DVDVR Message Board

I Am A Fool

DEAN

They had "tournament matches", but I feel like I remember hearing there wasn't an actual tournament for it.  Didn't they come up with it being a double elimination tournament after accidentally booking someone in it twice?

I dunno, maybe we're all fools on this one.

I could've sworn the final was the only match in the tournament. I think Liger (or whoever booked the NJPW juniors) took one look at the WCW cluster and said "we'll do you a solid and pretend everything worked out fine."

They definitely aired matches on shows like Worldwide and Pro.  I distinctly remember a Brad Armstrong-Dean Malenko match that was booked as a tourney match on one of those shows.

Edit: Guess it was Saturday Night: http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/1996042s.htm

Also, googling things, it looks like the final of the tournament happened before they started/finished having tournament matches.

i believe what happened was that they just had cruiserweight matches, but then on commentary would mention whether or not it was a tournament match. there was never a bracket shown, and then they announced that the "finals" were happening at whatever PPV it was. there was no tournament, and the matches were of no consequence to the finals.

i believe what happened was that they just had cruiserweight matches, but then on commentary would mention whether or not it was a tournament match. there was never a bracket shown, and then they announced that the "finals" were happening at whatever PPV it was. there was no tournament, and the matches were of no consequence to the finals.

Oh yeah, but who cares?  It was the most interesting mainstream wrestling had been to me in 10 years and ushered Eddy Guerrerro to America's consciousness.

Trying to make sense of a WCW tournament will make a fool out of you pretty easily.

Remember when they held a tournament to crown new champions after Rick Steiner got hurt and he and Judy Bagwell had to vacate the tag titles?  Judy Bagwell, Tag Team Champion somehow doesn't even seem like the dumbest part of any of this.

Rick Steiner and Buff Bagwell originally won the titles from The Giant and Scott Steiner (subbing for Scott Hall because...who knows).  Bagwell turned on Rick during the match so Rick got to choose another partner and picked...Kenny Kaos?  Then Kaos got hurt so Rick picked Buff's mother, Judy.  Then Rick got hurt and Judy wasn't even afforded the opportunity to pick a replacement partner.

http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/tagt1999.htm

I have no recollection of the NWO forcing a restart.  I vaguely remember on Nitro/Thunder the commentators would talk about a tournament needing to take place in the future while a tournament was already occurring on Saturday Night.  Then the first tournament just got shitcanned.  At no point do I ever remember seeing any brackets for either tournament.

Kaos and Eaton advanced in the first tourney and then weren't even included in the second.  Finlay and Taylor got screwed too having to get reset after already winning two matches.

Should've just put the belts on Kenny Kaos and Judy Bagwell.  High Baggage.

• Like 1

For some reason, I have in my head the idea of WCW taking over control of the FA cup and trying to run it. We end up with a Watford Vs. FC United of Manchester final.

FTFY.

I remember being at a house show and someone saying Ultimate Warrior went to WCW to become Van Hammer after "making himself look like Sammy Hagar"

I was like 11 and knew the dude was a fool

I am never a fool

• Like 1

For some reason, I have in my head the idea of WCW taking over control of the FA cup and trying to run it. We end up with a Watford Vs. FC United of Manchester final.

FTFY.

You wrote that as if it wouldn't be one of the most awesome things to happen.