DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

FUCKING BALIN GWALIN FILI KILI ORI DORI NORI LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER!!!1

I was in the upper deck in right field tonight and this is pretty much verbatim what I heard for three straight hours.  They also attempted the wave about a dozen times in the 8th inning alone.  Right field terrace at Busch Stadium is Cardinals Nation at its classiest.

They were apparently on camera outside too:  http://deadspin.com/cardinals-fans-get-ugly-in-clash-with-ferguson-proteste-1643282285

I don't even know if I can sarcastically support the Cards anymore. I mean, I know baseball attracts a more conservative breed but gotdayum. :( I think the best/worst one was when the lady yells that they gave "y'all your freedoms."

Piranesi, please tell me they were Dodgers fans in disguise giving you Cardinal fans a bad reputation.

Not defending Cardinal Nation, but go into the cheap seats anywhere, and that is where the "real" fans are. I imagine ever fan base has a local style fo fan like that. . . 

EDIT:  Just clicked on the link to see what the hubbub was about: FUCK THOSE PEOPLE. . . .

I got nothing.  The closest I've ever seen was at Cal when some environmentalists were protesting old Redwoods being knocked down to expand a college football team's weight room.  And on game day watching these fat privileged alumni in their $200 uniforms screaming profanities at these quiet peaceful kids like the concept of environment itself was a threat to their tribal religion or something.

And this is 1000 times worse. 

This is the kind of thing that makes you look at everyone you run into during the day and wonder "Well, now, what evil shit is going on behind your smiling eyes that I can't see because you're not just hopped up enough and in a big enough group to let it out right now?"

I wish there was an insane commissioner with the balls to immediately declare game 4 an empty stadium game that will not be broadcast in St. Louis.  That seems like something UEFA or something would do.

• Like 4

Anyone who says "all y'all" deserves every bit of vitriol heading their way.

I guess being in the cheap seats kept me sheltered from the true ugliness last night.  Our section were most offended by the posh, smug fans who drank Bud Select instead of Bud Light.

I made the mistake of talking about this with someone over Twitter. He's a Cardinals fan, I'm a Cubs fan, but we're both pretty easy going and accepting of other opinions. Then the flood gates of Cardinals fans opened and the ignoring of the racism and bashing of the Cubs began. Way to stay classy Cardinals fans on Twitter, because clearly the Cubs not making the playoffs is the same as certain members of your fandom being vile racists.

• Like 1

Oh, come now Craig. There are at least three decent Cards fans just on this very board, and I would only consider 2 of them virulent racists. 

I'm about as liberal as they come, and I am already resigned to being lumped in with the buttholes from that video in most peoples eyes for they next three years. 

Living in St. Louis and being a Cubs fans, I feel like I can give perspective on this.

The Cardinal fan base, from my experience, is very very ordinairy. Full of idiots, with some really smart fans on the fringe when you are looking for them. The main things that make them so incredibly annoying as a group to me is there sense of entitlement, there sheer numbers, and the cult like following of them. The entitlement is obvious, but runs deeper then other fanbases. Without the history of big money spending, they feel like there front office is the smartest in baseball, which they might be right with. However, they mistakingly associate that there fanbases intelligence matches that of there management. It does not. At all.

Sheer Numbers is obvious: St. Louis treats baseball like a lot of major US cities treat football or Euro countries treat futball. It is the only game anyone cares about here. Hockey has a decent fanbase, but if the Rams moved, nobody would care.

Then there is the Cult aspect, which is what drives me nuts. If you are not a Cards fan in St. Louis, you are an outsider. As a kid, I got beat up for being a Cubs fan. To this day, people still try to talk me out of being a Cubs fan, like they literally cannot understand me for being something other then that.

• Like 1

I got nothing.  The closest I've ever seen was at Cal when some environmentalists were protesting old Redwoods being knocked down to expand a college football team's weight room.  And on game day watching these fat privileged alumni in their $200 uniforms screaming profanities at these quiet peaceful kids like the concept of environment itself was a threat to their tribal religion or something.

I sat behind/in the Notre Dame friends/family/parents section for an NCAA men's basketball tournament game in Spokane.  Those people started griping with, literally, the opening tip (it apparently was thrown too straight up in the air or something) and never quit the entire game.  They were vile, foul, obnoxious and just unbearable to be around.  Which made Notre Dame losing all the more sweet.

Bryce Harper is one bad mother.  That homer to tie the game didn't need help getting into the bay.  

And Hunter Strickland will be getting a fruit basket from people in DC given his pitching this series

Listen I know that San Fran is a rather eccentric area but seriously stop doing God Bless America if you are going to fuck it up.  First Tony Bennett making up words and now crazy hat lady.  Even people in Baltimore looked at that and thought that was weird     <_<

Much better time at the Cardinals game today.  Even in the postseason, the upper deck on a weekday afternoon is a pleasant mix of potheads and the elderly.  Sometimes both in one.  Those are my kinds of St. Louis baseball fans; the ones who vividly remember seeing Pete Gray and the '45 Browns mingling with the burnouts who may or may not have fought Keith Hernandez at a hotel bar in the early '80s.