message is, "Mess with me and I will punt your balls to the roof of your mouth."  Parents send kids to school to get an education, not to live in fear of some assholes exploring their social boundaries by preying on smaller kids and taking their lunch money.

Like Ice Cube said in AmerKKKa's Most Wanted,  If fools don't get ta steppin, I use my steel toe as a weapon.  One good groin kick settles a lot of disputes.

Of course, that shit only worked in the eighties and nineties.  Nowadays you have to bring a shiv or a Glock to school because those little shits start bring lethal weapons to school as early as fucking third grade.

I miss the days of the three o'clock rumble.  Three of my best friends in life are guys I scrapped with in elementary school.  Now, they are my kid's collective cadre of godfathers.

So in my defense of me saying that you should teach your kids to fight in a respectful way you counter by saying that your best friends are guys you fought as a kid?  Did you kick them in the nuts?  I'm not saying that you should not do what you have to do in a street fight where you life may be on the line, I'm saying you shouldn't teach your kid to kick other kids in their nuts.  Taking a bloody lip or two as a kid will make you a better person, kicking a bunch of 10 year olds in the junk will make you a horrible person.

I've been watching a lot of TV on Netflix of late.  Specifically:

Dexter - Zipped right through the first four seasons.  Even with the massive logic/story holes (How does Dexter's brother figure out his method for killing people?  Why does nobody ever find the hairs/whatever that Dexter leaves behind when he kidnaps somebody?  And so on), I find myself highly entertained.  I could do without the constant barrage of f-bombs from Dexter's sister, too.  I get that that's her character but it just comes across as lame and gets annoying after awhile.  Eagerly looking forward to seeing the final four seasons when they hit Netflix in January or on DVD if I can't wait that long.  7/10.

Friday Night Lights - Not quite sure how I managed to sleep on this when it was on TV originally.  I think I was expecting it to be more like the terrible movie rather than the excellent book.  Thankfully, it's more like the book.  I'm almost halfway through season 2 and am loving the show a LOT.  The cast is great (how the heck had I never really noticed Minka Kelly or Adrianne Palicki before?!?!) and stories feel...authentic.  A little exaggerated, perhaps, but generally real and authentic.  The dialogue feels right.  They get almost all of the little details right (except the occasional screwup with the football, like a game where they had Dillon advancing an onside kick, which isn't allowed).  I do have some quibbles.  For example, I don't much like Connie Britton's character.  She's such a cliche, the stereotypical "sassy independent southern woman" who ends up being...err...witchy at times.  The way she acts during the early part of season 1, as if she's never been a coach's wife before, just makes no sense.  The way she got her job after about 5 seconds of looking for one also didn't make any sense.  The school has no academic guidance counselor weeks into the school year?  Yeah, right.  They overdo the "miracle comeback/finish" thing.  Teams in the hunt for state championships roll through most of their games, winning them easily.  Speaking of which, the "#1 high school program in Texas" would have a competent backup QB.  If a kid is a sophomore playing varsity as a QB in that program, he'd be REALLY good.  He wouldn't be completely lost in practice.  And, finally, they do one of the worst movie cliches as a storyline, the "I just committed a completely legally defensible killing but I won't call the cops and must get rid of the body!!!!"  Ugh.  That's lazy storytelling.  And the stupid mud bowl episode.  As if the only football fields in all of Dillon* are the two at the high school.  Get serious.  But these are quibbles.  Like I said, the show feels authentic.  Realistic problems handled with realistic dialogue and realistic behavior (generally).  The cast, despite almost all being in their 20s for the most part look the right age.  And they just, in general, get the right "feel" for everything.  Well done.  9/10 (at least)

* - it bugs the crap out of me that they put a "P" on the helmets for Dillon.  No high school would put the first initial of their mascot on their helmets instead of their school name.  The show's makers only did it because they were copying the "P" on the helmets of Permian, the real-life high school that the book was about.

The Mud Bowl episode of FNL was awesome, and I won't let Tabe convince me otherwise! :)

Your other criticisms are pretty spot on though. I can let most of them slide due to the awesomeness of the show, but Landry and Tyra dumping the body when the dude tried to rape her was bizarre.

The Mud Bowl episode of FNL was awesome, and I won't let Tabe convince me otherwise! :)

Your other criticisms are pretty spot on though. I can let most of them slide due to the awesomeness of the show, but Landry and Tyra dumping the body when the dude tried to rape her was bizarre.

Season 2 shouldn't even count.  The combination of NBC trying to boost ratings by adding more drama and the writers strike made it a huge clusterfuck.  It may very well be the worst season of any show that can still be considered good. 

• Like 1

Listen to them Tabe.  You've built up a lot of goodwill here, so you know they're not just trolling you.  They are warning you.

Don't watch any of the Dexter promos on Youtube either, they look awesome and will tempt you.  It's a trap.  Clearly the people who made the yearly trailer-part had way more sense of what the show should have been about than the people who made the show-part did.

I'm out on MOB CITY. Watched the first two episodes last night, and it didn't do anything for me.

Really, I was "out" after the silly opening narration about how there are no black and white hats in this era...just gray hats! 5 minutes in, I pretty much knew this was going to be Darabont at his dopiest. I half paid attention to the rest of it, but I saw enough to know it didn't get much better.

Friday Night Lights gets better, Tabe!  Season 2 is a completely different show from the rest of the series and the last three seasons are probably the best three.  Great cast.  Buddy Garrity is #1!

I'm gonna agree on Buddy Garrity.  His character is awesome.  I recall hearing that season 2 was the worst of all the FNL seasons which, if true, is very encouraging.  Cuz it's certainly not a BAD season by any means (at least so far).

As for Dexter, I've heard what you guys are saying here.  I know it heads way downhill but, really, I'm kinda intrigued just to see HOW it goes off the rails.  Worst finale of all-time?  Consider my interest piqued!  And, no, I won't come back here crying when I end up agreeing with you guys that it sucked ;)  Really, I do appreciate you guys warning me away but I'm too invested to turn back from this trainwreck now :)

Hahaha.  For a show that seemed to pride itself on authenticity, that episode just made no sense in any way at all.  As if either coach would ever agree to play the game in a cow pasture that isn't leveled off at all.  As if said cow pasture would be the only available open space in the entire town.  As if there wasn't another football or soccer field ANYWHERE in that town that could be used.  C'mon.  I've BEEN to Texas.  I've seen what even small town high school football looks like there and that storyline doesn't even come close to passing the smell test.  Fer crying out loud, I visited a dinky little town there that has a population of like 20,000 and they have multiple high schools with football stadiums that seat 10k+.  And that's just one town (Saginaw, just outside of Ft Worth).

I'm gonna agree on Buddy Garrity.  His character is awesome.  I recall hearing that season 2 was the worst of all the FNL seasons which, if true, is very encouraging.  Cuz it's certainly not a BAD season by any means (at least so far).

As for Dexter, I've heard what you guys are saying here.  I know it heads way downhill but, really, I'm kinda intrigued just to see HOW it goes off the rails.  Worst finale of all-time?  Consider my interest piqued!  And, no, I won't come back here crying when I end up agreeing with you guys that it sucked ;)  Really, I do appreciate you guys warning me away but I'm too invested to turn back from this trainwreck now :)

So many suffered to spare you this, you fool.

465_privateryan.jpg

Earn this, Tabe.  Earn it!!!!!!!

• Like 1