DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

There's a place on the show for guys like Christian and Sheamus. Wrestling each other isn't it. They could be a tag team chasing (and losing to) The Usos. Or Christian can have a mini-feud with someone like Seth Rollins. Sheamus can have a good thing with Cesaro or Big E. They should be used to have good matches with young dudes. They hit their ceilings and there's nothing wrong with that. They should enter the Kofi Kingston division.

Maybe we could split duties, because Christian is a guy I think very highly of, a real utilityman that you can plug in almost anywhere and have him put out quality work, but Sheamus I find to be a bland piece of dry toast, someone who can soak up something good but really adds little on his own, and somehow DVDVR has inexplicably elevated his ring work (the essence of mediocrity) to "Sheamus the superworker" status.

What if I like them as in-ring hands but think they're better served helping dudes get over? Not sure where that puts me.

Life support.

Of course, Christian has been permanently in my top 5 since around 2000.

The Christian/Sheamus match wasn't terrible, but was about 5 minutes longer than it needed to be.  Thinking it wouldn't have gotten crapped on in any other market is a bit delusional.  The chants it got might have been different, but the reaction would have been similar.  Sheamus was getting a lot better during his feud with Big Show, but went nowhere since then.  He's at his best when he can work really physically with someone else, which is why putting him in a program with Cesaro would do well, imo.  The only time Christian did anything for me was when he was teaming with Edge, though I agree he's a good hand at putting others over.

I can't remember the last time there was as much speculation and judgement without actual facts of a situation as there has been with the current Punk ordeal.  There really is no win-win situation with the whole Punk deal.  A majority of the people chanting for him probably have no knowledge of all the rumors floating around and are just doing it because they miss him on screen, and probably think it's part of an angle dealing with the authority and company holding him down.  If the WWE puts out a notice saying he's done, the same people are probably just going to think it's an angle, ditto if he tweets something about having quit.  I'm going to try and withhold judgement till he actually makes an official statement on the matter.  He's been mailing it in for a while, especially at the rumble, and I just don't see someone with that sort of attitude towards their job demanding a top spot and the increased workload that goes along with it.  Maybe hearing that a part-timer who hasn't wrestled in years would be winning the rumble and having the top spot at mania for the second year in a row finally pushed him away, maybe he was asking for time off and didn't get it, who knows.

If he is coming back, I could see an ECW type dog and pony show in the Bryan/HHH match, maybe Kane chokeslams Bryan and he kicks out, followed by Punk running out, taking out Kane, GTSing HHH, only for him to kick out and the match keep going till Bryan pulls out the win.

That's the problem with the direction of Batista. Even if they stumbled upon a great heel character, it still looks like he can barely move. It's not an accident that Bryan took out his legs in the beginning of last night's match.

There's a lot to like about Sheamus. However, he just comes off as the type of guy who has taken every ounce of advice corporate has given him. It explains where he is on the card and how he is perceived by the smarks. He has like five signature spots that should be finishers, half of which don't fit his character (White Noise...White Noise!!) and yells his signature phrase, Fella like a trained monkey.  

Christian blurting out One More Match like a moron at inopportune times both annoys me and cracks me up... so I'm ok with it.

I've really liked the Sheamus-Christian series, personally, and I'm usually not a big Sheamus fan.

I don't think Bryan is being "buried" as he's won fairly consistently in the past year.  It bugged me when he was moved out of the title picture in favor of Big Show and it bugged me when he was stuck in the Wyatt Family.  Now he's in the title picture and the Daniel Wyatt experiment was thankfully aborted after two weeks of dead crowds.  I don't mind him facing Triple H at Mania(though it means I don't care too much about the title match)...but I'll believe he's winning when it actually happens and no sooner.  I had trouble believing he was beating Cena at SummerSlam until it actually happened, too.

Wasn't Sheamus in a match with Orton that got buried by the crowd pretty hard last time there was a show "hijacking"? Might've been the night after Wrestlemania?

Whatever his merits as a worker, I just don't think people are interested in face Sheamus wrestling long-ish matches with rote storylines.

• Like 1

I really feel like this needs to be spelled out for Punk fans...

CM Punk is a selfish, holier-than-thou, giant asshole. Seriously. He always has been, probably always will be. Ask 95% of the people who actually know him. He happens to be pretty damn good (sometimes even great) at his craft, but he is still a selfish, holier than thou, giant asshole. Not taking away anything he does from an entertainment perspective - I've enjoyed many Punk matches and moments over the years. 

LOL.  This nonsense is getting out of hand.   The crowd was great all night.

But it's important to differentiate between the real man and the guy you see on TV. \

1. What does that even mean?  So like, I shouldn't want to see Punk on TV because he is a dick in real life or something?

2, Why is that important?  If Batista gave all his money to charity should I care more about his match with Orton? Boo less?

Some of you all are just way too invested. 

1. No, that is actually the exact opposite of what I meant. You can enjoy Punk as a TV performer, as I do, but you also have to understand that he is a dick. And because he is a dick, he will make choices that will effect your ability to see him do what you want to see him doing. His choices, nobody elses.

2. Don't know what Batista and charity has to do with anything. My point was, don't get mad at the promotion because a guy is a douchebag in real life. The WWE is delivering a lot of really awesome stuff right now, so the idiots who are still obsessed with Punk need to move on.

Here's my understanding of all this:

Fans who were not promised that their hometown kid would show up, and he certainly wasn't advertised to, are angry because the hometown kid did not show up (which is okay, as he wasn't advertised to)?

The sheep bleat that, supposedly, according to non-kayfabe news sources, the hometown kid was seen in Chicago on the same night as Raw in Chicago. Since he's the "hometown kid," it stands to reason he'd be in his hometown.

Same fans, operating under possible shoot "news," overlook other "shoot" world facts that said hometown kid walked off his job. If I left off my job right now, I'd lose said job.

Said fans, because the hometown kid quit his job, get pissed, so they pay money to go to the hometown kid's workplace and figuratively shit on everything the company tries to do, on account that the hometown kid - of his own volition - quit and was not advertised to show up and therefore didn't?

I say this w/o irony or hyperbole intended: If WWE *does* hate the fans, I think it makes sense to me why that could be true.

• Like 1

Regardless of what some here think of Punk and regardless of what he thinks of his own fans, it's pretty cool as a pro wrestling fan to see how in love with him Chicago actually is. The "home field advantage" he gets in Chicago is pretty much unheard of in wrestling. I think it tops Flair in Carolina. The only thing comparable is maybe when WWE went to Canada with the Hart Foundation during Bret Hart's anti-USA run.

• Like 2