DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

Man its pretty simple. Punk isn't just punk, he stands for the new guard, younger guys. They are chanting, in part, "fresh, fresh". Same reason the usos were over last night. They wanna see young guys get pushed. Who cares if punk is a nice guy or selfish or not. Have to be selfish to go to the top as a performer. Lots of bad people make good art.

Punk has been in the company for 8 years now. He's not the new guard at all. He's DEFINITELY not fresh.

The new guard = not-Cena/Orton/Batista/HHH in the same way that the TNA new guard = never been in WWE.

Pretty good show, the crowd wasn't nearly as much of a factor as hyped which was probably for the best.

Live reports are strongly suggesting they basically had the crowd turned all the way down most of the show -- one report said they literally couldn't hear a word HHH or Stephanie said during their promo.
The phrase "best for business" comes to mind.

Punk's WWE run has been longer than Angle, Austin, Rock amongst others.

Look, you're being absurdly pedantic in your attempt to get your kicks by shooting down why people, who by and large aren't even on this message board, have an emotional reaction towards something. If you're smart enough to come up with all of these reasons for why people are wrong or stupid or hypocritical to have the reactions, then you should at least be able to understand why they do and how it's ultimately emotional and therefore, not particularly useful to argue against, especially in a place that they aren't actually inhabiting. 

There are only so many pixels in the world and by putting these letters together on a screen you are using up enough of them for no good reason. Please stop for the sake of the great-great grandchildren that I'm not entirely sure that you're going to manage to have if you keep up this ridiculous smarmier-than-thou attitude.

• Like 3

Look, you're being absurdly pedantic in your attempt to get your kicks by shooting down why people, who by and large aren't even on this message board, have an emotional reaction towards something. If you're smart enough to come up with all of these reasons for why people are wrong or stupid or hypocritical to have the reactions, then you should at least be able to understand why they do and how it's ultimately emotional and therefore, not particularly useful to argue against, especially in a place that they aren't actually inhabiting. 

You can't debate them, you can only troll them.

It's the internet. You cant win the internet. Not without finding a way to monetize hits or something and this sure isn't it. You can't win the DVDVR message board unless you're RIPPA and can post once notes are closed or something.

Quality heel work from Road Dogg in cutting off the introduction, and the Outlaws put the Usos over clean as a sheet in front of a hot crowd - that's why they were brought back. Now the Usos are more over, and all the whining about the Outlaws was over a little month-long title reign. It was a great idea to bring them back in.

Big E came off pretty badly, especially by just disappearing after the second match, but they haven't really booked him to look strong since he won the title. I expect him to lose it soon.

"THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT HASHTAG YES MOVEMENT!!!!"

• Like 2

There are only so many pixels in the world and by putting these letters together on a screen you are using up enough of them for no good reason. Please stop for the sake of the great-great grandchildren that I'm not entirely sure that you're going to manage to have if you keep up this ridiculous smarmier-than-thou attitude.

Actually that was an observation rather than any sort of serious (or otherwise) point. The longevity of top guys these days is why the show can seem stale.

But: tell me how shitting on Christian and Sheamus is a good thing dude. You were fairly lenient towards this hijack gimmick before the show started.

FWIW, I enjoyed the Sheamus-Christian match (and I am not a Sheamus guy) but I think Christian attacking him backstage should have happened maybe last week on Raw or SD. It's strange-- that simple little angle kind of made me give more of a shit about the match, but in retrospect. I'd assume they fight at WM, maybe in a multi-man with del Rio or Show and some other poor, lost souls?

Also, another detail that's sort of been lost amongst all the Bryan and Punk talk-- when the Real Americans break-up, you guys think Zeb will stay with Swagger or go with Cesaro? I think Swagger probably needs him more, but I'd be crushed if Cesaro had a lower ceiling because of his accent or something silly like that.

Man its pretty simple. Punk isn't just punk, he stands for the new guard, younger guys. They are chanting, in part, "fresh, fresh". Same reason the usos were over last night. They wanna see young guys get pushed. Who cares if punk is a nice guy or selfish or not. Have to be selfish to go to the top as a performer. Lots of bad people make good art.

Well then maybe they should contact Punk and ask HIM why HE quit. Ask him why he hasn't been on Twitter or bothered to send out a tweet that "hey guys, I'm gone, don't expect me there"

No, it's somehow WWE's fault. I'm not saying people here are acting this way.. but things like the Chicago RAW Twitter were strange to say the least.

I'm just glad it's over. Punk will return when he's ready.

It's the internet. You cant win the internet. Not without finding a way to monetize hits or something and this sure isn't it. You can't win the DVDVR message board unless you're RIPPA and can post once notes are closed or something.

Arguing on the internet is like playing Strategema against Sirna Kolrami: playing for a stalemate until the other party forfeits out of frustration is a good strategy for busting someone up.

• Like 1

Not to add fuel to this awful fire, but I feel like the issue with the crowd lately isn't chanting a name or being overly vocal, it's that they have seemingly made up their minds about everything. For whatever reason, Christian and Sheamus aren't the cool kids. They are no where near a title, they are in a feud based around mutual dislike, and they are having quality matches. This is ostensibly what people would say the show has been missing for 15 years: a solid mid card. Despite this, no matter what they do or how good a match they put forth, the matches they put on are doomed to fail in the eyes of most of the audience. It was the same last month with the Titus/Young stuff. I was overjoyed to get a PPV match that was simply for bragging rights with nothing else attached, and it was worked about as well as you could hope for from those two. Again, it seemed like the crowd was bored before they even started.

I don't doubt that the Orton/Batista match will in all likelihood be an atrocity, but I'd like to think that I at least have the ability to go in with an open mind and allow two guys who have previous done good work a chance to put on a good show. I don't think they will get that from the live crowd, no matter what sort of match they are able to work.

• Like 3

I'm hoping that Punk is doing some DDP Yoga while he's at home.

If he's as beat up as we're led to believe, I don't even know if he could handle a Diamond Dozen at this point.

Also, your signature is fucking great.

Thanks man. DylanWaco is owed idea credit.

Not to add fuel to this awful fire, but I feel like the issue with the crowd lately isn't chanting a name or being overly vocal, it's that they have seemingly made up their minds about everything. For whatever reason, Christian and Sheamus aren't the cool kids. They are no where near a title, they are in a feud based around mutual dislike, and they are having quality matches. This is ostensibly what people would say the show has been missing for 15 years: a solid mid card. Despite this, no matter what they do or how good a match they put forth, the matches they put on are doomed to fail in the eyes of most of the audience. It was the same last month with the Titus/Young stuff. I was overjoyed to get a PPV match that was simply for bragging rights with nothing else attached, and it was worked about as well as you could hope for from those two. Again, it seemed like the crowd was bored before they even started.

I don't doubt that the Orton/Batista match will in all likelihood be an atrocity, but I'd like to think that I at least have the ability to go in with an open mind and allow two guys who have previous done good work a chance to put on a good show. I don't think they will get that from the live crowd, no matter what sort of match they are able to work.

This right here.  

I remember reading on here just last week about how at least back in the Attitude era everyone had a character or storyline.  I think they've done a good job establishing why Christian and Sheamus are fighting.  

Christian came back from injury and he's "desperate" according to Cole.  Sheamus Brogue-kicked him on a Smackdown costing them a tag match.  Christian pinned him at Elimination Chamber which made Sheamus angry.  They wrestled each other the next night on Raw and Sheamus won.  Christian's butt-hurt so he attacked Sheamus on last week's Smackdown while Sheamus was wrestling Del Rio.  That's why they wrestled again last night.

Pretty simple A-B-C booking.  

• Like 1

Here are some Christian/Sheamus points:

1) The set-up to their feud -- "You caused me to lose!" -- isn't that different from The Wyatts vs. The Shield. The Wyatts attacked Cena, leading to The Shield's DQ and then wanting revenge. Then they spent a few weeks just teasing going at each other with those great showdowns. Christian vs. Sheamus is essentially the same exact thing.

2) It's not a "new guy vs. young guy" thing. Mark Henry is still over as anything and he loses. Henry's probably had a lot more defeats/getting tossed around moments this year than Sheamus ever has.

3) It's because they are what they are. I don't want to see Christian or Sheamus because they don't make me care. It isn't the writers or what have you -- there are plenty of guys I am emotionally invested in, and the same writers/creative/boogeyman is running the show for those characters, too. They're good in-ring wrestlers. They've gotten some time to explain their characters and motivations for this feud. They're just not good at it.

Christian jumped Sheamus last night during a promo. That's fine. But was Sheamus saying anything worth hearing during his post-match promo? Nope. He's just reading whatever lines he has without any conviction or belief. When Christian attacked Sheamus, did anything stand out? He just tackled the guy and punched him until he got pulled off. There wasn't anything interesting about it.

Now compare that stuff to Lesnar and The Shield and The Wyatts and pretty much every thing else getting any shred of time. Even in terms of the more undercard build to WM, Cesaro and Swagger's more interesting, largely because Zeb friggin' rules and Cesaro's been putting together constantly amazing matches when given the chance, as opposed to Sheamus and Christian having very good affairs that aren't anything spectacular. Cesaro also has one of the best signature spots in The Giant Swing whereas Sheamus' 10-forearm thing is stupid. 

They don't have that extra thing that a lot of other guys on the roster do. There's nothing wrong with that. They're both good (great, even) in-ring guys. But they need more than that and they don't.

Actually that was an observation rather than any sort of serious (or otherwise) point. The longevity of top guys these days is why the show can seem stale.

But: tell me how shitting on Christian and Sheamus is a good thing dude. You were fairly lenient towards this hijack gimmick before the show started.

Was the show last night boring? Frankly, I don't care about the crowd one way or another. The interesting thing is WWE's response. This is basically what I said elsewhere:

"<people are complaining>... about viewers being excited about watching the hostile crowd, but it's one of the few things in the world that can force WWE to be creative and come out firing on all cylinders in a single-company world. That's the joy of it, not just the derailing but to see what the hell WWE, which is generally formulaic as anything, does in response."

That crowd prompted WWE to do something that they wouldn't have done otherwise. It didn't force them to change any of their longterm plans. It didn't derail anything. It did make the show hugely interesting for one night on the Road to Wrestlemania. Did they shit on the Sheamus/Christian match unfairly? Yes. Do I think they jerks for that? Sure. Was WWE stupid to toss that out there to die? Absolutely. Christian's a pro. He can handle it. Sheamus is one of the top merchandised guy in the company. He can handle it. I feel a lot worse for him for losing out on the match vs Bryan, which he should have never been in in the first place. Am I glad last night happened? Absolutely. It was a god damn blast and it would have never happened without the crowd. Were they in the right? Who the hell cares. They were human. They care, and since they care, WWE was able to play with their emotions and channel them into something. It's endlessly better that they care, even about the guy not there, than that they sit on their hands like some of those other crowds. 
  • Like 4

I guess my problem is that the Wyatt's bore me, The Shield annoy me and yet those guys get to do what they want because they have indy cred and two guys I like get booed because they don't.

I think the problem is you have poor taste.

• Like 10