DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K16

I played some of Austin's storyline, which I really enjoyed. I played the KotR match, the Bret Hart match at Survivor Series and the Bret Hart match at WM 13. I thought you were supposed to play through his career in WCW or ECW though, so is that not correct?

The Survivor Series match in particular was so damn fun. I can't believe I kicked out when I was so hurt, not to mention withstanding the Sharpshooter in spite of the really broken submission system.

Fuck that submission system. It's awful. Moving the stick left and right feels like it does NOTHING. Moving it in a circle feels as useless. The zone you control really feels like it has a mind of it's own. They need to patch it ASAP.

I then messed with WWE Universe mode some more. I think I figured out how you set the roster for brands, which is from the calendar screen, right? In any event, I added some flavor to the NXT brand. Some guys, like Cactus Jack and Mark Henry are a part of the NXT brand and I immediately started a rivalry between Finn Balor and Mark Henry. The first match between them played out so much like the first match between Vader and Sting. Balor got in some offense, but bit off way more than he could chew. Henry really beat the brakes off of him and was immediately catapulted to #1 contender.

Anyone have this on PS3?

Is it worth upgrading from 2k14? I mostly play universe mode and im big on customizing the current roster. Can we still edit gear, entrances, moves and music?

Yes.

I suggest everyone play the Austin vs Steamboat match as early as they can, because the Bash at the Beach arena IS SO AWESOME

First match Universe Mode booked was Reigns vs Orton.

And I was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKK I can't decide which one of these guys I hate less

Then I went with DVDVR March Madness Semifinalist Roman Reigns.

The match ended up being awesome.  Randy won by DDTing me on my already bleeding beautiful Samoan face, but shit was back and forth.  I just like that the computer was able to beat me semi fairly, but about 20% of that was me sucking at the pin system.  A LOT better at it now.

Not sure how I feel about this game. I had to fuck around quite a bit in the options menu to make it playable for me. This new limited reversal gimmick isn't working for me, I'm too competitive to have my ass get beat by the com. Submissions are also pretty ass. To top it off the ref is slowwwww as fuck.

Took me fucking Roman Reigns to finally fuck up Kevin Owens (who kept handing me my ass). 

The Austin showcase is great though. My last WWE game was '13, because I still wear my Attitude era nostalgia goggles and this is as close as it gets to have another go at it.

I must say that the character selection is also very very impressive. Even a bit too overwhelming. 

I suggest everyone play the Austin vs Steamboat match as early as they can, because the Bash at the Beach arena IS SO AWESOME

First match Universe Mode booked was Reigns vs Orton.

And I was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKK I can't decide which one of these guys I hate less

Then I went with DVDVR March Madness Semifinalist Roman Reigns.

The match ended up being awesome.  Randy won by DDTing me on my already bleeding beautiful Samoan face, but shit was back and forth.  I just like that the computer was able to beat me semi fairly, but about 20% of that was me sucking at the pin system.  A LOT better at it now.

That's exactly how I feel.  In MyCareer I've lost a good 50-60% of my matches, but they've all been so fun and so back and forth I don't care. 

I have yet to play My Career, but I will say that my experiences have been positive so far, except for the super shitty submission system. The feedback for it is SO POOR. Like I said, it doesn't matter if you move the stick left to right, or in a circle, it's just bad.

Had they kept it the same as the mini game for collar and elbow tie ups, but a little slower, it would have been perfect. All you would need to do is give the person applying the submission less zones (maybe 1) early in the match, but the person in the submission has more zones to light up. As the match progresses and more damage is done, the opposite is true. Square (PS4 here) still applies a strike while one of the R buttons still wrenches the submission to throw off the person trying to defend it.

Like I said, that would have been just fine. It's one less mini game, it actually WORKS, and the idea of pounding on the part of the body you're applying the submission to or wrenching in the submission fits how that works in an actual match. Imagine this, it looks like your opponent is about to bust out of an abdominal stretch, but you press the square button to start pounding on your opponents ribs to halt their progress in breaking out. It could also be context sensitive. If it's a sleeper hold, you do the whole wrenching in your arms tighter thing.

Even better, give the person in the submission ways of halting the progress of the opponent applying the submission based on certain ability. So if you're Dean Ambrose, and you have some kind of a resiliency ability, pressing one of the R buttons (again, I forget which one) makes you start biting your own fingers to block the pain. Or if you're a technical wrestler, you get an opportunity to reverse the submission.

FUCK. The more I think about that and type that out, the more I think that was a huge missed opportunity that seems very simple to put in the game since it's pretty close to other mini games that are already in the game.

You were fucking Roman Reigns? Ok.

It helped him beat Kevin Owens somehow though. Sami Zayn better start doing some butthole kegels

They did wonders for Shawn Michaels' career...

• Like 1

I don't want any minigames at all.  Fuck it, make it damage based.  You kick out of a pin if you're not too hurt to do it.  You submit if you're too fucked up.  This is how everything we played in the late 90s-early 2000s that we wish games were still like played anyway.

Shit, Firepro all you'd have to do to kick out is hold down the button.  No tappymash, no minigames, and if you were too fucked up you wouldn't do it, but you could time a perfect 2.9 if you wanted to work a match.

Last night I was playing and have a habit of doing the Stone Cold promos along with Stone Cold in Stone Cold's voice.  Kind of forgot I had my window open.  My neighbors might think I kidnapped Stone Cold you guys

But at least they know if you put S in front of Hitman you'll have my exact opinion of Bret Hart

• Like 1

Last night I was playing and have a habit of doing the Stone Cold promos along with Stone Cold in Stone Cold's voice.  Kind of forgot I had my window open.  My neighbors might think I kidnapped Stone Cold you guys

But at least they know if you put S in front of Hitman you'll have my exact opinion of Bret Hart

That makes me feel better about hearing "LOU THESZ PRESS PISTON RIGHTS STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD" in my head during every Austin match I've done.

Finished the showcase. Meh...it was alright. I think I'm just tired of reliving WWF in the 90's. I really enjoyed the WCW and ECW stuff, that's where they should go next year IMO.

Don't know how they botched Rock's attire at WM X-7, but I'm picky. Little inaccuracies take me outta the match.

The server suck ass, but when you can connect, there's already some decent alt. attires and CAWs on there. It never takes makers long. Got me a couple Rick Rude alts that are spot on.

Is this year's not getting a PC release? It's a shame it looks like they only got last year's (by consensus) inferior game and it killed their interest to try it again. This one sounds a lot more fun.

Maybe they'll release it in the spring like they did with last year's because ummm because? The modding community never really took off from what I saw. The NBA 2K PC guys have just only now got a program that will allow them to do all the things they used to be able to do with the last gen series (which was seriously amazing. Rosters going back every year to the '60s I think it was, the last I checked - with draft classes!). If they start releasing season mods dating back to the '90s by next summer, I may end up with both the PS4 and PC versions of the game.

I do hope this is something they stick with and try to build up. If they do another very, very delayed release again - it's not helping their cause.

Finished the showcase. Meh...it was alright. I think I'm just tired of reliving WWF in the 90's. I really enjoyed the WCW and ECW stuff, that's where they should go next year IMO.

Don't know how they botched Rock's attire at WM X-7, but I'm picky. Little inaccuracies take me outta the match.

The server suck ass, but when you can connect, there's already some decent alt. attires and CAWs on there. It never takes makers long. Got me a couple Rick Rude alts that are spot on.

Some of these little things irk me. Hate the fact we don't have a Raw or Smackdown 2000/2001 arena (or matches in those arenas). I also have a lot of possible matches in the game are just briefly glossed over in the cutscenes. They could've done a ton of extra bonus matches against midcarders (e.g. feud against Goldust).

Surprised though that Taker has his Rollin' theme.

The learning curve for this game is quite steep, but overall I have no buyers remorse. The submissions are still complete and total ass.

The submission system is horrific.  I almost cut the game off before I was able to submit Enzo in the opening tutorial of the career mode.  Enzo was beat up, injured, and there only to be submitted, and I barely submitted him after about 15 tries.  There are a couple of things that videogames can't ever get right for some odd reason.  It is 2015 and there have been wrestling and MMA videogames for 15-20 years, and none of the submission systems work in a way that makes sense.  Another thing that wrestling video games never get right, black people's hair.  Why can't my create a wrestler get a haircut with a decent line up?  Seriously, I spent as much time trying to find hair that didn't look like either a balding old man or a Terrance Howard character. 

• Like 2

I am really into this game so far.  Love it.  I also haven't owned a wrestling game in years though.  I completely agree on the submission system and I don't like mini games at all anyway.  Why don't you just make the likelihood of a submission be based on the health and stamina of the wrestler? Same for a finisher and pinfall.  If you're about dead and they hit a signature move and then go for submission finisher, you should lose.  Pretty damn simple to me.