DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Ugh, the Christian Coalition/Angle Alliance storyline was the worst. 2 hours of Angle, Karen, Christian, goofy AJ, and Tomko was unbearable.

Tomko was at his absolute peak as the guy who stands in the background subtly reacting to what's being said in an interview. That's all he ever should have done.

Ugh, the Christian Coalition/Angle Alliance storyline was the worst. 2 hours of Angle, Karen, Christian, goofy AJ, and Tomko was unbearable.

I know a lot of people have a specific year or "era" of TNA they can pin point to being the turning point of the promotion (for the worst). For me, when TNA turned into Total Non-Stop Angle is that point. All of the divisions got sacrificed so that we could see Angle running around in a thong. I quit watching TNA regularly in 2007 after that fucking atrocious Lockdown show, but the few bright spots I did catch involved anyone but Kurt Angle

I distinctly remember Angle running around in a thong, giving people European Uppercuts as they faded to commercial. I feel so used.

Re Daniel Bryan (un)turn:

I think that only in a very specific set that kind of segment could have such a great reaction. Bryan becoming a Wyatt just to become Bryan again 2 weeks later makes 0 sense and makes his character confusing and not apelative at all. The reason it worked is that the fans didn't see it as "yay, Daniel Bryan broke the Wyatt spell!!" but rather as "yay, they're ending this stupid angle!"

It was one of those cases where the heat was actually on the booking team for giving Bryan a stupid gimmick and they had to reverse their decision because the crowd continued to support him and chanting "yes! yes! yes!". The reason the crowd got so crazy is because they feel that they were the reason D Bryan was unchained and that they are making the WWE protect Bryan and book him strong. This is pro wrestling at his best: crowd pulling for one guys has direct interference on the outcome of matches and storylines and Bryan has a very special connection with the hardcore fans that will be hard to break.

Re Roman Reigns

The only way Reigns push will work is if they don't hotshot him too fast and start putting him on high profile 1 v 1 matches against strong names. Right now the money is on Reigns vs Ambrose.

Shield has been all about having those great 6 man matches so I think it's fitting that the Wrestlemania match is a 6 man itself. I would make Reigns and the Usos (since they are related and all) vs Ambrose, Rollins and new Shield guy.

Who would that be? You could try to save Ziggler's career by having him there. Dry his hair black and have him be dark Ziggler~ for once. In a perfect world Sami Calliham would be a possibility but that ain't happening. I would like if they got Rhino for the Gore vs Gore dynamic. He would do Reings role, he is experienced enough, would work extra hard if he got a little run on the WWE and he's a non-roster guy to do the job to Reigns, great. I think he is a good worker.

After that, than by all means, have Reings vs Ambrose at Extreme Rules and let them go unleash on the midcard win a crazee match with multiple interferences on behalf of Ambrose and Reigns killing everybody and looking like a killer superstar.

If you put him against Batista or having a title shot or whatever it just won't work and he will probably end up a Ryback. I don't know how I would do the break up tho.

Re the Rumble

Can they hype the Rumble match any less? It really doesn't feel like Rumble season.

One thing that I'd do would be to have the RR be a place for opportunity for development guys. It would be silly to have a Cesaro vs Kingston qualifying match because none of the guys should be out of the Rumble, but to have a Sami Zayn vs Heath Slater for a spot on a Rumble on Raw? It's a great way to debut a guy that isn't going to be too gimmicky and it adds a new layer of interest to the Rumble match which is to see if the new dude is any good.

Of course, this works better if the new guy beats Heath Slater on Raw than if Bo Dallas wins some tournament nobody saw.

Re Indy Wrestling

I have been enjoying AIW a lot lately and this may sound weird after my posts on the JT Dunn piledriver but here's the deal:

So, Tim Donst beats Hero clean on a good match (very good by Donst's standard, average by Hero's) and then starts vomiting because he was wrestling sick and all (while Hero makes fun of him because "lol you won and are vomiting and I lost and I'm cool") and starts cutting a promo about how he beat Michael Hutter and Chris Hero and now it was time to take a step even forward~!

That's when I figured that he was gonna challenge for the title but nopes, he challenged Danny Havoc to an hardcore match out of the blue. I was so wtf-ed.

Colt Cabana vs Tracy Smothers from that same show was awesome tho. Dave Prazak on commentary gave it an old IWA-MS feeling. Their segment was like 40 minutes with them mostly bullshitting, Tracy Smothers constantly turning from babyface to heel to babyface and Colt Cabana constantly hitting on Tracy's "daughter" (I actually don't know if she is her shoot daughter but at the time I was convinced she was)  

Re Daniel Bryan (un)turn:

I think that only in a very specific set that kind of segment could have such a great reaction. Bryan becoming a Wyatt just to become Bryan again 2 weeks later makes 0 sense and makes his character confusing and not apelative at all. The reason it worked is that the fans didn't see it as "yay, Daniel Bryan broke the Wyatt spell!!" but rather as "yay, they're ending this stupid angle!"

It was one of those cases where the heat was actually on the booking team for giving Bryan a stupid gimmick and they had to reverse their decision because the crowd continued to support him and chanting "yes! yes! yes!". The reason the crowd got so crazy is because they feel that they were the reason D Bryan was unchained and that they are making the WWE protect Bryan and book him strong. This is pro wrestling at his best: crowd pulling for one guys has direct interference on the outcome of matches and storylines and Bryan has a very special connection with the hardcore fans that will be hard to break.

Re Roman Reigns

The only way Reigns push will work is if they don't hotshot him too fast and start putting him on high profile 1 v 1 matches against strong names. Right now the money is on Reigns vs Ambrose.

Shield has been all about having those great 6 man matches so I think it's fitting that the Wrestlemania match is a 6 man itself. I would make Reigns and the Usos (since they are related and all) vs Ambrose, Rollins and new Shield guy.

Who would that be? You could try to save Ziggler's career by having him there. Dry his hair black and have him be dark Ziggler~ for once. In a perfect world Sami Calliham would be a possibility but that ain't happening. I would like if they got Rhino for the Gore vs Gore dynamic. He would do Reings role, he is experienced enough, would work extra hard if he got a little run on the WWE and he's a non-roster guy to do the job to Reigns, great. I think he is a good worker.

Mason Ryan.

I can't respond to him from my phone because I don't wanna quote a bunch of shit about Tracey Smothers' daughter just because I want to tell him he's dead wrong about the heat being on the booking team in the Daniel Bryan angle.

Break that shit up, man.

• Like 1

I can't respond to him from my phone because I don't wanna quote a bunch of shit about Tracey Smothers' daughter just because I want to tell him he's dead wrong about the heat being on the booking team in the Daniel Bryan angle.

Break that shit up, man.

Well, it is on the booking, even if it is an abstract notion of it.

I don't think the people went nuts because Bryan finally turned back after two weeks of Wyatts hypnosis. That's not a good story.

What is a good story is that WWE tried to make DBryan a Wyatt for a while to calm down those crazy hijacking reactions from the live crowds that had no effect on Bryan's impact on the ratings and the fans didn't let them, the fans made them undo the angle and that's why they went crazy: they were celebrating with Bryan the fact that they put a stop to a bad storyline and to a character development they didn't want to see.

(abridged version : p, I'm sorry for the mega post)

Except the story was never Bryan being under the Wyatt's spell or anything, literally or figuratively. Bryan was frustrated at all of the bull and hoops he jumps through, and took the Wyatt's up on a supposed easy way out, but when push came to shove, Bryan, like any babyface worth his salt, said "fuck this I'll do it myself" and stomped a mud hole and walked it dry.

• Like 1

I liked comedy heel AJ. It's the only time he's ever been charismatic.

I remember there was one backstage bit with AJ, James Storm, Christian, and the rest of them and Storm said something Boomhauer esq in redneck gibberish and everyone turned to AJ to translate and he perfectly deadpanned "he said lets go kick their ass and then go drink some beer".

Just now watched my DVRed episode of Top Chef and apparently John Cena was on Watch What Happens Live last night. I'm watching clips on Bravo's website. Apparently, his relationship with Nikki is in the "it's complicated" territory as he didn't say yes when asked if they were still dating. Natasha Lyonne confirmed that she passed on the lead role in the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And John Cena played a game called "Cena Later"in which they determined whether or not Cena can destroy a teddy bear, a sausage, a Manhattan phone book, and a wig.