DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

NFL fining Marshawn Lynch $50,000 for not talking to reporters after Sunday's game at KC per @Edwerderespn

Fuck that don't they realize that he was busy booking a room at the EBDB B&B*

*   "League" reference if anyone still watches the show 

If someone fined me $50K for not talking...they'd fine me $100K for what I say after the next game. 

• Like 6

The really fucked up thing is that if you use a chop block and try to cripple someone, you get fined about 10k.  So stiffing Peter King and his cronies gets you five times the amount of a potential career end. Give it up for Roger Goodell everybody!

Yeah but aren't fines for stuff like chop blocks, hits to the head, etc are outlined in the agreement with the players association? 

Right, both the NFL and NFLPA agreed to those numbers so blame has to be shared equally between both parties.

People that scream about disparities in punishments need to lay blame at the feet of both parties.  These numbers were all collectively bargained between the NFL and the NFLPA.

That's what I thought.  Game-related fines = locked in by the contract with the NFLPA.  Other fines like beating your kid and not talking to the press aren't in the contract so Goodell gets to make it up as he goes along.

Yeah which is what gets me when people slam Goodell.  He is restrained by the CBA to what he can and cannot do in terms of fines and suspensions.  Where there is a grey area he pushes too far as lawyers are wont to do and Smith does the same on the other side.  Eventually they hash out a middle ground.

It may not make any sense to us as fans but this is what they collectively bargained and both sides need to share blame.

• Like 1

Well, if you are a pro football, you'd have to be a real waste of skin to not understand the moral implications beating on someone several different ways smaller than you.

Scratch that, there's no excuse for domestic and child abuse. Bill Cosby is labelled a rapist suddenly and because no one is making money off him, no one wants shit to deal with him. Why do NFL players get slack?

Tl;dr: people fucking suck.

• Like 1

You know what's crazy?  If he had said that from Day 1 and in the meantime took some parenting classes and apologized, the vast majority of people would have forgiven him by now.  But he took so long to say the obvious thing (I am assuming his lawyers told him not to talk since the case was still pending), now people are still pissed off about it and he will likely be out until next pre-season (but I firmly believe not a day longer than that, Goddell just wants it to go away for this season).

That's what I thought.  Game-related fines = locked in by the contract with the NFLPA.  Other fines like beating your kid and not talking to the press aren't in the contract so Goodell gets to make it up as he goes along.

Yeah which is what gets me when people slam Goodell.  He is restrained by the CBA to what he can and cannot do in terms of fines and suspensions.  Where there is a grey area he pushes too far as lawyers are wont to do and Smith does the same on the other side.  Eventually they hash out a middle ground.

It may not make any sense to us as fans but this is what they collectively bargained and both sides need to share blame.

...You do realize that Goodell isn't a lawyer and never has been, right?  You keep writing with such confidence about how leagues are run by lawyers and lawyers are wont to do but I've just spent the last ten minutes googling to make sure I haven't gone insane and he just seems to be some economics grad who worked his way up from intern.

I usually repeat that every couple weeks because it's important.

Goodell is an NFL lifer. I've heard guys say they remember when he was the guy who gave out press passes at the Super Bowl.

Being a lawyer doesn't guarantee you are the smartest guy in the room, but it does give you valuable skills.

...You do realize that Goodell isn't a lawyer and never has been, right?  You keep writing with such confidence about how leagues are run by lawyers and lawyers are wont to do but I've just spent the last ten minutes googling to make sure I haven't gone insane and he just seems to be some economics grad who worked his way up from intern.

His responses for me come across as someone who sounds a lot like a lawyer.  I used to deal with them a lot in a previous job and everything is proper procedure which is how Goodell acts.  It is like he checks his book, denotes proper procedure, and then speaks.

In terms of lawyers running leagues, Stern, Silver, Tags, Manfred (new MLB commish) and Bettman all graduated from law school so it is not uncommon that a lawyer is running a professional sports league.

I think it has a lot to do with the skillset needed to deal with franchise owners, networks, and the PA.  Lots of negotiation skills and the ability to craft complex legal agreements.

Plus an ability to put up with a massive amount of bs that we cannot comprehend and let it wash off you.

At one point in the 1990s, all four leagues had lawyer commissioners. Must have been before Vincent was fired, unless Bud was a used car salesman with a law degree.

Maybe Giamatti? I know he died in 1989, but I think he was a lawyer. . .

So ....................... Ray Rice won his appeal and has been reinstated.

""I find that the NFLPA carried its burden of showing that Rice did not mislead the Commissioner at the June 16th meeting, and therefore, that the imposition of a second suspension based on the same incident and the same known facts about the incident, was arbitrary," Jones also wrote."

Jones being the arbitrator/judge.