DVDVR Message Board

Show didn't blow me out of the water, but they planted a lot of fun seeds and it's got a lot of room to grow. 

Bingo. 

I am not a total Whedon mark or anything, but the show had the hallmarks of his style.  And while I am sure he will not have his hand in every detail of the show, I am sure Whedon is going to make sure it follows his vision for the Marvel Universe, and that he wouldn't have had any involvement in this show (and Avengers 2) if Marvel didn't like his vision.

The pilot was what it was - a fun hour that introduced all the major players, and planted seeds.  No, Marvel isn't going to have Dr. Doom or whomever on as the "big bad", but there are a ton of great possibilities for minor (very minor) floaters in the Marvel Universe showing up and getting a run. 

I like the idea of a show as extremely high on Disney's priority list as it is would need a 'save SHIELD' petition after three weeks because you guys don't like Handsome White Sniper.

Sorry, I thought it was fairly clear I was being facetious, given Whedon's recent tv history with Firefly and Dollhouse lasting a combined 40ish episodes.

I like the idea of a show as extremely high on Disney's priority list as it is would need a 'save SHIELD' petition after three weeks because you guys don't like Handsome White Sniper.

Sorry, I thought it was fairly clear I was being facetious, given Whedon's recent tv history with Firefly and Dollhouse lasting a combined 40ish episodes.

That was preAvengers Whedon. This is post billion dollar movie New 52 Whedon, now with more pouches and guns!

And sorry on my part, sometimes sarcasm and legit nerd meh get pretty muddled around these parts. Also I really didn't like Handsome White Sniper, either.

So what are these fun seeds?  May's character seems like she has potential, and there's the eventual "Coulson finds out he actually died" thing -- that should be nice.  And I guess Black Centipede might come back, which would be good.

That was all I got.  What did I miss?  The evil centipede doctor (young, white, brunette, attractive, who'd have guessed?) didn't really intrigue me at this point

I don't mean to come down too harsh on the show.  I feel like there's a good chance I'll be won over by the end of the season.  Heck, maybe by episode 2.  But you put too many hypercompetent knowitall 22 year old beautiful white brunettes in one cast and it can be a bit much.

• Like 1

So what are these fun seeds? May's character seems like she has potential, and there's the eventual "Coulson finds out he actually died" thing -- that should be nice. And I guess Black Centipede might come back, which would be good.That was all I got. What did I miss? The evil centipede doctor (young, white, brunette, attractive, who'd have guessed?) didn't really intrigue me at this point

When Coulson recruited Handsome White Sniper, he was looking through his dossier and remarked something along the lines of he's surprised his people skills aren't worse "considering your family history."Dushku-esque hacker chick told Gunn, er, Mike that she had "erased an entire identity before." likely meaning her own. Then who is she really? I've seen people speculate she may turn out to be Jessica Drew.Honestly, I don't quite get what people expected from 42 minutes of TV. Sheesh, now I see why networks are so quick shitcan shows. They really do need to do something about those tech geeks tho. They were the worst.
  • Like 1

Watched the first episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Friday night UK time fittingly called Pilot. I liked it, thought it was a good debut for the most part introducing you to the team. The highlight of the show was Clark Gregg’s return as Agent Phil Coulson. Intrigued to see how the show goes and an explanation for how Coulson returned from events in Avengers Assemble hinted at in this episode.

So what are these fun seeds? 

Was that it for August Richards on the show? 

The reason I ask is because I got the impression that the team on this show will follow a mission similar to that of the original "X-Factor" in the comics - they will find folks with "super powers" and try to get them to join up with SHIELD, rather than breaking bad.  I figure that many plots will focus on hunting down these super powered folk, and either trying to convince them to join up, or fighting them. Or... hunting/fighting the bad guys trying to turn the powered folks to the darkside. 

I got the distinct impression that Richards was the first guy they have found, and have a chance of turning to their side. 

Not sure if this has been posted here before, looks like it came out last year, but i don't remember seeing it.

Its a 10min Punisher short with the guy who played him in the 2004 movie and Ron Perlman, thought i'd stick it up since hes a favorite around here.

• Like 1

So, yeah, I'm now torn between Malinda May and Skye for favorite character.

And, god damn that end was awesome. 

And the episode was a whole lot better.  Got some character out of the way, plunged right into a story.  I do think they need to back off a bit on having references to the movies all the time though. 

Much stronger episode. I love the idea of Hydra stuff being strewn throughout South America because that's where the Nazis hid after the war.

Fitz and Simmons are starting to grate on me...It's almost like they're not weird enough to be fun? Like, I kind of want some Charlie Day in PacRim happening in there.

I didn't notice until now that Rugged McLonerDude (I'll remember his name when he has a character beyond that)'s weapon in Peru was the same weapon Simon used in Serenity when rescuing River.

I think this season is going to be a fun set up. Everyone gets together, gels, becomes a team. It's the first season, so no one's gonna die. We're gonna find out Ming-Na probably had a hand in training Widow, Coulson will be revealed as a LMD (as if we don't see that coming, Tahiti, you magical place) and I think to keep interest we'll see other heroes show up in cameos or constantly referenced, but the only bankable appearance will be Fury, because Jackson is just cool like that and is probably their first season's cameo budget. Once we get through this season, next year will be a running ramp up to Avengers 2, maybe with one or two A-List cameos (I'm betting Ruffalo and/or Downey) and someone will get capped towards the season finale, only to cameo as a fellow LMD or referenced in Avengers 2. But that's just my thought.