DVDVR Message Board

The Great WWE Stock Crash of 2014

Reed

I always assumed most wrestling fans were college frat boys or comic book geeks. With some kids thrown in.

Holy shit, no. Not even in big cities. The people at ringside you can see on TV have money to afford those seats, and the vast majority are still some rednecky types, but of all races. At least at WWE shows. And Im not bashing, these are the people I like sitting by when I go to live shows. Especially when they want to kill me when I cheer for the bad guys. And I do that not in a dopey smart fan type way, but as someone who is being a kayfabe supporter of evil and cheating. :)

When I look at Ambrose I don't think gym rat and protein shakes. I think guy who shows up at college parties and deals weed to all the Freshmen.

Dude, Ambrose has been getting all WWE jacked for awhile now. It's why he's been sleeveless for awhile. He knows what the score is in the big time and he's "showing off his guns".

Oh and all the wrestlers who've said "I would've given MMA/ UFC a chance instead of wrestling" are just wrestlers clinging to some bit of kayfabe to come off as real life tough fighters.

~Johnny....who answers things from the past of threads. :)

• Like 1

I always assumed most wrestling fans were college frat boys or comic book geeks. With some kids thrown in.

Holy shit, no. Not even in big cities. The people at ringside you can see on TV have money to afford those seats, and the vast majority are still some rednecky types, but of all races. At least at WWE shows. And Im not bashing, these are the people I like sitting by when I go to live shows. Especially when they want to kill me when I cheer for the bad guys. And I do that not in a dopey smart fan type way, but as someone who is being a kayfabe supporter of evil and cheating. :)

So, in a dopey smart fan type way, then?

When I look at Ambrose I don't think gym rat and protein shakes. I think guy who shows up at college parties and deals weed to all the Freshmen.

Dude, Ambrose has been getting all WWE jacked for awhile now. It's why he's been sleeveless for awhile. He knows what the score is in the big time and he's "showing off his guns".

Oh and all the wrestlers who've said "I would've given MMA/ UFC a chance instead of wrestling" are just wrestlers clinging to some bit of kayfabe to come off as real life tough fighters.

~Johnny....who answers things from the past of threads. :)

To be fair, you still think it's 1976.

Are the DVDs actually up on the network, or do they just use the same interview clips patched together as "original programming?"

They run one of their old dvd documentaries each Saturday under a "Beyond the Ring" heading. So far they have been the same ones that were/are available on Netflix.

WWE got a mention in this weeks Barron's via Mario Cibelli, a hedge fund manager who is obviously not of the "value investing" pedigree, although his original boss (and genius) Mario Gabelli is.Cibelli bought at $11 watched it hit $31, and then bought more once it crashed back down to $11 again. He said he expects it to hit $22 again in 2016, and by then the network should have ATLEAST 2M subscribers. That's right, this guy is betting on 2/3 of the entire Raw audience and 2x the highest grossing WrestleMania ever pulled will buy the network. Unfuckingbelievable.

Reading the article, the guy uses Netflix as a model for determining potential network subscribers. I suspect that was the reasoning behind all the bullish analyst reports that came out over the past several months that put a 1Yr price target in the $25-$30 range: they all used Netflix as the basis for their judgments, not realizing the relevant barometer wasn't other online content providers (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc which provide all different genres of content), but rather WWEs own audience numbers. This whole fiasco has done nothing but reaffirm my strong held belief of "only invest in what you know."

You're right but the 2 million number still seems pretty close to impossible even if you include international. Generally speaking, 40% of their ppv buys are international. Even if every single international customer who regularly purchases WWE ppvs purchased the network , you're talking what, 400k-500k max?

I'm talking more PPV DVD sales (after seeing a commercial on NXT for the WMXXX DVD), although knowing that the docs will be up on Beyond the Ring eventually would probably put a damper on sales as well.

PPV DVDs outside of Mania don't sell worth a damn.

Probably the best online streaming service to compare the WWE Network to would be Crunchyroll. Both are targeted toward a niche audience, wrestling and anime, and both are mostly offering convenient and legal access to already easily accessible material. Course it wouldn't be nearly as sexy to compare the WWE Network to Crunchyroll as it would be to compare it to Netflix or Hulu.

But while the WWE Network and Crunchyroll are operating with two completely different size audiences, I would imagine Crunchyroll probably had an advantage in that their audience is probably more tech savvy than a lot of the WWE audience. I think at this point the biggest thing the WWE could do would devote time to educating their audience about how to get the Network.

• Like 1

They should be showing commercials of families sitting in front of their 55" HDTV and watching WrestleMania, etc..   It's cool to have this available on all platforms but they really need to reiterate that yes you can watch this just as you watch television. Having JBL and Lawler scroll through shit on their iPad isn't sexy enough imo

• Like 2

Probably the best online streaming service to compare the WWE Network to would be Crunchyroll. Both are targeted toward a niche audience, wrestling and anime, and both are mostly offering convenient and legal access to already easily accessible material. Course it wouldn't be nearly as sexy to compare the WWE Network to Crunchyroll as it would be to compare it to Netflix or Hulu.

But while the WWE Network and Crunchyroll are operating with two completely different size audiences, I would imagine Crunchyroll probably had an advantage in that their audience is probably more tech savvy than a lot of the WWE audience. I think at this point the biggest thing the WWE could do would devote time to educating their audience about how to get the Network.

Jesus fuck no. All those inane commercials with the Bellas as stewardesses were plenty.

• Like 1

I do think that sadly there is a huge subset of the audience who is confused with how the wwe network works.

After Mania I was talking to a woman I encounter in my work related travels from time to time. She is not someone of means or particularly bright. I asked her whether she got the network and got mania. She explained that she didn't buy the ppv because she couldn't afford it and didn't buy the network because she didn't understand how it worked. Instead, she preordered a DVD of the ppv off amazon for twenty dollars and change. That gives you a glimpse of what wwe is working with.

It will be interesting what the DVD numbers are for mania. Presumably, each of those fans are fans who should be gimmes for a network subscription but are not for some reason.

Also, how many of the 600-700,00 current subscribers are outside the US and getting the Network already?

So, when they expand to Canada and the UK, how many of those people they are expecting to subscribe wont, becasue they already have one?

My background includes Linux server administration and Windows Exchange server administration. From my experience, I have learned two things:

1. If there is a way to fuck it up or make something more difficult than it needs to be- people will do it in a heartbeat.

2. People DO NOT READ.

Back when I was doing phone support, I would explain certain concepts to some people until the cows came home and it just never registered with them. What did I do to resolve this? I would email  detailed instructions, minus the jargon, on how to accomplish the set objective(s). Making documents with screenshots is also very helpful, as is video. WWE should honestly look into tutorials and make it an easily accessible feature on the landing page of their website. Again, people do not read and that is one of the most challenging things that people like myself have to deal with on a daily basis. WWE taking time on Raw/Smackdown/PPV to 'show' people how easy it is- comes off as a bathroom break.

WWE should also have these instructions listed in the programs they sell at live events. An exclusive PPV poster should come with every DVD sold, and on the back of that poster should be the WWE Network installation/access instructions. Seriously, this isn't going to solve the problem, but WWE should endeavor to ensure that all the literature is easily accessible. When The Network becomes available in Europe, WWE should have a booth at all live events that not only signs people up, but provides live tutorials on every platform The Network is supported. Hell, make it an attraction and get some of those Divas who are not doing anything to serve as eye candy during the presentations.

• Like 2