DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

It's almost time... barring a collapse, it looks like...

American League

Oakland/Kansas City @ Los Angeles of Anaheim

Detroit @ Baltimore

National League

San Francisco/Pittsburgh @ Washington

St. Louis @ Los Angeles of Los Angeles  (this may swap)

So, not only do we have the very real possibility of a Freeway Series, but we also have the possibility of - to Rippa's horror - a Beltway series. 

Baltimore announced they're going with a 4 man rotation for the Quarterfinals (I forget whatever they call it).  

Ratings wouldn't crater so bad if the dipshits at national outlets like, I dunno, the four letter network maybe featured the Pirates, KC, Oakland, etc instead of carrying installment #445 of Red Sox-Yankees or the gazillionth Derek Jeter Greatest Human In Humanity night on their national telecasts.

It's the Tiger Woods Syndrome...you teach tv audiences to only pay attention to these guys over here and ratings tank when those guys flame out. Say what you will about football but their rules about x number of national games per team and/or every team needing at least one prime time game is something the doofs at MLB should learn from.

Sorry for the rant but national baseball coverage is a major pet peeve of mine.

• Like 2

Well that is a different issue.

My point is this

With no large market East Coast team in the playoffs - it is going to hurt the ratings.

No Boston, NY, Philly, etc... means less people watching period. (As in actual eye balls available to be in front a TV screen.) The more teams in the same time zone the better 

And if it is LA vs. LA or LA vs. San Fran - no one on the East Coast is going to watch. Yet MLB will stupidly start the games at 5 pm in the West in trying to attract the East Coast - thus screwing the West Coast fans... who would be the ones most likely to watch in the first place.

Ratings wouldn't crater so bad if the dipshits at national outlets like, I dunno, the four letter network maybe featured the Pirates, KC, Oakland, etc instead of carrying installment #445 of Red Sox-Yankees or the gazillionth Derek Jeter Greatest Human In Humanity night on their national telecasts.

It's the Tiger Woods Syndrome...you teach tv audiences to only pay attention to these guys over here and ratings tank when those guys flame out. Say what you will about football but their rules about x number of national games per team and/or every team needing at least one prime time game is something the doofs at MLB should learn from.

It doesn't help that the playoffs are scattered all over the cable dial. Say what you want about FOX or ESPN, but at least you know where the games will be. Yeah I know it isn't hard to look up, but most of the viewing public won't search for the games. . . 

Yeah - though that only applies for the playoff series and not the World Series

But yeah - I am almost positive TBS outdraws Fox Sports

EDIT - I am sure Joe will have access to an updated number but a chart I found from Aug 2013 has

TBS - 87% of available homes

FS1 - 75% of available homes

re: national outlets only carrying big markets. I actually did a breakdown of this earlier, and there's a reason they do it - those games with bigger markets generally draw larger ratings than games featuring smaller markets, even if they're better teams. It's a short-term/long-term thing: do you try to build up those smaller markets and stars in them (Gordon, McCutchen, etc) and deal with awful ratings now, or do you go back to the well with the larger markets, get higher ratings today, and sacrifice long-term buildup?

• Like 1

Yes, because the NFL does not give us tons and tons and tons of Steelers, Pats, Broncos, Seahwaks, 49ers, Packers and Cowboys games.  Curse the NFL for not showing winning/popular teams!  /snark over

Personally, I don't watch ESPN unless they are showing a pro football game.  So I couldn't tell you what they show of MLB - because god knows you couldn't pay me to watch ESPN's baseball coverage.  

I know Oakland gets some love but they are hampered by being on the West Coast and Fox/ESPN being East Coast-centric.  I know the Fox Saturday games used to give me plenty enough Pirates games over the past couple years.  And the Indians used to get plenty of love when they were good.

KC is a weird situation as this is their first year of not being atrocious in almost 30 years.  Was Fox and ESPN supposed to show some of those shitty Pirates and Royals teams of the past 15 years?  That doesn't seem like a good way to sell baseball to me.

And back when I was a kid and I didn't have cable, the only games I could see were whatever local games I could get and the Saturday Game of the Week and Monday Night Baseball.  In the 80's the meant a helluva lot of Mets, Dodgers, Cubs and Cardinals.  So it wasn't exactly better back in the day.

The thing is, people will watch pretty much anything when it comes to playoffs.  But it sure would help if the networks got better production values and announcers.  

re: national outlets only carrying big markets. I actually did a breakdown of this earlier, and there's a reason they do it - those games with bigger markets generally draw larger ratings than games featuring smaller markets, even if they're better teams. It's a short-term/long-term thing: do you try to build up those smaller markets and stars in them (Gordon, McCutchen, etc) and deal with awful ratings now, or do you go back to the well with the larger markets, get higher ratings today, and sacrifice long-term buildup?

Well, the obvious solution is to show the large market teams when they play the small market teams - schedules permitting and all that.

But I mean, the problem is if you schedule an August Red Sox-Royals game at the beginning of the season and the Royals end up 20 games out at that point, you have set yourself up for a turd sandwich.

That's obviously a good idea, but considering that each team only plays non-division rivals twice a year, there's a chance it can work out poorly. The Royals got both the Red Sox and Yankees in September, so that worked out great for them to get national airtime. But the Mariners? Three of their four series against those two teams were done by the end of June, and they were still hovering around .500 then.

I think that's why teams like the Orioles and Rays get helped a lot on the national scale - they play those two teams 18 times a year, and there are plenty of chances for them to show up on the national stage. The same is true with the dregs of the NL West - we know we're going to get a lot of Dodgers and Giants games in late timeslots, and the DBacks, Padres, and Rockies will show up more often than you'd expect. If only they were, you know, good.

There really is no easy answer aside from "focus on the local audience and worry about the rest later". When you have teams pulling local ratings each night of the summer that cream everything else on TV in that market, broadcast and cable, you're doing something right.

That's obviously a good idea, but considering that each team only plays non-division rivals twice a year, there's a chance it can work out poorly. The Royals got both the Red Sox and Yankees in September, so that worked out great for them to get national airtime. But the Mariners? Three of their four series against those two teams were done by the end of June, and they were still hovering around .500 then.

I think that's why teams like the Orioles and Rays get helped a lot on the national scale - they play those two teams 18 times a year, and there are plenty of chances for them to show up on the national stage. The same is true with the dregs of the NL West - we know we're going to get a lot of Dodgers and Giants games in late timeslots, and the DBacks, Padres, and Rockies will show up more often than you'd expect. If only they were, you know, good.

There really is no easy answer aside from "focus on the local audience and worry about the rest later". When you have teams pulling local ratings each night of the summer that cream everything else on TV in that market, broadcast and cable, you're doing something right.

Exactly.  People have seemingly ignored that MLB does great ratings on the RSN's.  

So maybe people need to look at declining playoff ratings as something more than the sport dying and actually need to look at...I dunno...the crappiness of Fox and TBS.

Beltway series?

Parkway series?

You all know what it's going to be...you just don't want to admit it.

1985.orta(RonaldC.ModraSI).jpg

God damn it.

It's coming back to me now.  The heartbreak of a new baseball fan seeing his team come close to the crown, but yet so far...

In all seriousness, that was a fun team in the '80s.  Ozzie, Coleman, McGee, etc.

And with the Cubs victory over the Cards last night, the NL Central is still up for grabs.

In a season like this, where the Cubs were practically destined to have a losing season, it has been a lot of fun. Ending the season by fucking the Cards over and letting the Buccos take over the Central would be the mint icing on the cellular peptide cake.

And with the Cubs victory over the Cards last night, the NL Central is still up for grabs.

In a season like this, where the Cubs were practically destined to have a losing season, it has been a lot of fun. Ending the season by fucking the Cards over and letting the Buccos take over the Central would be the mint icing on the cellular peptide cake.

Yes. Collude with your fellow gross hippie commune-mates, "man."  Get "mellow" and write some manifestos and "occupy" the student union.  I'm sure it'll be "groovy" to make fun of the "squares."

But "the man" isn't going anywhere. :

briefcase082way_custom_47172e04ff2ea7a13

Omnis October, Decretum tibi fidelis in aeternum.