DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I really don't get the "only watch shows that are going to be picked up for another season" line of thinking.

I think Dracula is similar to Hannibal in that a large portion of the costs are being picked up by overseas investors, so that makes the odds of renewal a little better.  But, yeah, I don't really expect a talky period drama about Dracula battling a secret society by bringing electricity to the masses to last very long.

Nikita has a similar deal. Hence why it keeps getting renewed despite the fact almost no one watches it.

I really don't get the "only watch shows that are going to be picked up for another season" line of thinking.

I think Dracula is similar to Hannibal in that a large portion of the costs are being picked up by overseas investors, so that makes the odds of renewal a little better.  But, yeah, I don't really expect a talky period drama about Dracula battling a secret society by bringing electricity to the masses to last very long.

Nikita has a similar deal. Hence why it keeps getting renewed despite the fact almost no one watches it.

I think there was some collective national discussion about doing whatever we had to to make sure we have an inexhaustible supply of DVD cover shots of Maggie Q sprawled across furniture in high-slit evening gowns.

They so should have gotten the scrubs cast to make Dr. Acula.

ACCEPTABLE.

OPINIONS.

Seriously, you know how awesome of a low-budget indie comedy that could have been?  Lost opportunities, man.

• Like 1

Masters of Sex is something that 13 year old me would have named a tag team.

Count me among the "wait for it to get a second season" crowd.  I have trust issues.  I've had too many shows I like get canned, and I feel like I wasted my time.  There are exceptions, if it's a show I'm really interested in.

HELL ON WHEELS is somehow still on the air on AMC. I mean, what?

Hell on Wheels had a legit great episode this season when they were defending the hotel. But it's such a weird show right now. 

I get why people would not watch Once Upon a Time in Wonderland after a few weeks because it's not a very good show but I don't get why people didn't watch the first episode. It had a built in audience, maybe even two. Apparently it had terrible ratings from day one.

It's not so much about feeling like I wasted my time, for me.  It's more getting into a serialized show if I think I'm just going to be left dangling at the end.

Sitcoms don't really bother me that way (except I dislike most sitcoms anyway) because they rarely have major plot lines that need to be resolved someday.

Hell on Wheels had a legit great episode this season when they were defending the hotel. But it's such a weird show right now. 

I get why people would not watch Once Upon a Time in Wonderland after a few weeks because it's not a very good show but I don't get why people didn't watch the first episode. It had a built in audience, maybe even two. Apparently it had terrible ratings from day one.

I really liked Hell on Wheels but the finale of the last season was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

I think Dracula is similar to Hannibal in that a large portion of the costs are being picked up by overseas investors, so that makes the odds of renewal a little better. But, yeah, I don't really expect a talky period drama about Dracula battling a secret society by bringing electricity to the masses to last very long.

Because its stupid to waste time watching a show with no proper ending.

As opposed to watching something that gets picked up for multiple seasons and goes to shit or has a terrible ending?  I get missing a few episodes and deciding to wait for the end of the season to watch it all at once (I'm going to do that with SLeepy Hollow) but not watching something that looks entertaining because it might be cancelled doesn't make sense to me.

I think Dracula is similar to Hannibal in that a large portion of the costs are being picked up by overseas investors, so that makes the odds of renewal a little better. But, yeah, I don't really expect a talky period drama about Dracula battling a secret society by bringing electricity to the masses to last very long.

As opposed to watching something that gets picked up for multiple seasons and goes to shit or has a terrible ending?  I get missing a few episodes and deciding to wait for the end of the season to watch it all at once (I'm going to do that with SLeepy Hollow) but not watching something that looks entertaining because it might be cancelled doesn't make sense to me.

Fair point, Lost being a prime example. BUT, Smith. Smith was an awesome show that was brutally executed after three episodes. Now you see 7/10 shows are cancelled. Why get into a show that might not even get anything?

I think Almost Human's problem is it's just too cheesy at points. Not saying it would be doing amazing ratings if it was more serious, but the buddy cop moments are cringe worthy. Airing it out of order doesn't help. John went from despising robots and blaming them for his friend's death to chilling and telling jokes with one within about two episodes.

And, damn, I guess we're probably not going to get the end-of-season-3-or-4 twist that "John is an android!" which I am 95% sure was where the story was going.

Ya know, I can handle minor football screwups in Friday Night Lights like using running play names for passing plays or whatever. But in season 3? Screwing up a rule as a plot device? Having a touchdown run not count because of a fumble because the runner "didn't complete the process through the goal line" as if it were a pass play? That stuff just kills the football fan/coach in me and it's so dammed unnecessary.

I gave up on investing in shows on NBC, Fox, ABC, and CBS after Sports Night got cancelled and then again once The Deep End got cancelled. If it isn't on a network like USA, AMC, FX, or CW as is the case with Arrow I dont get invested anymore.

I think Almost Human's problem is it's just too cheesy at points. Not saying it would be doing amazing ratings if it was more serious, but the buddy cop moments are cringe worthy. Airing it out of order doesn't help. John went from despising robots and blaming them for his friend's death to chilling and telling jokes with one within about two episodes.

And, damn, I guess we're probably not going to get the end-of-season-3-or-4 twist that "John is an android!" which I am 95% sure was where the story was going.

I don't know about full android, since such a deal was made out of his synthetic leg.  Unless it was a synthetic attached to more synthetic, and he just doesn't know.  I too found it odd that they were so chummy so early on.  It very much should have been a Dr. Cox/JD type relationship, where the shows of admiration from John were few and far between before he finally accepted him.  I'm hoping that the DVD/Netflix release puts them in proper order.

I really liked Hell on Wheels but the finale of the last season was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

This.  I guess I don't take TV shows that seriously.  Sure, once in a while, I get annoyed with a show that wraps up without a resolution, but mostly I just chalk it up to the nature of the medium.  Shows are renewed for one year at most and can be cancelled anytime.  Most serialized shows (Lost, X-Files, Revenge) are set up to play out major plotlines for years.  I don't really get why someone decides to watch season 2 of, say, Lost, just because it gets renewed for season 2.  Chances are good there won't be any permanent resolution even at the end of season 2.

Take Hannibal.  Low rated, barely got picked up for season 2.  Fuller has talked about his plans for seasons 3,4,5, so I don't expect any major resolutions until at least season 5.  But....  given Hannibal's ratings last season, it won't surprise me if the show gets cancelled before the end of S2.   I'll be astonished if there really is a season 5 or 6.  But, it's a good show right now, so <shrug>.

i think too much is made of finales.  Sure, it's nice to have a proper wrap-up, but how many shows get satisfying finales anyway?  A lot of timers, by the time they do a series finale, the creator has moved on, the writers have moved on, some of the cast is probably gone, the intended finale can't be done without resurrecting dead characters or retconning entire seasons, etc.  X-Files is a decent example.  Supernatural is an even better illustration.  That show had it's intended series finale at the end of season 5.  That was four seasons ago.  The creator and pretty much everyone else involved with the show has moved on (aside from the two leads and the actor playing Castiel), but the show is still going on, with plotlines pretty much recycling what they did before.  Whatever they end up doing at the end of the series will be a bad imitation of what the wrapup was meant to be.

I always get a laugh when I hear J Michael Straczynski claim he had every bit of Babyon 5 planned out in advance.  I guess he foresaw replacing his lead actor (due to mental illness, apparently), replacing one of the female leads due to a salary dispute, and having the show canceled prematurely.

Ya know, I can handle minor football screwups in Friday Night Lights like using running play names for passing plays or whatever. But in season 3? Screwing up a rule as a plot device? Having a touchdown run not count because of a fumble because the runner "didn't complete the process through the goal line" as if it were a pass play? That stuff just kills the football fan/coach in me and it's so dammed unnecessary.

Tabe, you don't look like you know much about Texas football. Everyone else is screwing up the names for passing plays.

And all of the football stuff didn't bother me at all because it's a show about family and community, with football being the vehicle for the plot. It could have been about team badminton and it would have still be an amazing show.

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE!