DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Fans on hard cam getting up for the "hey somebody new is coming in" moment of the Rumble match (at least for the first Rumble) does mean that this card generated more noise than Rays playoff games in front of 15000 people

Move the team and the Rumble to Montreal! 

From the Petsona Non Grata dept

1. Tampa/St Pete tourist ambassador Terry Bollea in that ad 

2. Punk doing the Rolling German Suplexes. No mention of THAT homage, unlike the three amigos done by …. One of the luchadors. 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

48,000 as a worked attendance record  for the Trop made me laugh. 

Trop had 45368 seats for baseball in 1998 before they gradually started lowering capacity

They had 41,340 for the Final Four in 1999. They had the record for NHL attendance pre-Heritage Classic (28k)

So I figure the WWE was aiming to get a number higher than the Final Four to take that crown since it's not like the Rays are gonna make a run at it.

12 minutes ago, Log said:

Punk looked like shit. His hokey look at the WM sign every two seconds was dumb. He seemed winded pretty much immediately. 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I also noticed how badly Phil was sucking wind at the end. 

He was sucking air a lot for a guy who was in, what, four to last or something? That spot where the last four of them were acting exhausted I was like "come on man you just got in there". And the GTS to the... midsection? Pelvis? that they treated like it hit Cody between the eyes was TERRIBLE. 

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

People are convinced that the McAfee stuff was in the position that Brock would have been

wouldn't surprise me if Brock would have went at like 28 and they moved the spot up to 22 to get the McAfee comedy spot over with before R-Truth came out.

I guess Trick getting on Smackdown is a consolation for him not bring in the Rumble

The Women's Rumble had some nice stuff like Bayley and Kabuki Warriors getting in a nice amount of eliminations, Nia's dominance, Naomi return, Jordynne Grace appearing, Live's return, and Jade's debut. Even if it went down around when it was supposed to its easy to see Kairi's elimination was screwup. That poor woman was hanging on for dear life with both of her feet. Only reason she wasn't out immediately was due to only one of her feet hitting the floor. Was glad to see Naomi show up so early and get the iron woman role. Grace looked impressive and got some decent time in. They did well building up Nia as beast so Jade could get her shining moment. There was a lot of roughness in this, but it was decently enjoyable by the end.

The 4-way was about what you expect. Generally good action and some decent character stuff. 

Owens/Paul was good, probably MOTN. Dug a lot of the ways Logan Paul went after KO's arm, and KO had some solid selling. They dragged the crowd a decent bit into the match, and the DQ finish worked better for me than it normally might have. Still I prefer that type of stuff on Raw or Smackdown instead of a major show.

Thought the Men's Rumble had better pacing and flow than the women's rumble. There was a lot more neat moments and less dead space until the last ten or so minutes. Was nice to see so much character and story bits hit upon. Bron's short run was great. Loved R-truth's moments. He may have gotten the crowd to be the loudest it was all night. Weakest part probably was the Cody/Punk ending. It made sense to go there and had some stuff that would normally be decent but damn could you tell how winded Punk was despite his late number. made everything feel so slow. Enjoyable match even with the weaker ending. 

Thought the show was pretty solid overall. Could have been better but the crowd was pretty so-so for most of the night. Not blaming them though as its usually a smarter crowd for PLEs/PPVs. Bayley winning was a nice surprise. Not sure it was the right decision with her still being in Damage Ctrl, but I can still appreciate as its something she has earned with the work and time she has put in over the years. Curious to see if they with Bianca/Jade for Wrestlemania. Would be a great moment for Jade, win or lose. I'm fine with Cody winning the men's rumble. He absolutely does have to finish the story with Roman to make this work and worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Did Punk injure his arm on the Drew Mac Future Shock? I was hoping he’d win and be too hurt to go to mania.

I’m on Team Chaos

I got a crisp fiver saying yes he did. Immediately had a panic huddle with the refs. Favored it the whole match. Clutching it on the floor. I'd chalk up him looking poor in the match to being hurt, but more so than tearing the triceps again he was probably mentally drained knowing instantly it was hurt and all the work and fallout that is in front of him.

I thought Jordynn Grace looked better than all the rest of the women in that match. Her shit looked solid, she didn't botch anything or look lost. She looked like a star. Might be a double edge sword for TNA, because WWE is gonna want her now. The women's Rumble had an uncommon amount of whiffs and deer in the headlight stuff. And she really stood out.

Cody winning makes zero sense because they've muddied the waters with that Rock challenge. Especially if they don't plan on giving him the win. Kinda confused but we'll see how it plays out.

I will say this. I back the play of Bayley winning 100.10%. She's my gal. And the consensus in the chat was that Jordynne was smoking all the talent when she was in. And Bron should have probably won the men's, with how strong he looked, but it ain't his time yet.

The real elephant in the room is that this crowd was the utter drizzling shits. Collision's was more animated than a Royal Rumble

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I got a crisp fiver saying yes he did. Immediately had a panic huddle with the refs. Favored it the whole match. Clutching it on the floor. I'd chalk up him looking poor in the match to being hurt, but more so than tearing the triceps again he was probably mentally drained knowing instantly it was hurt and all the work and fallout that is in front of him.

kill me lol 

I would have been more confident on predicting a Bayley win if I thought Sasha was coming back and not taking TK’s money.  But given all her recent injuries, nice she will get a Mania title match (main event?) vs Rhea.  I presume they aren’t going the swerve where she turns face to wrestle her stable mate. 

glad someone else thought the womens match was sloppy. The talent level between the top dozen or so women and the rest seemed readily apparent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I would have been more confident on predicting a Bayley win if I thought Sasha was coming back and not taking TK’s money.  But given all her recent injuries, nice she will get a Mania title match (main event?) vs Rhea.  I presume they aren’t going the swerve where she turns face to wrestle her stable mate. 

Surely the swerve is her facing anyone other than Iyo.

I wish I could say I’m surprised that people are wishing or betting on Punk being injured, but it’s also the same ones that mention Punk for some reason in a thread about Vince McMahon being a sexual predator. Just fucking weird.

• Like 2

I thought it was a really fun show. I mean, it's the Royal Rumble?

The Woman's Rumble was excellent. On top of all of the really big moments, I came away thinking that the woman's division can now fill a Rumble where the worst entrant is "not too bad."  Even someone like Shotzi has an awesome entrance, presence and at least one good splash. The top end of the women's roster has been great for about a decade now. The lower end is now a really solid group of performers. 

I also came away really impressed with Becky Lynch. I know I'm not breaking anything new about her being a generational talent and performer. But she had so many awesome little moments sprinkled throughout this -- like when she was in awe watching Jade toss out Nia (the woman standing in Becky's way for years now) and her elimination. The way they're setting up Becky's Last Stand against Rhea has been fantastic -- where Becky has to see if she still has her mojo or if this new generation has passed her. The two of them together have some real "lightning in a bottle" energy where I can see us clamoring for that to be a WM main event. 

I'm also elated that Bayley won. It sorta blew my mind that she's never had a singles match at WM. Nobody deserves a big WM singles match more than her. I'm pretty sure Bayley has to be the GOAT WWE Woman's Wrestler now. I don't know if we even have a Woman's Rumble match without Bayley/Sasha tearing down the house at NXT. Those two showed not just women's wrestling as a serious entity but you could build a promotion around women's wrestling as your main feud. Bayley was the best babyface of her era. She's had so many great moments on the main roster. Her and Sasha carried the promotion during the pandemic and right after. She hits it out of the park even when she's taking a step back from the starring role. We're really lucky to have her.

I'm also happy Cody won. I was not into Cody at all when he arrived. He's won me over. Great babyface who connects with the audience. 

It hit me watching the final two men end that this was somehow a perfect way to end a week in wrestling that literally changed everything. Cody started the first rival to have any legs in years and came back to win WWE. He beat CM Punk, a guy who made his name as a truth-teller and a black sheep and -- despite the many many many things that can be said about Punk -- has bitten the hand that feeds him a bunch of times. It was a great exclamation point to the chapter in the book. 

• Like 6

Speaking of injuries, it looked like the ref got injured when Solo pulled him out of the ring. He was limping and wincing for the rest of the match.

Good for Bayley, I know people think this PPV was pretty tame and it was IMO.

The 4 way was nice but the crowd sat on their hand obviously because they didn't expect the slightest possibility of Roman losing 

The Women's Rumble had fun moments to watch in real time. Noami out in the beginning was a nice move. Her being in so long was a surprise too. Seeing Jordyn Grace in was cool even though I'm not too familiar with her was cool. She appears like such a big deal and that look sets her apart from everyone else. I still would have kept Jade out the Rumble if they were going to have her take it but she came off like a big deal the whole time she was out there so I can't complain. It's like Cody not winning at WM last year an still being just as over today as he was when he walked out for that match. Jade looked impressive all the way until she hit the floor. I think it's definitely possible she could turn into a serviceable worker at the least by WWE standards.  I'm sure they are really working with her and she seems to really want to get good at this

The Men's Royal Rumble was flat all the way through until close to the end. I loved seeing Punk actually working in there interacting with Drew and Cody in particular like he was trying to dispell the myth of him being injury prone or even him not wanting to work with people. Looks like he's having fun out there. I know alot of people were saying he lacks the passion when he returned but I didn't see it tonight.

Edited by Ziggy

One of the things recent rumbles have brought into focus is how terrible and indistinguishable from one another most current WWE theme songs are. I felt like on at least half the men’s rumble entrances you didn’t even get the big countdown pop because nobody could tell who was coming out based on the music hitting. Just this delayed “oh yeah, that guy.”

• Like 6

Just now, L_W_P said:

Roman making once in a lifetime history is more important than Cody finishing the story at Mania.

No it’s not. If he’s not gunning for Bruno, this has run out of steam. Even if he is, it’s run out of steam. Nothing about this is important. Roman went last a year ago and went in the cool down spot this year for a reason. 

• Like 3