DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-3-14

MGFanJay

When has a dance off gotten anyone over?  They keep doing it like it's going to get a big fun response and it never ever does.

There has to have been a more organic way to introduce her as the goofy awkward adorable girl.  Given that a lot of their audience doesn't follow NXT at all, they should have let it develop instead of screaming:

HERE IS THE NEW WWE CORPORATE APPROVED FUN THING FOR YOU TO ENJOY!!!!

DON'T FORGET TO WEAR YOUR FLAIR!!!!!

YOU MAY LAUGH AND CLAP NOW!!!!!

• Like 1

From the replay of the Cody spot it looked like the positioning was off. There wasn't much road dogg could do from where he was standing. I'm guessing a top of the cage moonsault is pretty unpredictable and stupid.

Cause taking a half step to line up with Cody would have been out of the question?

• Like 2

I'm guessing a top of the cage moonsault is pretty unpredictable and stupid.

Considering Angle was the first guy to do it...

Only caught the last half of the last match. Orton always brings it when he's in with Bryan. That joint lock shit was straight-up Regal. I also thought the EXPLOIDAH! was a good bit of offensive psychology. 

From the replay of the Cody spot it looked like the positioning was off. There wasn't much road dogg could do from where he was standing. I'm guessing a top of the cage moonsault is pretty unpredictable and stupid.

Cause taking a half step to line up with Cody would have been out of the question?

With the height of the cage and Cody's hangtime, Road Dogg had ample time to move over.  But to play devil's advocate I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.....there are a lot of bright lights up there, and looking straight up, it was probably easy to lose him in the lights until it was too late.

The Shield vs. Wyatt family stuff is so good.  This Emma chick is dead in the water after that.  Surprised Vince didn't have the announcers ripping into her by the time the dance was done.  People blaming the moonsault miss on Cody are hilarious.  Outlaws have been horrible on Raw two weeks running.  

The problem with the Emma thing is there was no context. The people did boo Summer Rae and pop for Emma when asked to vote so they knew who was supposed to be the face and who was supposed to be the heel. Her dance gimmick thingy didn't get any reaction because without all the backstory from NXT where she thinks she's a good dancer (or whatever, I don't watch NXT), it's just a hot girl pulling an Elaine Benes.

It'd be like Carlton doing the Carlton on the very first episode of Fresh Prince.

If you hate Emma you pretty much hate life and have no business leaving your house.

Main event was pretty good... it was very much a filler show but I wouldn't call it bad. Aksana and Naomi first blood on the horizon?

Nobody hates Emma, the presentation was all wrong.  You gotta be somewhat organic with it, not just throw her out there and have Santino basically say "Hey, watch this girl do a funny dance!" And Cole screwed it up by laughing before she even did anything.

BTW, who's next in the Hall of Fame, or did they introduce anyone at all? I thought Ernie Ladd was already in.

They didn't intro any new HOFers tonight. And Ernie Ladd is already in, as they said in the piece ("only member of the AFL and WWE Halls of Fame")

For everyone saying the Emma segment got shat on, until the main event it was Tge only part of the show where fans didn't chant CM Punk.

Can wrestling be forever taped in an empty arena now? I'm all for fans reacting organically and making the show better, but right now it seems like every show is held in front of twelve thousand ROH fans.

Also Tge match was sort of a throwaway before a man sized promo from Dean Ambrose, but has anyone ever made Ziggler offense look better than Luke Harper just did? Like, if I was a first time watcher and I heard JBL talking about how he was a former champ and Luke Harper bumping around like a loon, I would actually buy that Ziggler is a big deal.

What show were some of you watching? The crowd didn't shit on Emma at all. They cheered her more than Summer so she'd win the contest. It wasn't some overwhelming pop, but since 99% of the crowd had no idea who this chick is and why her dorky dancing is funny, I'd say she got a decent reaction. 

eDIT: Yeah, what them guys above done said.

• Like 1

What show were some of you watching? The crowd didn't shit on Emma at all.

So the blank looks in the crowd while she danced (there was literally one guy dancing along) and the dead silence after her dance was over was a sign of overwhelming acceptance?  They cheered because Santino told them to cheer.  And I'm not dumping on her.  That was just the wrong way to introduce her.

Where's the .gif of the look on JBL's face after AJ stated how many days she was champion? He was about to start rolling his eyes as he turned toward Michael Cole to shoot him a look about it, but on his way there he caught a glimpse of the monitor; realized he was on-camera, and immediately stopped mid-roll.

The young guys need to learn how to work on the fly like the old timers know how to.

So the blank looks in the crowd while she danced (there was literally one guy dancing along) and the dead silence after her dance was over was a sign of overwhelming acceptance?  They cheered because Santino told them to cheer.  And I'm not dumping on her.  That was just the wrong way to introduce her.

But that's pretty much how she got over in NXT.  I mean she started out as a heel with no one really reacting to it, but her goofy dance and failed attempts at entering the ring endeared her with the fans and she got over big as a face.  Her gimmick is one that gets over instantly, but rather grows with repetition.

But that's pretty much how she got over in NXT.  I mean she started out as a heel with no one really reacting to it, but her goofy dance and failed attempts at entering the ring endeared her with the fans and she got over big as a face.  Her gimmick is one that gets over instantly, but rather grows with repetition.

So then wouldn't have been more logic to use the Santino root and have her keep doing spots in the crowed when Fandago came out where she was dancing like an idoit THEN finally had Summer say she wants to have a dance off with her when they actually introduce her

Yeah, Jesus...Emma's segment wasn't fucking Buff and Booker at Tacoma. She was  an unknown in front a shit crowd in a death slot of a long show. It was fine. They cheered her at the end. Everyone likes Santino, I'm sure they'll do wacky stuff for a few weeks on TV and she'll be fine.

However, what is it with all the fucking dancing gimmicks?

• Like 1

In the long run, Road Dog's shitty botch is the only thing I'll remember about this show. Also, Billy looks fucking disgusting on so many different levels. The worst is that he's still wearing the Ass Pants with this droopy grandpa butt.

Speaking of grandpas, would love for Batista to just get demoted to a Del Rio feud for the next two years.

Overall, though, show was okay. Emma thing was fun, first I'd seen of her. Crowd sucked. Orton remains the Technically Sound Musician That Plays Shitty Music. He's heeling it up with all this devious finger breaking stuff with Bryan...you start to think it's kind of interesting...then he makes some dumb rape face and tenses up all phony and you're just annoyed all over again that Daniel Bryan is making you watch a Randy Orton match.

"Haunted rocking chairs" was line of the night. Love this feud.

I completely, totally only care about what interests me and not ratings or any of that other silly shit that doesn't involve me enjoying myself on the couch, so I'll go ahead and say that I want Punk's leaving to turn into a super heel return for a Bryan feud, preferably with the two just exchanging the title for several years.

I can kinda understand being comfortable trying a moonsault off of a cage when you have Cesaro in there to catch you as he's about as good at that as it gets.  Trying it with a 44 year old Road Dogg who's only been back for about a month or so now (and likely doesn't want to take it full on as it'd have a good chance to injure him if it did) is basically asking for the broken wrist he nearly got.  Road Dogg could have made it another step to the side in a better world but that went about as well as one would reasonably expect.  I put it all if not on Cody then on the agent who didn't nix it.

• Like 1