DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

AJ seems like the first person in a looooonnnnngggg time that gives me the vibes that she will go legit crazy when gets fired. I mean, that rumor of "Melina plotting to sneak into the building and shoot on someone but Nattie stopped it after she got fired" crazy.  Maybe she will pull a Slayer fan and carve WWE into her forearms.

Or she'll wind up with a swastika marked on her forehead hitting random people with a kendo stick at indy shows.

• Like 1

So is it hip now to hate guys like Ziggler, and Bryan because they are stupid bumpers?

I don't hate Ziggler but I do find him to be a boring personality. He's perfect as a JTTS but I think we're beyond him being a viable main event challenger. He's Miz with awesome bumps.

That is the most accurate description of Ziggler I think I have ever seen.

I want to apologize for my childish posts in the last hours regarding the spike tombstone piledriver from the apron gif. I am a bit protective of JT Dunn but I admit that I didn't handle the discussion on a mature way and in the process disrespected this great forum and their great members who made it what it is today.

Re Ziggler: either let him go for a while to New Japan and make him return later or make him a member of the Shield when Reigns leaves. I have strong feelings about how the Reigns angle should be done and I will share them later.

madsplah: I rave about Gargano. He's one of those guys who just seems like a generic dude doing generic stuff until one day you notice that he is always having the best matches and doing "the little things", I have a lot of respect for him.

So is it hip now to hate guys like Ziggler, and Bryan because they are stupid bumpers?

Fuck, and here I thought the end of Raw this week ran you out of town forever.

Can't you make a Lillian Garcia horse joke or something and give us a week off?

He gave himself a concussion, and couldn't remember what happened during the match. That just gives me more ammo in my continued fight against the Daniel Bryan main event push. 

Have Davey Richards and Teddy Hart ever had a match against each other? If not, I kind of feel like that could be the greatest disasterfuck of a match in wrestling history, and would also be the end of whatever promotion would be unfortunate enough to book it.

I would also buy ten copies of the DVD if Zandig interferes and Ricky Fuji dresses up as Paul E. and guest ring announces the match as a "THREE WAY FUCKING DANCE!"

Put it inside a Steel Davey Richards match. Teddy goes to do a moonsalt for the hell of it and Davey goes all pseudo MMA on him.

He gave himself a concussion, and couldn't remember what happened during the match. That just gives me more ammo in my continued running a shitty gimmick into the ground.

Oh, great.

I enjoy Gargano as well.  Sure, there's ... whatever that vid was, but when he's on, he's enjoyable to watch.  There was a DGUSA double shot where he wrestled Chuck Taylor in an I-Quit match, then took on Akira Tozawa ... I thoroughly enjoyed those matches as bookends.  Plus, he tapped out Davey Richards at the recent PWG ASW ... hell, that's worth anything to me.

When/if/whatever Chikara returns, I hope it means the return of F.I.S.T. as well, as that was one of my favorite stables.

• Like 1

Have Davey Richards and Teddy Hart ever had a match against each other? If not, I kind of feel like that could be the greatest disasterfuck of a match in wrestling history, and would also be the end of whatever promotion would be unfortunate enough to book it.

I would also buy ten copies of the DVD if Zandig interferes and Ricky Fuji dresses up as Paul E. and guest ring announces the match as a "THREE WAY FUCKING DANCE!"

DUDE.  Thirty-foot moonsault...NO-SOLD.

I just can't believe all of that is from one match. It's not even about the individual spots being too dangerous or reckless. You want to take a running Snake Eyes into the middle turnbuckle without protecting yourself, go for it. But when you're standing up shrugging off superkicks and doing ballet spins out of clothesline reversals a few minutes later...why should I care that you took a running Snake Eyes into the middle turnbuckle without protecting yourself, exactly?

At its worst, indy wrestling is like a Michael Bay movie. Lots of stuff goes kaboom but I have no idea what kind of story you're trying to tell me.

• Like 5

I enjoy Gargano as well.  Sure, there's ... whatever that vid was, but when he's on, he's enjoyable to watch.  There was a DGUSA double shot where he wrestled Chuck Taylor in an I-Quit match, then took on Akira Tozawa ... I thoroughly enjoyed those matches as bookends.  Plus, he tapped out Davey Richards at the recent PWG ASW ... hell, that's worth anything to me.

When/if/whatever Chikara returns, I hope it means the return of F.I.S.T. as well, as that was one of my favorite stables.

Wrestling Is... are mainly CHIKARA shows running CHIKARA storylines.

If I had to guess I'd say that some angle concerning CHIKARA's return is to happen at this: http://nationalprowrestlingday.com/

Re: Movez~! The turnbuckle is pretty soft, everyone who takes it head first is protected. You're protected by Johnny Gargano's ability to throw you head first to the buckle. I've seen him do it a million times, no one seems to get hurt.

If you have more moves each move has less meaning individually but that doesn't mean that the final product is inferior/meaningless/has no story. The story of the match is the unknown JT Dunn going toe to toe with the establish Johnny Gargano taking all his shit and still coming back for more until he has to tap out. What's great about the match is how they feed from a rowdy crowd and give them what they want making JT Dunn a star on the eyes of the fans and of Kevin Steen.

The superkicks have been dead for a long time as a finisher on the indies. One of those things that you just can't "save", it's a point of no return, we may as well get us some Superkick parties~! I think those are hit or miss, but oh well. 

Couple of things came to mind today (slow morning at work):

1. The WWE policy of editing out chokeholds and such suggests that we may never see the Cena/Umaga RR'07 match in its entirety again.

2. With the suggestion that WWE will start returning Benoit to their historical canon by way of disclaimers or advisories prior to those matches ... how's that going to work?  What kind of wording will go into that?  "Warning: The following match (or segment, as the case may be) contains scenes involving an individual who is a murderer.  Parental guidance is suggested."(?)  Open to War Games 1997, with Hennig viciously slamming the cage door on Flair's head, begging the question, "What exactly was the warning for again?"

Wrestling Is... are mainly CHIKARA shows running CHIKARA storylines.

If I had to guess I'd say that some angle concerning CHIKARA's return is to happen at this: http://nationalprowrestlingday.com/

True.  And man, I wish they'd tile those wrestler pics a little better ...

Ziggler is quickly approaching the Miz-zone. It's where a performer has been directionless and emasculated for so long that it's difficult to view their work/talent objectively. Even the Ziggler fans don't know what to make of the guy anymore.

I am lucky enough to have a girlfriend who is willing to come to indy shows with me, and I don't think there has ever been a wrestler she has been less impressed with than Johnny Gargano, which is odd because I generally like him. She has seen the Taylor I Quit match and some of his Chikara stuff, and she always maintains he comes across as though he has no idea as to why his character is involved in the match. To use an overused acting term, he doesn't understand his motivation or driving action. She basically has no interest in how good anyone's punches are or deeper storytelling or anything like that, so I generally view her opinions as more in line with what non internet wrestling fans see in different performers.

Does anyone think it's fair to say that Gargano is a progression of the Alex Shelley: Wrestling Hipster character?