DVDVR Message Board

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will debut in the UK on Channel 4 at 8pm on September 27th. It will air at the same time in the states on the 24th. Credit: comicbookmovie.com

This written by Josh Whedon?
The pilot is. After that, I doubt he has much to do with it since he'll be busy with the next Avengers movie. Showrunning duties are getting passed off to his presumably less talented brother and sister-in-law.

So Vin Diesel revealed in a Maria Menounos interview that he's talking about playing another Marvel character for a 2016 movie on top of playing Groot.  The Groot thing came about because he wanted to please fans who wanted to see him in something soon.

He talked about "merging of brands" which I'm not sure if that means a crossover with Guardians or I dunno maybe the return of Fantastic Four?  The Fantastic Four reboot at Fox looks like it is still moving slowly.  Maybe Diesel wants to play Silver Surfer.

I'm sure it was mid credits when i watched in the cinema but its been several years so i could be remembering it wrong. Nowadays every film seems to have a post credit scene so we wait for em but back then i'm sure we had already got out of our seats as it started, so i don't think it was at the very end.

Something i wondered, was it always the intent to include The Incredible Hulk film into the Marvel series? It just looks and feels so different to the rest or was it before they had settled on a style?

It is definitely in the main film, right before the "Bruce can control the Hulk-Out" scene, on the dvd/blu-ray.  It's the only Marvel Studios film I didn't see in the theater, though.

I think it's fairly obvious at the time that the idea for The Avengers was going to be "group of heroes put together to stop the Hulk."

Something i wondered, was it always the intent to include The Incredible Hulk film into the Marvel series? It just looks and feels so different to the rest or was it before they had settled on a style?

It was always part of the Avengers universe, but you are correct in detecting that it feels "off" from the rest of those movies. Despite having a markedly sunnier disposition than Ang Lee's film, INCREDIBLE HULK is still much, much darker than the "house style" that Marvel developed in subsequent movies. In particular, the Abomination's rampage through the city feels way more dangerous and violent than even the alien invasion in AVENGERS. And there's no fucking way the Marvel of 2013 would allow the Hulk to strangle Abomination to death.

It's been a while since I've seen it, so you might be right. But there's definitely a scene where he viciously strangles him, into at least unconsciousness, with a chain. It was pretty shocking to see that in a movie aimed at kids at the time, and I definitely couldn't see Marvel doing that now.

So Vin Diesel revealed in a Maria Menounos interview that he's talking about playing another Marvel character for a 2016 movie on top of playing Groot.  The Groot thing came about because he wanted to please fans who wanted to see him in something soon.

Ha! He wanted to please fans?  Sounds to me like this is Vin Diesel lobbying hard for some more of that mighty Marvel money. 

The Abomination is definitely still alive in the Marvel Cinematic U now, although that could be a retcon.  In the The Consultant short film, they talked about the World Security Council wanting SHIELD to add The Abomination to the team, instead of the Hulk, retconning in why they sent Tony to talk to General Ross (because he would annoy Ross so much that the general would tell him to fuck off, and they wouldn't get the Abomination.)

It's not a retcon at all.  Betty talked the Hulk down from finishing the job with Abomination.

The Tony Stark scene was a mid-credits scene when it was released in theaters for The Incredible Hulk.

TV spots did spoil the cameo though after Iron Man hit it big.

Thanks for the answers to my question about the Tony Stark scene in The Incredible Hulk.

Brian mentioning the Marvel One-Shot, The Consultant reminds me to talk about them. I watched Agent Carter thanks to Bald Bombshell's post here, it's the fourth Marvel One-Shot but first I ever watched as I don't own a Blu-ray player. Agent Carter features Peggy Carter a year after Captain America: The First Avenger having to deal with sexist colleagues/colleagues not as good as her as she’s in search for Zodiac. This was a great film.

I went on to watch watch the remaining three. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer has S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson stopping for petrol at a petrol station and to get a snack at the station before an armed robbery starts. This was also a great film. I enjoyed Agent Carter and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer more than Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk. The Consultant has S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Coulson and Jasper Sitwell discussing the problem that the World Security Council wants the Abomination released to join The Avengers and how to stop that happening. This was very good. Item 47 has a couple becoming bank robbers after managing to work a Chitauri gun. S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Sitwell is assigned to recover it. I liked Item 47 but it was definitely my least favourite one.