DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-3-14

MGFanJay

We need more Ambrose/Bray dueling promos. I feel like I should pay to see the Shield/Wyatts match. That's gonna be so great.

Props to Bryan for getting something out of Orton in their match. The first few minutes were kinda bad and I really thought Orton was gonna drag Bryan to his level, but then Bryan did that killer leg work sequence and woke Orton from his 6-month coma. We actually did see a little "vintage Orton" in that match. Make no mistake, it would still be terrible for Orton to headline Mania and a program with Batista is still DOA, but hopefully he can settle back into his solid upper midcard role he has held down so well in the past. Not crazy about Kane getting involved, hopefully that's a red herring.

Some other weird stuff on this show too. Aksana's knee drop, Big E hardway-ing another Shield guy, Cody's moonsault (with really odd camera angles), Miz's thing, Lawler's nonsensical interaction with Barrett, Emma's debut for someone who doesn't follow NXT... A lot of WTF moments for one show.

I've been watching the shows live the last couple of weeks instead of speeding through them the next morning, and good lord is the announce team awful. JBL in particular is just the fucking worst, constantly taking dumb, non-storyline potshots at wrestlers and fake-laughing his way through the entire show. Lawler has a set of bad Friars Roast jokes ready to go regardless of context, and Cole's still got no presence post-heel turn. Back to Tuesday Morning RAW for me.

And that Barrett/ Lawler...thing was terrible. "Hey Barrett...no YOU are!"

I really don't feel as though I miss anything worth watching by only catching the 90-minute Tuesday replay on Hulu.  If anything, I probably end up watching more wrestling overall (as back when I would DVR RAW I would inevitably fast-forward through most of it and probably missed some decent segments/matches here and there).

I started watching the DVR recording with about an hour left on the actual broadcast so I'd have some fast forward room. Thank Crom I did. That was a miserable three hours of fake fighting and World Wrestling Wackiness. The best things about the show were Bryan's meaningless win over "the Omaha Nebraska of Wrestling," The Sheild/Wyatt's thing and the Ernie Ladd tribute. Past that, the show was a perfect example of of what will chase the casuals away. It's a show that makes you feel dumb for watching it.

Final thoughts: Omaha Nebraska is a terrible place to have any sort of event that requires a pulse and people who bag on Jeff Beck deserve to live in Omaha Nebraska and listen to nothing but the Decemberists and the National.

I will say that the Emma debut, in general, gives me very little faith that they will get the Bo Dallas debut right. Rushing right to Santino/Emma vs Fandango/Summer isn't a bad move though since that's one of the best things they did all of last year.

Also, I'm really happy they're going to do Cesaro vs Orton. That should be a ridiculous amount of fun.

• Like 1

Also - I was going to say that I find it really odd that a whole lot of people are rejecting a gimmick/wrestler after one appearance in front of a shitty crowd but God forbid you get labelled as a "Wait and See Guy" around here.

• Like 15

OK, somebody tell me what I am missing with the Emma dancing thing. This does not look entertaining. 

I am not going to watch the WWE version because I get anxious watching people doing uncomfortable things so I won;t be speaking to that.  NXT Emma however works in the context especially well for a couple of reasons.  First one of the things that gets over is how earnest the performance is.  You get the sense that this reasonably attractive odd ball really just walks around doing her little dance and shooting bubbles all over the place.  And does she give a flip that you think it is weird?  No.  She is who she is and it speaks to the weird people in the audience who aren't cool.  It says to them that it is okay to be a weirdo, you can be your own person and  be a success.

Secondly she contrasts nicely with the other main ladies on the NXT roster is Summer Rae and Paige.  Summer is a mean person who mocks everyone who isn't on her side of things or fits into her world view.  Paige is a hard ass.  Emma doesn't give two craps about either of their noise.  Emma is a walking, talking, strutting "Haters gonna hate" gif.

Thirdly, she ties people into knots and its awesome.  Her Muta-lock is the bees knees and she has the flexibility to not only get into the hold but actually wrench on it and make it look like death.  She's not serious in ring but she's still a threat and doesn't make stupid mistakes so she can dance.  The dancing usually starts the match off until its time for Tarantulas.

• Like 1

Also - I was going to say that I find it really odd that a whole lot of people are rejecting a gimmick/wrestler after one appearance in front of a shitty crowd but God forbid you get labelled as a "Wait and See Guy" around here.

Especially since it took a couple of months for her to get over in NXT.

I was going to say it was really odd seeing people bitch about people selling for a really old Billy Gunn when one of those people is Goldust but it is bad opinion day.

I started watching the DVR recording with about an hour left on the actual broadcast so I'd have some fast forward room. Thank Crom I did. That was a miserable three hours of fake fighting and World Wrestling Wackiness. The best things about the show were Bryan's meaningless win over "the Omaha Nebraska of Wrestling," The Sheild/Wyatt's thing and the Ernie Ladd tribute. Past that, the show was a perfect example of of what will chase the casuals away. It's a show that makes you feel dumb for watching it.

Final thoughts: Omaha Nebraska is a terrible place to have any sort of event that requires a pulse and people who bag on Jeff Beck deserve to live in Omaha Nebraska and listen to nothing but the Decemberists and the National.

Strong words on Omaha coming from one who resides in IDAHO.

What was the total count? 4 hard way juices in the the first hour?

I could've sworn Orton bled a little in the main event as well. I know there was something on his face that looked like blood at one point.

That crowd died a death for Emma. I'm not sure how they built her up in NXT but it has to have been exponentially better if she's so crazy over down there and got over like a fart in church on the big stage, even given how horrible that crowd was.

Titus O had a great promo on the app with Byron Saxton.  He just comes off so naturally when he has a chance to talk and should be on promos almost all the time.  He also cuts a great visual in the suits.  He hits a bunch of stuff with Black History Month and not being invited to the app.  "I have to be invited to the app?"

It's not a guy, Rippa.  It's a "contingent" or a "crew."

You need to pay closer attention to this stuff.

It's not a guy, Rippa.  It's a "contingent" or a "crew."

You need to pay closer attention to this stuff.

You're not the boss of me!

That was the best Bryan/Orton match out of the bunch and shockingly better than anything they have tried on PPV.  I'd take it over pretty much any Bryan singles match since SS (maybe longer).  I've got to give Orton credit too.  The dude really showed up for work last night.

I think I'm more hyped for Shield/Wyatts than any potential WM match.  Please stick them in the chamber, WWE.  Please.

The crowd reacted the way most crowds would react to the Emma segment. It was a danceoff and Emma was doing a weird arm gesture which didn't really resemble dancing.  How much was the crowd supposed to cheer for her? She looked ridiculous. Which I guess is supposed to be the point?

There is no comparison between Goldust and Billy Gunn right now. Goldust looks and wrestles like he hasn't aged and was reintroduced with awesome matches against Orton and the Shield that brought the house down. Gunn is slow paced, loosely playing a heel and has a catchphrase.

• Like 1

Just for the record - in scrolling through the DVDVR feed just now (to see what I missed after I fell asleep) according to PWI - the crowd was chanting for Emma before that segment started so who knows.

Also this made me really laugh

Gregory Shane Helms ‏@ShaneHelmsCom  10h

She’s way better. “@LanceStorm: I consider myself a better worker than Aksana and I try to avoid dropping knees on people’s faces.
  • Like 2

Look I have no problem saying Billy is not on the same planet as Goldust as regards to who is better but the 'he's old' talking point is goofy as shit.

Looking at the moonsault again, its really freaking hard to see what went wrong.  I'm not sure if Cody clocked Dogg on the top of the head or shoulder with a knee or what.  Clearly it hurt both guys but I think that Cody rotated too much and the point of contact was lower than the chest-to-chest contact you would want?