DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The worst angle in early ROH: "Who shit in the Carnage Crew's bags?"

That really happened. Don't remember if there was ever a pay-off.

That's pretty close to the core idea of my shitty (ho ho ho) fantasy booking.

Pro Wrestling: where the reality outflanks the satire

It turned out to be an inside job and Masada was behind it. He then brought in Danny Daniels as the new Carnage Crew. This feud brought ROH to the forefront of indy promotions.

• Like 3

Shit, even younger guys who are supposed to be "different" still cling to the stupid old rules. Look at CM Punk, who famously gets pissed at fans calling him "Phil" of even "Mr. Brooks." That's some stuck in kayfabe shit right there. Because "marks" with "insider knowledge" are presumptuous assholes, right? Never mind that kayfabe is long dead.

Not the same thing AT ALL. I can't even believe you would mention that in the same post.

Regardless, the guy spent close to 20 years making the name "CM Punk" mean something. He cracked his skull for that name. He spent the prime of his life on the road for that name. He threw away relationships and family members for that name. He's not an actor who plays a different role every couple of years, he spent his name sacrificing for the name "CM Punk". You damn right it's disrespectful.

Shit, even younger guys who are supposed to be "different" still cling to the stupid old rules. Look at CM Punk, who famously gets pissed at fans calling him "Phil" of even "Mr. Brooks." That's some stuck in kayfabe shit right there. Because "marks" with "insider knowledge" are presumptuous assholes, right? Never mind that kayfabe is long dead.

Not the same thing AT ALL. I can't even believe you would mention that in the same post.

Regardless, the guy spent close to 20 years making the name "CM Punk" mean something. He cracked his skull for that name. He spent the prime of his life on the road for that name. He threw away relationships and family members for that name. He's not an actor who plays a different role every couple of years, he spent his name sacrificing for the name "CM Punk". You damn right it's disrespectful.

CM Punk, is that you?

• Like 4

This Demott thing is indicative of the larger problem in wrestling today where the people in charge of the business just refuse to acknowledge that times have changed.  They're in love with the in the romantic notions of the territory/kayfabe era and all the weird attitudes wrestlers carried around then.  Treating trainees like shit, to the point of physical abuse, is fine because of the old school mentality that this is what you're supposed to do.  Vince McMahon came up in the kayfabe era and Triple H longs for those days where it was all a big con on the dumb marks, so things aren't going to change.

Shit, even younger guys who are supposed to be "different" still cling to the stupid old rules.  Look at CM Punk, who famously gets pissed at fans calling him "Phil" of even "Mr. Brooks."  That's some stuck in kayfabe shit right there.  Because "marks" with "insider knowledge" are presumptuous assholes, right?  Never mind that kayfabe is long dead. 

In short, this shit's not going to improve because the people in the business treat it like it's 1974.  Everything is different now but somehow, in wrestling, it's still okay to call somebody a "faggot" and try to injure them because, fuck, man, Hiro Matsuda did it back in the day so why not? 

So many things wrong with this post. 

What Demott is suppose to be doing is not like the way it was done in the old days. Harley Race thought it was bullshit and he broke into wrestling in the late fifties. Now do you imagine that was some sort of soft cuddly little rump. They did work guys hard and did teach them how to fight, protect the business and themselves. 

Matsuda and Bob Roop would rough guys up in Florida to weed people out. They were not maimed, but they were roughed up.

The students at NXT have been wrestling for a few years already and are suppose to be potential main eventers. Demott is simply being an abusive asshole against people who can't fight back. There is no practical reason for it. 

CM Punk has every right to be annoyed at people calling him by his birth name. I would not like a stranger calling me by my middle name. I do not care for being called "Vic" in real life. 

And as far as I know Punk has not attacked anyone for calling him Phil. He has rather curtly said he does not like that. 

As an aside,the further wrestling has gone into the corporate culture the worse it has gotten. I think that is difficult to deny. 

• Like 1

Football (American...but maybe the other kind too) has a history of bullying/hazing/abusing the rookies as well.  I'm all for team building amd comraderie amongst the athletes on their chosen playing surface but the old way of doing things should have gone away long before we found out about Bobby Knight/Beyond the Mat/GAEA Girls.

40 years ago, Demott would have gotten his ass kicked or cut before things got this far. Now even if a student told him to "fuck off" they would be fired. So the corporate culture is protecting him more than the old "carny" system.

• Like 2

Someone else brought it up in another thread, but calling him by his real name would be like calling Charlie Sheen "Carlos" or some other celebrity by their non-stage name.  How rude it might actually be is up to how offended the individual is, but Punk getting upset about the situation had more to do with the fan bugging him while he was trying to buy a hot dog more than anything else.  This stems to the larger issue of people thinking they have some entitlement to infringe on celebrities' private lives and that they should drop everything to acknowledge a fan.  Had the guy approached him in a similar manner when he wasn't preoccupied with something else, Punk might have had a less negative reaction.

CM Punk, is that you?

Yes.

• Like 2

CM Punk, is that you?
Yes.

Sup Phillip

For fuck's sake, the closest comparison to wrestlers would be soap actors and I'm pretty sure all of them prefer to use their real names.

Phil Brooks has played the CM Punk character for 15 years in the same way that Eileen Davidson has spent 30 years playing Ashley Abbott. Before you make the "but he did so in multiple companies" argument, Davidson also played her role on multiple shows.

Wrestlers look silly when they cling to the "call me my gimmick name" bullshit.

• Like 2

I think DeMott is in the clear until a woman comes out with claims. Which really sucks.

He's been accused of sexually harassing Audrey Marie, but she never came forward herself, presumably out of fear. Then she got released a few months later, and hasn't done much in wrestling since.

Just thought about this: wouldn't it be great to have a WWE version of Mortal Kombat with the guys filmed doing their own characters like how they used to? Ryback would be especially good and/or irritating because he has so many catchphrases you can hear him yelling out in Kombat-ese during his matches:

WAKE UP

IT'S FEEDING TIME

STUPID

FINISH IT

and of course after he decapitates someone with a Meathook for Fatality

RYBACK RULES

FEED ME MORE

As an aside,the further wrestling has gone into the corporate culture the worse it has gotten. I think that is difficult to deny. 

Could you explain this part?  I work in a corporation and I have sweet health insurance, paid time off, and nobody here is allowed to smack me or call me a faggot. 

Times change and considering wrestling a separate culture that rightfully polices itself through bag shitting and physical abuse only enables people like DeMott; small men who abuse it to make up for their own insecurities.   I think the days of laughing about this kind of stuff, "wrestlers' court" and other frathouse bullshit, like, "oh hah ha oh you wrestlers, you lovable scamps" should have ended quite some time ago. 

It's not the early days anymore.  Wrestlers don't have to stretch trainees to gauge their toughness, rough them up to make sure they "want it" bad enough or beat up, belittle or otherwise shit on those who would threaten kayfabe.  Everyone knows this is fake already.  Guys who are insecure about playfighting in their underwear will just need to find some other way to feel tough.

• Like 1

DeMott should be fired for manhandling Rusev in a neck brace and kicking someone in their medical boot. The rest of the stuff is just icing on the cake but those two offenses should be good enough to get a person fired and lose all credibility in training someone

CM Punk, is that you?
Yes.

Sup Phillip

I thought he posted here as Fat Spanish Waiter.

40 years ago, Demott would have gotten his ass kicked or cut before things got this far. Now even if a student told him to "fuck off" they would be fired. So the corporate culture is protecting him more than the old "carny" system.

This x1000.  Just ask Alberto. 

Just thought I'd jump in quickly on the CM Punk/Phil Brooks thing.

As some of you know, I'm a radio dj and, at least here in southern Idaho, I have become a pretty big deal. Billboards, t-shirts, parades, a burger named after me, etc., I've done it. I use a radio "name". The full name is "Dr. Nick Redbone" (long story) but most folks bring it down to Doctor or "Doc." I also play in a band in the area that has been around for awhile and so my real name, Jason, gets thrown around on stage and among other musicians. With that said, it's the worst kept secret in the area that Dr. Nick and Jason Ramsey are the same dude. Most of the time, 99% of the time, when I'm out and get recognized it's very respectful and they usually call me Doc. However, I have gotten the "hey Jason" from someone I don't know from Adam and they want to talk radio. I'm here to tell you that, yes, it bugs me. It's almost as if they are trying to feign a personal relationship that isn't there. If I'm with my wife and kids, it's incredibly irritating. It's gotten even more odd when they by pass my "performer' Facebook page and  decide that they want to find my personal one. Now, obviously I've never beaten anyone up or sworn at them for using my given name but it's very off putting all the same. It feels like a personal intrusion as opposed to someone who just really likes your work.

Feel free to now put me in the weird pile.

• Like 7

If anyone on this board called me by my real name I would flip the fuck out.  I also wear a mask when I am posting here so no one will ever know my real identity.  I'll be working the gimmick until the end brother.  

Are you selling t-shirts? I'll come by your table...