DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Adam Page in ROH does it to a standing opponent.  Looks like shit 100% of the time.

EDIT: Damn, posted before I noticed @Ryan beat me to it.

I used to love AJ Styles springboard shooting star to the floor, which is one of the most insane spots in the history of wrestling.  I honestly don't understand how he had the courage to even try that shit.

• Like 2

Another one I like is Billy Robinson's boss man slam/backbreaker.  It was pretty god damn painful looking, and he pulled it off from a few different setups.  

I think the worst was the Storm Cradle Driver, which hit the indy trifecta of being completely unrealistic, looking terrible, and being dangerous for the person taking it.

The sleeper drop that Chyna used for a while was also pretty terrible.

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Another one I like is Billy Robinson's boss man slam/backbreaker.  It was pretty god damn painful looking, and he pulled it off from a few different setups.  

I think the worst was the Storm Cradle Driver, which hit the indy trifecta of being completely unrealistic, looking terrible, and being dangerous for the person taking it.

The sleeper drop that Chyna used for a while was also pretty terrible.

I forgot about that one. I think Billy Gunn also used that as a finisher for a second and I remember Jericho using it as a transition move at times. Always looked like crap.

Speaking of Jericho, I hate all forms of full nelson face busters. Skull Crushing Finale, The Stroke, Breakdown, etc. Long set-up and hardly ever looks good.

26 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I forgot about that one. I think Billy Gunn also used that as a finisher for a second and I remember Jericho using it as a transition move at times. Always looked like crap.

Speaking of Jericho, I hate all forms of full nelson face busters. Skull Crushing Finale, The Stroke, Breakdown, etc. Long set-up and hardly ever looks good.

Any move that makes the person taking it have to decide between protecting his or herself or make it look good always suck.  The full nelson face buster will only look good if the guy decides he's going to take an unprotected face and head bump.  Most people are going to put a foot our or land knee first so they don't end up with a concussion.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Any move that makes the person taking it have to decide between protecting his or herself or make it look good always suck.  The full nelson face buster will only look good if the guy decides he's going to take an unprotected face and head bump.  Most people are going to put a foot our or land knee first so they don't end up with a concussion.  

I remember Jarrett putting it on Nash once and it was one of the worst bumps I've ever seen. Nash took it so that he ended up on both knees and his hands on the mat. His head was nowhere near the mat and despite his long hair, you could clearly see it. Also, Mark Madden would always make it a point to say, "Jarrett is going to Stroke *insert opponent* him!!!!"

5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Jarrett putting it on Nash once and it was one of the worst bumps I've ever seen. Nash took it so that he ended up on both knees and his hands on the mat. His head was nowhere near the mat and despite his long hair, you could clearly see it. Also, Mark Madden would always make it a point to say, "Jarrett is going to Stroke *insert opponent* him!!!!"

On the other side of the full nelson facebuster, is the Dell Wilkes full nelson slam.  A big guy like Ryback needs to bring that shit back, because it looks absolutely devastating.  Since the last time someone used the full nelson slam, we've had approximately 81856129681265165 full nelson face busters.  Why is this the world we live in?

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Candice Michelle's always looked inexplicably good, possibly because the other divas weren't protecting themselves properly on the bump.

• Like 1

I kinda hate the snapmare driver for the reasons mentioned it above.  It can look absolutely devastating - if the guy taking the move wants to break his face or rattle his brain.  More often, someone puts a knee down to cushion the landing and it looks awkward.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

On the other side of the full nelson facebuster, is the Dell Wilkes full nelson slam.  A big guy like Ryback needs to bring that shit back, because it looks absolutely devastating.  Since the last time someone used the full nelson slam, we've had approximately 81856129681265165 full nelson face busters.  Why is this the world we live in?

Test also had a really nice full nelson slam. It really should be brought back. Like you said, it looks devastating and it can be countered out of fairly easily to build drama.

I remember Christopher Nowinski had an ugly looking finisher. Some weird double underhook thing that didn't look good at all in my opinion. If your finisher doesn't look devastating when applied to Spike Dudley, you need a new one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I think he was referring to a basic splash (not off the top rope), which I think even Eddy would have trouble selling as a credible finisher.

Someone gets it.

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I actually like the cobra clutch slam as  a move but not as a finisher. That was like the one time Billy gun did something unique and different

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Candice Michelle's always looked inexplicably good, possibly because the other divas weren't protecting themselves properly on the bump.

So did Loverboy Dennis Condry's when he used it as an alternate Midnite Express finisher.

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

I actually like the cobra clutch slam as  a move but not as a finisher. That was like the one time Billy gun did something unique and different

The cobra clutch slam is different from what I was talking about. Gunn mostly used the CCS when he was The One but I do recall him using a drop sleeper at times at various points in his career.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Christopher Nowinski had an ugly looking finisher. Some weird double underhook thing that didn't look good at all in my opinion. If your finisher doesn't look devastating when applied to Spike Dudley, you need a new one.

Regal invented that by accident during a Worldwide squash. He was going for a Butterfly suplex, and the jobber didn't go up for it properly, so he improvised and spun him over like that to avoid accidentally Cham Paining him.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 7/13/2016 at 2:05 PM, supremebve said:

I would love to see a bigger guy bring back the helicopter slam that Sid used to do. Tremendous. He does it around the 2:20 mark of this.

On 13/07/2016 at 5:50 PM, cwoy2j said:

Jericho actually tried to get the Drop Sleeper over as a finish; was called the Flashback for a time.

• Like 1