DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not sure I've ever heard a quieter stadium than tonight's Pittsburgh crowd. It's like a tomb. A tomb that gives up grand slams.

I do quite like the fighting spirit -- or gallows humor? -- of those guys starting up the "Cueto" chant last inning.

It's an even numbered year.  You need a wooden stake and large quantities of garlic to eliminate the Giants from the playoffs.

For people that are criticizing Clint Hurdle for going with Cole in game 162 instead of resting him tonight,  tonight's game is more proof that he was right.  Making the wild card game is better than nothing but it is really something you don't want to do.  If you can avoid it and win the division you do it.    Remember the Cards were going to start Wainright if the Pirates won that game so they had the same strategy

Still a damn good season.  The future is bright although it would really help if they can keep Russell Martin

See, I disagree. Granted it doesn't matter who you start when you score 0 runs, strike out a billion times and never get a guy to 2nd base but I think if you're going down in a one game playoff, go down with your best guys. I don't care what the numbers were - numbers lie - Volquez was not their best guy. After they lost on Saturday and the Cards had Wainwright going on Sunday with a tie the best they could manage, there is no way I would've pitched Cole. It wasn't worth it.

Then again, Hurdle's management of the pitching staff has been baffling all season. And I generally like him.

Oh and while its nice to dream, the Pirates have exactly 0.00% chance of keeping Martin. They're one of the 2-3 poorest teams in the league, their owner is cheap, and somebody ALWAYS overpays in free agency.

It's probably wise for a small market club like the Pirates not to invest something like 4-5 years and the obscene amount of money (60-70 mill, probably) in a catcher that will be 32 going into Spring Training. Yeah he's great, but there's a hell of a lot more that can go wrong with a catcher than other position players.

But don't make the mistake you did with Burnett - offer Martin the QO.

Holy fuck. That cop's reaction is priceless. I've watched that over and over and I laugh harder each time. That's fucking hilarious.

From our conversation

Phil Rippa 9:36 am

I think the best part of the video
    is that she is like BUT MY SEATS ARE RIGHT THERE

Ed Agner 9:36 am
    yeah

Phil Rippa 9:36 am
    not the part that she might need to leave the dugout

Ed Agner 9:36 am
    and showing the cop the ticket
    like he is a fucking usher

Phil Rippa 9:37 am
    like he is the fucking usher
    HA!

Ed Agner 9:37 am
    HAH

I think the real story there has nothing to do with baseball.  This is between those two and it's a sexting/stalking thing.  He's like "Babe, I told you not to show up at work!  She always fucking does this!  I never should have right swiped you."

Just look at her.  By tomorrow she'll be rooting around in his garbage for some DNA to use to prove he impregnated her.

• Like 1

Yeah, Rippa and I have been in tears all morning over it.

This truly is the greatest thing ever.  The only thing that could POSSIBLY have made it ever more amazing is if Hunter Pence somehow wiped her out while coming back into the dugout.

I think the real story there has nothing to do with baseball.  This is between those two and it's a sexting/stalking thing.  He's like "Babe, I told you not to show up at work!  She always fucking does this!  I never should have right swiped you."

Just look at her.  By tomorrow she'll be rooting around in his garbage for some DNA to use to prove he impregnated her.

And Rippa and I were trying to decide if she was trying to disguise herself as McCutchen or Bobby Bonilla with that #25 jersey.  We decided it was probably probably some guy from the 1960 Pirates.

ez8ax0drpk5oweemcies.gif

Swiped this from Deadspin, look at the kid in the crowd. . . 

I know how basbeball celebrations evolved as series got added, but really have a full on bear bash after winning one freaking game? COme on now. . . 

The worst thing that could happen to me is if this turned out to be a Beltway Series because traffic would blow goats more than it usually does. 

Route 301 would pretty much be the only way in or out of the DMV area.

Update of Dougout Grandma -

PIRATES: DUGOUT WOMAN NOT LOST

ESPN’s cameras recorded a woman in the Giants dugout during the second inning of the Pirates’ 8-0 loss Wednesday.

The video shows the seemingly lost woman talking to a police officer as Hunter Pence walks by after lining out.

Pirates spokesman Brian Warecki said the person in the video was not lost. She was hired as a helper for postseason photographers working the wild-card game.

Warecki said she was serving as a courier during a break and could not clear the field before play resumed. He did not know her name or what organization for whom she held a credential.

So the million dollar question Rippa and I are now pondering - WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HIRE A 700 YEAR OLD WOMAN TO RUN ON AND OFF THE FIELD???  

All sporting victories should be celebrated with beer, especially if someone else is picking up the tab. Win a soccer game? Let's go have beer. Throw a strike at bowling? Time for a beer.

I was under the impression this already happens.

Drinking is the only reason I show up to bowl every week!

I feel bad for the fanbases of the teams who lose the wild-card play in game, that's got to be a total kick in the balls.

I suppose so, but the second wildcard makes baby jesus cry. . . .

• Like 1