DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

10 hours ago, username said:

Given that Miro was one of the people rumored to have asked for his release/been approached by WWE and seemingly turned down... how can I put this: you have the legal right to make him stick around but you can't really force him to care or try if he doesn't want to. One can argue whether he should or not but ultimately if he's only there because he is made to (again because he signed a contract of his own free will) there's really nothing to prevent him from slow playing things the rest of his time there. Even in WWE, where this happened a lot to people we were generally sympathetic to, things generally hit a point where if the wrestlers still wanted out they decided it was no longer worth the effort and just let them go and... well if the rumors are true this has been going on for about 18 months now, if it's not getting better by now it likely ain't gonna.

Miro and Andrade were both vocally unhappy in WWE.  Then both made no qualms about letting everyone know they were unhappy in AEW.

You tell me you met an asshole in the morning...

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

I don't care who the asshole is in all of this, sometimes assholes are right and either way you have to find a way to work with assholes especially in wrestling. I think it's a failure on the part of both parties that guys like Miro aren't used to even half of their potential. I also think that after being forced to do bad creative in WWE that some folks would be reluctant to trust in the process in AEW when they have creative control

• Like 1

Thinking about a Miro return, what I came up with was instead of the typical "path of destruction", just have him come out to stretch a jobber, and refuse to leave as opponent after opponent come out to be crushed. Raise the level of difficulty and have him wipe out some main guys. Then maybe Joe comes out and he powders? Dunno, defends on who you want to feud him with.

Speaking of Joe, word is that the spot Joe had earlier this year (win an eliminator tournament, then lose in a title challenge vs MJF at Grand Slam) was earmarked for Miro, but Miro turned it down so Joe got it.  Maybe if he was a company guy instead of pulling a "that doesn't work for me, brother," he would have the world title by now.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of Joe, word is that the spot Joe had earlier this year (win an eliminator tournament, then lose in a title challenge vs MJF at Grand Slam) was earmarked for Miro, but Miro turned it down so Joe got it.  Maybe if he was a company guy instead of pulling a "that doesn't work for me, brother," he would have the world title by now.

Must be nice to have creative control because I would be giving him a choice of putting over everyone for 6 weeks and getting bought out of his contract or being fired for breach.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Must be nice to have creative control because I would be giving him a choice of putting over everyone for 6 weeks and getting bought out of his contract or being fired for breach.

Seriously.  Like in what world is beating 3-4 guys in a tournament and then jobbing to the world champion on one of the year's biggest TV episodes a bad thing?

Miro's idea of good creative seems to be "I beat everybody, I get the belt, then I beat everybody again."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Seriously.  Like in what world is beating 3-4 guys in a tournament and then jobbing to the world champion on one of the year's biggest TV episodes a bad thing?

Miro's idea of good creative seems to be "I beat everybody, I get the belt, then I beat everybody again."

His other two ideas:

”The only person who can beat me is literally God, but in the end I get my win back”

”My hot, flexible wife turns on me, first with a jobber who I utterly obliterate, then with a fellow former WWE wrestler, causing me to almost lose, but in the big payoff match she reveals that it was all a ruse”

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Miro signed an extension. That’s the insane part.

He’s being paid lots of money to be able to say “that’s not going to work for me, brother” and sit at home, I’d sign that extension too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AEW creative may very well not have anything compelling for Miro to do, but if he's turning down stuff and his ideas are on par with his stuff with Sabian and the CJ stuff from last year, then maybe he should listen?

• Like 4

Miro seems like a pill but seeing the way AEW has continually fumbled other upper-mid card monsters like Hobbs and Wardlow does bring to mind that Oscar Wilde quote about losing parents.

• Like 2

I'm all for wrestlers saying no to stuff. There are numerous examples of guys who should've said no more. Paul Wight and Braun Strowman are two of the biggest, IMO. I mean, both did fine for themselves, but there's a world where they're spoken of as being special in the way Andre is. Well, probably not like that, but more than just another guy.

I feel much the same about Miro being unprofessional, whiny, etc. But... what actual facts of the matter do we know concerning his story and time in AEW? Seems like a lot of hearsay. Tho, I may have missed something. Certainly I've purposely missed some Important Tweets. Miro did an interview with Renee a year or so back, and seemed pretty content with AEW and especially the schedule. I believe it was sandwiched between disappearances.  

• Like 1

Fwiw, Miro is a pretty notorious shit stirrer on social media. Says stuff just to say it. Not to mention his wife might be losing a hand...

WELL THEN. That was an unexpected development.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The continuing message seems to be “modern wrestlers seem to not take criticism well.” On a variety of levels. 

This isn't quite fair. Wrestlers weren't able to criticise anything back in the day or else they'd be kicked to the curb. This is a different day, plus you got social media to exacerbate any bad tendencies and give them airtime. And do you really expect people crazy enough to break their bodies for crowd applause to be humble? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t necessarily mean criticize the office. Although, if you didn’t liked how your were booked, there were dozens of other places to work. 

I would also not expect anyone in the business to be completely well-adjusted. Ditto for people such as stunt people, sky divers, extreme weather truckers or fishermen, etc. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

"Mrs. Perry insists that Mr. Barnyashev refused to 'put her over', leading to great distress"

So many potential responses best not posted. 😀

• Haha 1

Interesting note at the end that Miro moved back to Bulgaria after the split.

edit to add: assuming it’s not a work

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2