DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K16

Last gen gets custom music but that's a no go on current gen, sharty me hearty.

Played as Austin vs. Reigns as the massive application data (42.354 GBs) downloaded. Switched momentum to slow and it was glorious. Kicked out of his superman punch, reversed his spear, hit him with a stunner, he kicked out. Match goes on for another five minutes or so and then he hits another superman punch and I kicked out. Then connects with a spear. Had to use a resiliency kickout on that one. Came back eventually with a second stunner to put his ass to sleep. Fantastic stuff! It's so hard to not reverse all the little attacks at the start of the match, though the reversal meter does replenish fairly quickly.

I've not played a Smackdown game in... 5 years? And the last one I think I enjoyed/obsessively played (as in had CAWS, fueds, PPVs and custom belts) was 2006? Mighty tempted to get this just for the Stone Cold legacy mode but it would be on PS3 - would I be missing much in comparison to current gen?

ahahaha I just accidentally whipped Big E into the barricade as Cesaro when I was trying to whip him into the ring, grappled him expecting a generic rabbit punch combo animation and instead he hits a euro uppercut then giant swings him into the barricade

at that point I was losing an elimination tag match because I got Kidd eliminated by going for a blockbuster on Kofi and getting hit with trouble in paradise in mid-air; the barricade spot set up Cesaro leveling it up with a VE uppercut and got a "this is awesome" chant; it WAS ossum, Maggle

Kofi was too slow to break the count because his stamina was low and he climbed in the ring slugglishly, kind of a genius fix to the tag match pin-breakup purgatory of the past half decade

• Like 2

The Austin/Steamboat bonus match recreates my favorite spot in the match and it was so awesome.  You'll know it when you see it.

In fact, it's pretty awesome how well they nailed that match.  They actually got a lot of little things I was sure they would miss, like the DRAGON SLAYER on Austin's trunks.

What, if any, are the things that have been left off of the last gen version? Anything significant that you can tell?

From what I have read (and Rev can confirm or deny) the career mode is totally gone.

The 2K Career mode has never been on the last gen systems.

The Austin/Steamboat bonus match recreates my favorite spot in the match and it was so awesome.  You'll know it when you see it.

In fact, it's pretty awesome how well they nailed that match.  They actually got a lot of little things I was sure they would miss, like the DRAGON SLAYER on Austin's trunks.

"HI EVERYBODY!"

I love that they not only gave Stunning Steve TWO different versions of Hollywood & Vine, but the camera taunt as well.  That's getting used on a CAW post-haste.

I'm up through Austin winning the belt at WM12, and I love how they're adding the "bonus matches" to keep the regular storyline intact.  The regular storyline starts at KOTR 96 and progresses normally, but adds stuff like Steamboat-Austin and Austin-Savio as the bonuses.

I'm honestly shocked at how good this game is.  I can't remember the last WWE game I immediately had this much fun with - might even have to go back to a PS2 game like Here Comes The Pain or a Fire Pro game.  There's just so many little touches that really improve the presentation - no loading screens on the match entrances, for instance.

• Like 1

Austin Steamboat was fun. So I bought the accelerator to unlock everything. I bought it on PS4, but it keeps saying it can't connect to the WWE 2K16 servers. My connection to tye net is fine. What the fuck.

Same here, it's pretty annoying.  I bought it at Gamestop (it's still EB to me, damnit!) and everything went through saying it was installed.  But I guess you need to go into their shop to redeem it as well.  I feel like it's some weird karma for people like us who want to have it all at the start.

That said, what a fucking fun game.  There must have been another update as Lillian's announcing wasn't broken anymore.  Showcase mode with Austin is tons of fun, and I'm cool with laying low for a couple minutes while they show cinematic footage of the match  Gotta show those youngins how awesome Austin/Steamboat and it was a blast.  But I sure hate the submission system, need to learn that more.

Lillian's announcing sucks, but I think it's just true to life.

She announces Tyler Breeze as "FROM SEASONAL RESIDENCE" instead of "From his seasonal residence in xxx" but she thinks Dublin is in England so she would probably really do that.

It's really hard for me not to run in or breakout during the entrances.  

I find it especially useful if I want to see how a wrestler looks like without committing to a full-on-match.  Will also come in handy if I download a CAS and want to see how they look.  And if that actually matters in Universe, then I could see doing that for a heated rivalry instead of doing their pre-set booking.

I skipped '15, but I'm thinking that I'll get '16 after reading this thread. You guys make this game sound like it's got good sim-style action. These games ALWAYS go on sale at Amazon on Black Friday, so I'll just watch for it to come up and order it then. 

After the game installed I ran three 4 way TLC matches with nonsensical combatants: Rick Rude (holy fuck, he's got like 82 overall, that's Adam Rose's rating!), Warrior, Andre, and Macho. The AI isn't very good. The 4 guys pair off for pretty much the entire match, one guy will be in the ring with the ladder and his opponent downed for a lengthy period, climb the sum'bitch and win while the other two guys are outside jerking each other off. The other two will make the attempted save but it's not all of the time and they're generally too slow. One on one ladder match AI was actually worse. The AI will often pick up a chair and go to the center of the ring thinking it's a ladder it seems. Then they'll get confused and eventually set up the chair in a corner. They are pretty ruthless once they do figure out they need a ladder not a chair to climb and because you stay down for so long once you're in the yellow and definitely in the red, you're pretty much fucked. Good thing is, ladder matches of any sort don't take 40 minutes to win but there is definitely a lack of polish for the AI in those matches.

Also disappointed, unless I'm missing something, there are no 2v2v2 TLC or ladder matches. No recreating the chaos of the Dudleyzzzz/E&C/Hardy Boyzzzz unfortunately.

Straight up singles matches fucking rule though. I think that's what's most important. 2K and co. will have time to fix all the other shit but the heart of pro wrestling is done very well, thankfully.