DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

After the atrocity of the first one, I think any thought of revisiting it was nonexistent. The lack of forethought into that thing was mindboggling.

For example, the amount of lower body injuries in the tournament cause these dudes aren't actual boxers save for Mero who was like probably a decade or more removed from amateur boxing or training anything boxing so he essentially sucked like the other dudes. So if you're off balance or don't particularly move with any grace like most real boxers would, falling involuntarily backwards or forwards is probably going to lead to a pretty serious and significant injury that puts you out several months in addition to any traumatic brain injury. Doesn't help that all those dudes are giants so it's their own body weight coming down on them. So if none of the movements you make are natural, a torn hamstring, blown out knee, or maybe a nasty ankle break ala Ezra Sellers vs. John McClain is definitely on the table.

This is also probably stating the obvious, but even with those hard-ass pre '98 rings, there's still a bit more give under the feet with the added padding as opposed to a boxing ring. When I read this, I immediately thought of Foley's first book where he said there were a few blown knees and ankles when they eventually made it a bit softer that year

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

PIX11 has been playing Seinfeld re-runs for quite a long time as well. 

Tri-state area bedtime pro tip: at some point, the CW affiliate in CT skipped an airing or shuffled some things around, so if you're tired of whatever episode is on channel 11, there are always two different ones on at the same time on channel 20

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the sort of stuff he was doing 25 years ago, it is a pleasant surprise that 2024 Mick Foley is doing stuff like getting to attend an Iowa/Indiana basketball game in a few weeks because he’s a Caitlin Clark and Indiana basketball fan.

(hey, some of his earliest matches billed him from Bloomington, Indiana)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Anthem fired Scott D'Amore from TNA. Which is pretty shocking to me...I thought he was doing a pretty great job.

Wow, that is kinda shocking. I'd heard nothing but good things thru the grapevine about their recent FA signings - maybe they were unhappy with the rebrand back to TNA, or something? Hopefully nothing, uh, untoward.

With Callis having been gone for a while, I'm very curious who's gonna end up running the show there. I think there's definitely a market/appetite for a third national show on the level of an ECW or AWA but it really seems like anyone in contention keeps going one step forward, two back.

Edit: Thanks @Kangyou caught me while I was typing

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow, unless there is some serious cause there, that's incredibly shitty. Scott's always seemed like a nice guy who bleeds TNA. It makes you wonder if he knew it was coming and his speech to start the year was some kinda goodbye (I didn't listen, so somebody else will have to say if there were hints or not). 

And unless there is that serious cause I can definitely see him getting a new job with the big two real quick, so at least he has a parachute. There's Callis in one company and a certain creative void in another right now...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Er, I guess nobody uses the TNA thread anymore... 

It's always sad to see somebody lose their job, especially after the surprisingly solid relaunch of the brand. That said, a change seemed long overdue. D'Amore consistently put a great team on the field, which he should be applauded for. On the otherhand, his skillset as a booker and especially producer of the weekly show left a lot to be desired. He was also insufferable as a character. There were some shows where every story revolved around his 'Authority Figure' decision making. He's not exactly a great talker to be on every goddamn segment of a show. Having had the opportunity to discuss all things Wrestling in a lengthy conversation with Scott, I know first hand that he's the reason, or at least a champion of, Impact/TNA being so insistent on Magic Camera Dramas and all the other WWE-lite bullshit that has long marred the product. I can also say from that conversation that Scott seemed like a good guy, and very loyal to his team. Unlikely he won't be employed by some company at some point soon. 

• Like 7

Having not been a regular TNA viewer in quite some time, I appreciate the insight @HarryArchieGus - I had assumed all that WWE-lite stuff you mentioned was a philosophy picked up during the Bischoff/Hogan era that they never quite shed, so I was a bit surprised to read that.

Edit: Actually, I should add- there was one instance pretty recently where I caught Impact, and the segment was centered around Zack Ryder and his guys doing a sort of Jericho-esque 'Sports Entertainer' deal, calling themselves WTF (World Titan Federation, naturally) - I actually thought shooting it WWE-style the way they did was part of the bit

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Having not been a regular TNA viewer in quite some time, I appreciate the insight @HarryArchieGus - I had assumed all that WWE-lite stuff you mentioned was a philosophy picked up during the Bischoff/Hogan era that they never quite shed, so I was a bit surprised to read that.

I'm sure it does go deep in their history, I just know from sitting across from him hearing him argue 'the backstage skits saved WWE' that he was very into that style of TV. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm sure it does go deep in their history, I just know from sitting across from him hearing him argue 'the backstage skits saved WWE' that he was very into that style of TV. 

I could maybe see an argument for saying that about some of the Bruce Pritchard, or Bruce-style anyway, remote segments - things like Big Show's dad's funeral, the DX 'invasion' at the Scope, Crash Holly's HC title stuff, Chyna and Eddy going to dinner or whatever - I know he worked at TNA for a spell, no idea if there's any overlap-  but anything in like, the fake beige office with the ficuses in the corner, and 2K posters on the wall?? Blegh. Could not disagree harder.

• Like 1

Just now, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I saw a post on social media with 50k likes advocating for Rock/Roman to be Fingerpoke of Doom II.

And it's such an absurdly bad idea I almost want to see it now. 

Shit, I'll second that. The next week's "It took 25 years, but I told you so" pod from Nash would be a fun listen.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I saw a post on social media with 50k likes advocating for Rock/Roman to be Fingerpoke of Doom II.

like the Rock wouldn't do a Stone Cold stunner flip sell if he was taking the fingerpoke

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I was having some driving thoughts about what completely absurd outcomes this whole situation could have earlier today and thought about what if they ultimately decide to lean into the negative feedback Rock is getting? The main event ends up Cody/Roman with Rock as guest ref. After a bunch of dog and pony show interference, Cody hits several finishers on Roman and has him pinned clean. Rock counts 1, 2, then stops and Rock Bottoms Cody, throws Roman on top, counts the pin, and gloats about what an idiot Cody is for thinking he'd actually betray his family.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

GFrhPB8WEAA0YKL?format=jpg&name=small

That someone has willingly had sex and reproduced with Meltzer is one of the more surprising pieces of news I've heard today.

15 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

That someone has willingly had sex and reproduced with Meltzer is one of the more surprising pieces of news I've heard today.

Mrs. M put the work in and deserved to finish that story. Despite being one of his best moments Dave only gave the delivery **** 1/4

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Log said:

I bet the trophy budget for Japanese promotions in the 70's/80's/90's was insane.

I have a similar thought about deathmatch guys seeking medical attention for the shit that happens in their matches. I'd think the doctors know what the deal is pretty quickly if they're not directly employed by the promotion. Fortunately Japanese health care probably makes it a little less cost prohibitive to take bumps on broken glass compared to this country.

6 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Mrs. M put the work in and deserved to finish that story. Despite being one of his best moments Dave only gave the delivery **** 1/4

James

If it had been in the Tokyo Dome, … 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

IIRC The dude lived in Dallas when Brian Adias was there. He probably hung around the Sportatorium for fun.

• Like 1