DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Dave Grohl fell off the stage and broke his leg in Sweden during the second song of a Foo Fighters concert today. Instead of cancelling the show, they had Taylor Hawkins take lead on some coversongs while Grohl got treated and put in a cast, before Grohl came back and finished the concert.

Taylor Hawkins is the greatest frontman in waiting ever, he's got a great voice.

Just watched their set from Rock Am Ring this year and he does 'stay with me' better than Rod Stewart.

Groh's toughness is fucking metal but I've got tickets to the 4th of July thingie he's doing in the DMV.  That mother fucker needs to get that leg squared away.

Since it's 20 years old this month and an important album of its time, I decided to listen to Jagged Little Pill. With the sole purpose if determining if it holds up at all.

For the most part I feel it does. I think there have always been songs on the album that haven't been good, or at least not as good as some of the other tracks. They feel even worse. Some even out of place. But by and large, the bulk of the album holds up. The albums lyrics have always been the main draw of the album and it's greatest strength.

It feels like an album that say, if it was a 9/10 in 1995 if feels like a 7/10 now. It's rare for an album to hold up at all after 20 years. It was perfect for its time period. Yet still has enough depth to be quality nowadays.

TL;DR It's fine.

• Like 1

Lately I have been following Folk Metal and I must admit I really like Cruachan, Korpikiaani, and Heidivolk.

Also been studying Diamanda Galas as of late. Which I believe she is Avant-Garde Screaming Queen Opera (used to be metal style) singer who has a 4 Octave Range

• 2 weeks later...

You all discussed the best 90s albums days ago, but I didn't see anyone mention any Texas Is the Reason stuff. So...

From "Do You Know Who You Are?"

From "Texas Is the Reason" (self-titled EP)

The band has been finished for years (minus some reunion shows), but a bit back an official CD was released that has ALL their stuff on it. Well worth it if you like this kind of 90s sound.

• Like 1

At the Foo Fighters show at Citi Field tonight. Want to give them credit for making almost all the shirts at the merch stand $25 or less. Also a limited edition Mets Colors hat with the FF logo is only $15. Most major acts charge twice that, and even WWE charges $30-$35 for shirts so FFs deserve props for not gouging their fans.

Dave Grohl fell off the stage and broke his leg in Sweden during the second song of a Foo Fighters concert today. Instead of cancelling the show, they had Taylor Hawkins take lead on some coversongs while Grohl got treated and put in a cast, before Grohl came back and finished the concert.

Taylor Hawkins is the greatest frontman in waiting ever, he's got a great voice.

Just watched their set from Rock Am Ring this year and he does 'stay with me' better than Rod Stewart.

He does have an awesome voice. Cold Day in the Sun is one of my favorite Foo Fighters songs.

So in the last few months I have submerged myself in everything Jason Molina (Songs: Ohia, Magnolia Electric Co) has done, and have come across a song I find particularly notable.

This is the last song released from Jason Molina that I am aware of. The album it's from was put out in 2012 as a companion piece with a book. Molina died in March 2013.

So while it's important to note this song was written well before 2012 and only released then, there's a baffling poetic finality to the lyrics. It feels like an apology for ever starting. Anyways, I've been thinking about this song a lot, so I'm going to put it here.

"Had I known what I know now

I'd have let you out
With no sound
I would leave the whole world alone

It's already enough on me
Shaking mad
It's already enough with these

demons I have sent

I am not the same
But you can follow

I am not the same
You can follow

I see the sun no more

And I see the sun no more

Been a sad hard change

It's been a sad hard change
Had I known

Had I known"

the production on Compton is really fucking good. A couple of the tracks are overproduced but other than that, good stuff.  Dre and Premo working together on "Animals".  Fantastic.  Dre has a co-producer on most of the songs and the guests come through. 

Highlights:  "For the Love of Money"  with an interlope of the Eazy/Bone song.   "Deep Water"  Kendrick Lamar fucking kills this.  I really like "All in a Day's Work" also.  Anderson Paak has a unique voice. I like him. 

Most of the guests came through.  Kendrick shined.  Snoop was great.  Ice Cube and X to the Z and Cold 187um damn.

My only criticism is that Dre didn't really provide many party/club cuts like I'm used to.

So Compton is kind of incredible.  Dr. Dre is the absolute best producer ever at doing everything for a reason.  There are songs that you might not like, but there is nothing on this album that makes you think it was just thrown together.  The beats on this album are different than everything you would expect from a Dr. Dre album, but are still undeniably Dre.  This is everything I could have asked for from a Dr. Dre album in 2015.

R.I.P. Sean Price

You forgot a track, brah.

I am also digging Compton but have the same critique as Niners.  Not enough party boom.

Happy Birthday, Aphex Twin, you weird mother fucker.