DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

Take heart in the fact that everyone who comes in now is going to come in through NXT and a lot of their worst in-ring tendencies will be beaten out of them while they learn how to portray a character the WWE way. Take heart in the fact that WWE's finally found a way to process and homogenize the "indy scene" to create something far better than the sum of its parts. It's not about selling out anymore, it's about buying in to the system and letting it make you into something better than you've ever been. The future is bright and none of the no-sell loving, fighting spirit snuffing action junkies see it coming.

• Like 2

I guess my problem is that the Wyatt's bore me, The Shield annoy me and yet those guys get to do what they want because they have indy cred and two guys I like get booed because they don't.

You don't really believe that the writers and booker man is thinking that way? 

"Guys, we really shouldn't be giving the Wyatt's and Shield this much freedom to do their own promos and have wildly exciting matches, but I'm just too terrified of their indy cred to give them any notes."

Outside of the Heyman promo where he masterfully segued into Lesnar/Undertaker everything else on the show was probably going to happen anywhere else in the states.

The Shield and Wyatts were going to have a rematch off their great match at Elimination Chamber. Outlaws/Usos have been feuding for weeks. Fandango/Summer/Emma/Santino, same thing. Christian/Sheamus, same thing. A Cena promo with the Wyatts. Daniel Bryan and HHH build to close the show.

It was a great RAW but I'm not seeing the raucous crowd link outside of the opening promo. The fans did not impact the booking at all.

That crowd was super hot for Punk to save the day at the end. The Usos title change was absolutely planned for Chicago. They probably pushed it back from Elimination Chamber knowing what was coming.

That was not a normal Raw.

Take heart in the fact that everyone who comes in now is going to come in through NXT and a lot of their worst in-ring tendencies will be beaten out of them while they learn how to portray a character the WWE way. Take heart in the fact that WWE's finally found a way to process and homogenize the "indy scene" to create something far better than the sum of its parts. It's not about selling out anymore, it's about buying in to the system and letting it make you into something better than you've ever been. The future is bright and none of the no-sell loving, fighting spirit snuffing action junkies see it coming.

I'd much rather watch Tyler Breeze and Aiden English than Sheamus and Christian. I know those wouldn't be able to put up a match as technically good as the vets but it'd be a lot more fun.

I think one of the reasons Sheamus gets crapped on by THOSE crowds is that he's considered a "HHH guy" like Batista. Some of the crowd knows he got pushed to the top of the card in part due to a backstage friendship, and others probably just react to the idea that he's got the musclebound meathead look that the WWE traditionally goes for over the Punks and Bryans. Coupled with the fact that he's shown no character growth in a couple of years at least, and all the good in-ring performances in the world aren't enough to save him from the smark wrath.

• Like 1

It's not like  both guys didn't have a lot of time over the last few years to make me assume they have something interesting up their sleeves either as characters or in match layout. 

They both had loooooooooooooong feuds in the upper midcard with Del Rio, another guy I keep getting told is a great worker and who bores me to death.  But they were given skits and promo time and long matches to do something to get me interested.  It's based on how boring they both were in those feuds that I don't want to watch them together.

and the fact that Sheamus managed to bore me even when feuding with guys I find entertaining...Henry, Sandow, Show.  Now, he was a stupid bland babyface in all those, so maybe that's the problem.  Heels are more fun.

But Christian is boring even as a heel.

I don't enjoy Sheamus. He's good at clubbering, but he's totally uninteresting and couldn't cut a decent promo to save his life.

Christian is cool, though.

If FSW thinks that people like The Shield because of their indy cred at this board, of all places, he's either trolling or he's--no, wait, he's probably trolling us a bit. But he speaks sense like 90% of the time and the other 10% is pretty entertaining anyway. 

I don't enjoy Sheamus. He's good at clubbering, but he's totally uninteresting and couldn't cut a decent promo to save his life.

Christian is cool, though.

If FSW thinks that people like The Shield because of their indy cred at this board, of all places, he's either trolling or he's--no, wait, he's probably trolling us a bit. But he speaks sense like 90% of the time and the other 10% is pretty entertaining anyway. 

DON'T FALL UNDER HIS SPELL!  The "indy cred" comment should weigh him down like an Albamatross or whatever that thing from that Iron Maiden song was!!!!!

The fans don't love the Shield and Wyatts because of "Indy cred" at all. Considering that 99 percent of the crowd don't even know anything about Rollins, Ambrose, and Harper being big in the Indys and Wyatt, Rowan, and Reigns are pretty much pure WWE bred guys, (Rowan had a brief Indy career but never in Indy anyone was aware of), it's because they're new, engaging, have great gimmicks, and work hard.

• Like 2

God damn, that Christian Vs. Del Rio match from Summerslam was fucking awesome, and you people suck.

One of the best matches from WWE's awesome 2013. Liked Christian for a long time beginning with Edge and Christian plus from his WWE ECW tenure in 2009.

I've liked Sheamus since 2012. The happy go lucky character was tiring at times but he always delivered in the ring. His 2/3 Falls match with Daniel Bryan at Extreme Rules 2012 was terrific.

No I mean that crowd on that night gave The Shield and the Wyatt's a pass they didn't give Christian and Sheamus

Dude, you are missing the point. Christian and Sheamus should not have been paired up on this night. As Johnny Srrow said, the Shield and Wyatts got a pass because "they're new, engaging, have great gimmicks, and work hard". Christian and Sheamus only have that last part down.

It sucks that the crowd looks at Sheamus as the guy who was shoved down our throat before he was ready and Christian as the guy who has hung around for the last 15 years. You throw on Christian vs. Ziggler or maybe Sheamus vs. Ziggler or something and they don't get shit on.

This is more about your anti-Punk / anti-Chicago gimmick than it is about the actual crowd. 

• Like 2

Christian is one of the best babyfaces in WWE history and probably my favorite babyface ace in the company's history second maybe to Bret from 92-95. They really squandered him though. I don't think he's ever really recovered from the misguided '11 heel turn and he's been out with injuries more often than not since then. It's really destroyed any chance he has of building momentum. There's no one in the company better at switching his moves around to different effect in different matches and building one match to the next. I really do think he should ride out the rest of his time in a tag team. If they want to use him as a heel then I want a four month Sandow/Christian vs Brotherhood feud or something.

Sheamus is perfectly fine too. Sheamus vs Ryback is probably a top 5 "fun" match for the year so far.

But this was the wrong match for the wrong night and WWE should have known better. edit: What Will said, yes.

I'm sure Nigel's heart wept a little bit when Ambrose used his Jawbreaker Lariat...

Kyle O'Reilly's been using it at indy shows. I think it's just open-domain now.

@McGuinnessNigel: Lovely text from @TheDeanAmbrose about something he did tonight. But partial credit must go to Les Kellet. Who I doubt is on twitter :)

• Like 1

Even if I'm indifferent toward certain people, I can acknowledge when they have good matches.  I liked Sheamus-Christian on Monday(as well as their other recent matches).  I also liked Christian-Del Rio at 'Slam; it was just overshadowed by Lesnar-Punk and Bryan-Cena.

My theory is that FSW's ego expanded to the point that it crashed the board.  Punk-related emotions make him stronger, much like the slime in Ghostbusters 2.

It's certainly popular with the people, my like ratio has increased significantly.

But my point is that good wrestling is good wrestling and I don't understand why a crowd that was mad at WWE for Punk leaving would shit on two perfectly talented guys working a decent match. You can say its because they're boring but aren't you supposed to appreciate good wrestling in a vacuum?

It was a shit thing to do. Especially since both guys have been good for a long time.