DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/27 - 4/2/2024 - Sit Tight, Take Hold... Thunder Rosa

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Did you actually type this or do we have a framistan for 'power twink'

I think the word you're looking for is 'twunk'. I recently learned the definition myself and they qualify.

As for Mone, that's really on AEW, she isn't the best talker and isn't going to know how to improvise well yet being institutionalised by WWE, so why put her on commentary? Just walking out on the ramp for a staredown would've had the same effect. Was nice she's been scouting some talent though.

I like the idea of Copeland working the Callis family next. He can get through Hobbs and Fletcher, barely survive Takeshita then lose cleanly to Ospreay furthering that storyline of Ospreay being part of the family but also 'the best' member of it also.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Also, while we're on Mercedes: I didn't love her in the booth necessarily either, but credit where it's due (and Taz took the words right out of my mouth, in a story sense): loved her calling the code blue. The whole idea of Mercedes scouting that move did a lot for Skye IMO

Agreed stood out to me as well, one of my favorite moments from the match

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Careful. Calling anything Mercedes does “inauthentic” earns you a visit from @Niners Fan in CT

No, I usually only respond when obsessed weirdos tag me and I see it in my mentions.  I'm just not sure if you are more obsessed with her or me.  🤣

I see you ducked the last time I responded to you,  I suppose you didn't want to touch when I brought up how you said Sasha/Mercedes doesn't talk like a "real black girl"..   If I was you, I'd have stayed silent too. 

Also,  what were weirdos like Alvarez and Dave expecting out of Mercedes being at the commentary table for the 4-way?  She was speaking on the action and how much she wants to mix it up with these women.  What else was there to say?  She's barely had any interaction with any of them at all and has no matches announced.  

10 hours ago, JLowe said:

And while I think she is an important addition, having her be the focus of a title angle that she isn’t actually participating in, when she hasn’t even wrestled a match in the company, is a little insulting to the existing talent.

The women had a very good fatal 4 way match and it was in the 9 o'clock hour and the reason it was in that spot is because they signed Mercedes.  That's not some crazy, hyperbolic statement.  These ladies were routinely in the death spot and now they are being elevated above that because they brought in a woman who has main evented a WrestleMania etc.. etc.. Her entire gimmick is that she's the 'CEO' and she's a 'superstar' so why wouldn't the rest of the women want to prove something?  Whether that's to show Mercedes and the rest of the world that they are on that level or to just shut her up?  

You do realize they are billing her as a "5x women's champion"?   This isn't WWF in 1988 where someone comes in as a construction worker gimmick and the company completely ignores their past as an accomplished athlete.  That's NOT what is happening here.  She's coming into the company as THE standard...  So yes, a lot of the focus is going to be on her as the others prove themselves one way or another.   

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Also, while we're on Mercedes: I didn't love her in the booth necessarily either, but credit where it's due (and Taz took the words right out of my mouth, in a story sense): loved her calling the code blue. The whole idea of Mercedes scouting that move did a lot for Skye IMO

That's true too. Anyone saying she "added nothing" is just a hater and can't be taken seriously.  She was out there calling moves before they happened like she actually watches the product (because she clearly does watch the product) and her in kayfabe taking the time to scout the Skye Blue's of the world does more for Skye Blue than random matches on Rampage.. 

• Like 2

Its way too early to judge but at the moment I don't love what they are doing with Mercedes. I'm a big fan of Mercedes but I don't think they are playing to her strengths. She's a great wrestler and solid as a heel on the mic, but babyface talking to me is her weakest area. Its fine if she is a babyface, I get that part, but focusing on just talking the last three weeks runs the risk of some fans losing that initial big spark. I've love for them to actually book her in a match since that is what I think her fans want to see, even if its a warm-up type match against a Deeb/Riho/Rose/Riot/Statlander level wrestler. Someone that won't suffer by losing to her but can put on a good, competitive match to show Mercedes' abilities. Its way too early to judge her AEW run of course, and I'm not doing that, but I do think she could have had a more interesting first three weeks.

I hope she doesn't have a contract with limited matches but too early to know that for sure, they may just feel the slow burn is the way to go. I prefer the Adam Copeland method where he wrestled a singles match soon after debuting to take advantage of everyone paying attention to something new and fresh.

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of Mercedes Mone but I'm yet to be sold on the Mone Maker, pun intended. The CEO part of the entrance alongside the dance feels corny too and I'm not talking about Cornette.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

With Cole in the picture, you can’t give a good push to Swerve, or anyone else, because all roads go right back to Cole and MJF for the title

Nah, Cole vs MJF doesn’t need the title anywhere near it, I think TK gets that.

• Like 3

I think Swerve and Ospreay have the main belt covered the rest of the year. If the timing works out, MJF/Cole 2 should be at All Out this year. Last year they did the double babyface glitz and glamour match, this year they get the gritty, bloody, hate-filled match.

The worst part from Mercedes on commentary was fumbling the "which of these 4 would you most like to face" question. That's an easy "Willow, because I have history with her" not hemming and hawing trying to mention everyone and realizing you don't have anything good to say about Anna Jay.

• Like 1

I hope TK isn't putting the world title in a holding pattern so that two injured wrestlers with unknown return times can feud for it. I'm sure there is some temptation there if that was the original plan but there are too many talented and popular wrestlers to pause everything. Just keep it going and let Cole/MJF settle their beef one day in the distant future even if the belt isn't involved.

• Like 1

I feel Moné is being set up to turn heel pretty quickly. The obnoxious business speak and focus on herself and her accomplishments, and fuckin with our beloved Willow? C'mon, that's not good guy vibes at all...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My enjoyment of the first 3 weeks of Mercedes Mone is on par with most around here, but ex-Superstars often need time to adjust. Miro was shit upon until he found his God. Some might say it took Toni Storm over a year to figure things out. Go back and look at what ppl had to say about Brodie Lee for the first patch. Mone's week 2 with the video throw was the worst. Week 1 was completely fine. Week 3 commentary wasn't great, but also not worthy of the degree of shit. When she's finally cleared(?) and able to lace up the boots for a bout I'm pretty confident this shitflinging will subside. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, JLowe said:

I liked her debut appearance, but I think she needs to have some of the WWE deprogrammed from her. And while I think she is an important addition, having her be the focus of a title angle that she isn’t actually participating in, when she hasn’t even wrestled a match in the company, is a little insulting to the existing talent.

If AEW is the "workrate" company, then why is she not working?  All I hear about her is that she was the best in-ring female the WWE had in forever, and TK hasn't put her in the ring once.  Show me her work, or get her off my tv.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Log said:

Bucks/Kingdom would be kind of worth it if Bennett hits the dick punch and ends up getting fined on the spot. 

That's the one thing this heel turn from the Bucks is missing - blatant abuse of power to win matches. I'm definitely not saying they should be heel authority figures and making matches and such, but they should be leveraging their position to their benefit a lot more.

They should have a crooked referee calling their matches calling thing right down the middle Fonzie style. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

If AEW is the "workrate" company, then why is she not working?  All I hear about her is that she was the best in-ring female the WWE had in forever, and TK hasn't put her in the ring once.  Show me her work, or get her off my tv.

You definitely aren't wrong, but by the same token, I think there's still something to be said for the conventional wisdom of holding back her first AEW bout for PPV - Id imagine the roadmap looks something like Punk's when he came in (individualized hype for "First Rampage Appearance!!", "First Dynamite Match!!", etc.)

ETA: taking the Japan injury into consideration, it's also entirely possible it's a shake off the rust/light duty situation with her for a bit

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SovietShooter said:

I believe there's a clearance issue. And, as Zakk mentioned above, a want for her first match to be on PPV, which is pretty fair.

That's the one thing this heel turn from the Bucks is missing - blatant abuse of power to win matches. I'm definitely not saying they should be heel authority figures and making matches and such, but they should be leveraging their position to their benefit a lot more.

They should have a crooked referee calling their matches calling thing right down the middle Fonzie style. 

Blatant abuse of power to win matches sounds in-line with House of Torture chicanery, and I'm not sure you want that anymore than I do. The logic here is their EVP tags don't carry as much weight as they'd like. I suspect this will be revealed in time.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

This is one of those "Why the hell wasn't that on TV?!" items: there was a BTE segment in the very early days that revealed they were paying off Rick Knox in this fashion

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Nah, Cole vs MJF doesn’t need the title anywhere near it, I think TK gets that.

That’s the best part of all this booking, they can basically go all of 2024 with Joe, Swerve, Hangman, Ospreay, whoever else. Meanwhile, when they’re both ready MJF can occupy Cole and go after non-champion Joe until he gets his revenge. If everything goes well and gets over, MJF finally gets the belt back at the last PPV of the year.

• Like 2

I honestly thought they were going to force a quick 10-count from the ref against Private Party.

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

That’s the best part of all this booking, they can basically go all of 2024 with Joe, Swerve, Hangman, Ospreay, whoever else. Meanwhile, when they’re both ready MJF can occupy Cole and go after non-champion Joe until he gets his revenge. If everything goes well and gets over, MJF finally gets the belt back at the last PPV of the year.

Obviously, this makes perfectly logical sense from a booking perspective - no argument from me there - but I'll be entirely honest: babyface MJF kinda ran its course in our house.

The crowd is definitely gonna cheer him on return, so it makes sense from that perspective as well - I'm just not necessarily looking forward to it (not at all 'cause it's 'wrong' but just entirely as a matter of personal taste).

In a perfect world, if this MJF/Cole thing *absolutely* has to be paid off, I would have MJF terrorize Cole and TUK to the point that the audience actually begins to feel a bit badly for Cole, and there's a de-facto double-turn. Like, ruin the dude's life. Home invasion during a Chugs stream, show up at the dentist's office and beat up DMD's boss, the whole nine.

"You think you're the devil? I am evil itself." Idk

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

I haven't missed the MJF/Cole stuff on TV at all... either guy individually (though we've seen Cole), the angle, any of it. Until you guys brought it up I forgot about it. Probably says a lot about my interests specifically but if anyone else has moved along too, perhaps they should as well. 

• Like 4