DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

The Cardinals' game 5 experience:

IXadeU.gif

So many bad moves and non-moves from Matheny. 

It's been a weird October in that there have been a huge assortment of great close games featuring lots of extra innings played but all the series have been lopsided.

Well, I've got this guy.  He pitched great late last year, but he's been injured and came back late this season, pretty shaky.  So shaky that I know I can't start him in the postseason.

So you're going to leave him off the roster.

No.  I'm going to put him in the bullpen.  I have no idea how he'll react or what kind of stuff he has right now.  But I'm going to take a precious bullpen slot and use it to have him sit there.

He's not going to pitch?

Of course not.  I literally have no idea what he's going to throw up there.  His arm could be dead right now for all I know.  Any chance I had early in the postseason to test him, I didn't take...so I know as little as the rest of you guys do.  And now it's been weeks since he pitched in a game at all.  So, using him would be crazy.  But I'll let him take this spot in the bullpen...for the lulz.

And you won't ever use him.

Actually, I just decided to.  In our first win-or-go-home game.  When it's tied.  In the bottom of the ninth.

What?

Yeah, I know.  I literally don't know if he can even throw two of his three pitches.  Like, no one on earth knows what he has.  So, yeah.  Bottom 9th, tie game, win or die....FOR THE LULZ!!!!

• Like 5

The Cards have spent the entire season winning in spite of there manager. Honestly, them making it so far anyway is why they are the Cards.

Each year they get a little worse in places.  The bullpen is a big one.  Each year from the end of the La Russa era the bullpen has gradually morphed from being able to carry an entire team to a WS victory to being break-even, to being a liability.

They're one year away from sinking to the middle of the pack.

The Cards have spent the entire season winning in spite of there manager. Honestly, them making it so far anyway is why they are the Cards.

Each year they get a little worse in places.  The bullpen is a big one.  Each year from the end of the La Russa era the bullpen has gradually morphed from being able to carry an entire team to a WS victory to being break-even, to being a liability.

They're one year away from sinking to the middle of the pack.

Never underestimate the ability of the Brewers and Reds to occupy the middle of the pack.

Cardinals free agents this winter: Mark Ellis, Jason Motte, Pat Neshek, Justin Masterson, AJ Pierzynski, John Lackey (if he decides to retire instead of playing for the league minimum)

Cardinals free agent next winter: Randy Choate, John Lackey (if he doesn't rework his deal/retire), Jaime Garcia (club option that will surely be declined)

Needless to say, they don't have much to worry about the next two winters.

Cardinals free agents this winter: Mark Ellis, Jason Motte, Pat Neshek, Justin Masterson, AJ Pierzynski, John Lackey (if he decides to retire instead of playing for the league minimum)

Cardinals free agent next winter: Randy Choate, John Lackey (if he doesn't rework his deal/retire), Jaime Garcia (club option that will surely be declined)

Needless to say, they don't have much to worry about the next two winters.

They are losing there best reliever in a league were it's being revealed you can't win in the playoffs without a good bullpen. They also only had one player have an OPS above .8 this year, that being Holliday, who is in his mid 30s. There offense was just not very good this year, there best pitcher is gutsy as he'll but been in decline, and there only other starter who was very good this year was Lynn.

The only thing that seems to matter is that the Cards are the Cards though. But with managing in question, it's possible next year could be the year everything falls apart.

Why do you hate the Cubs, Phil?  Why?

Cubs are an all or nothing team. Emphasis on the nothing part up until recently.

...it has been a literal century since they were "all".

A century plus six years if your counting, not that I am :)