DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

I’m watching Collision on tape delay and derped back in and out on the Rumble. Caught the ending. Very happy. Give me Cody vs Heyman and or Roman promos.

only thing I saw other than some clips on Reddit. Is it worth watching in full later on?

I realize there’s only one Pat Patterson, but it’s shocking the degree to which they’ve completely forgotten what makes a Rumble good. This shit was so boring.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I still would bet on Cody vs Phil for the B title with Seth hurt.

Well given that Cody aggressively pointed at Roman tonight after winning, trying to get to Cody vs Phil is going to take some serious work.

Rumbles tend to be a one match show (technically two matches with the two rumbles) and both Rumbles colored within the lines while the other matches existed to get you from Rumble 1 to Rumble 2

I would have had Punk win the Rumble and go for the the Seth title and then use some sort of magic booking wand to give us Cody/Roman anyways

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

I’m watching Collision on tape delay and derped back in and out on the Rumble. Caught the ending. Very happy. Give me Cody vs Heyman and or Roman promos.

only thing I saw other than some clips on Reddit. Is it worth watching in full later on?

Not really, the only surprise I guess was Andrade returning and very Lucha loaded front half.

• Like 1

That might be the worst ring announcer I’ve ever heard. 

I don’t know if it’s Dunn being gone, but that was the least annoyed I’ve been with WWE production in a very long time. I still can’t stand the commentary where no one speaks like a human, but the way they shot and punched the show was way better than last time I watched. 

Punk looked like shit. His hokey look at the WM sign every two seconds was dumb. He seemed winded pretty much immediately. 

Why do they have like 20 minutes between every match? I felt like it was an hour between the women’s Rumble and the start of the 4-way  

Oh, one positive thing I’ll say was that it was cool seeing how diverse their roster is now. 

Edited by Log

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

Do a legit Dusty finish.

I mean, if we're doing dumb finishes to keep the belt on Roman, might as well do "oh yeah, we only put up one of the titles and didn't tell anybody, so Roman is still Universal Champion"

One of my friends texted me during the rumble and said “if they’re doing angles during thatch, it’s too long.” Referring to Lashley/Kross. Ithink it’s just another breather spot. Just like the McAfee deal. 

ii liked the brass knux finish. Nicely old school. 

as someone who doesn’t watch anymore, so many weird haircuts, men and women. The aforementioned friend also commented on all their weird ring entrance gear people have these days. 

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I also think we are getting a 4 way for the WHC with Seth v Drew v Sami v Punk.

Rhea v Becky to main event night 1

so Punk & Cody both don’t get to finish their story. Booker of the year Triple H everybody.

Fans on hard cam getting up for the "hey somebody new is coming in" moment of the Rumble match (at least for the first Rumble) does mean that this card generated more noise than Rays playoff games in front of 15000 people

• Like 1

It was a very safe, by the book rumble. Women's outshone the men. You can't really even blame current events for an audible with how this was booked. Nothing about anything really stood out. Even the fatal four way was a typical Monday night snooze fest. The most exciting thing about it was Macafee showing up and even that seemed dialed down.

As soon as Punk pointed at the Rumble sign, I knew he was doomed. Much better women’s Rumble, with some creative eliminations and outs for some top babyfaces. Good showing for Jordynne, hope she gets a match with Natty or Ivy or someone. The Jade debut couldn’t have been conceived of or executed any better. The Chelsea stuff was amusing. I’m even excited for the Owens-Paul rematch with that out for the babyface. 

Tired of Roman, but there was even some decently structured stuff in there peaking with AJ on top of the pile. Good show. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

That might be the worst ring announcer I’ve ever heard. 

I don’t know if it’s Dunn being gone, but that was the least annoyed I’ve been with WWE production in a very long time. I still can’t stand the commentary where no one speaks like a human, but the way they shot and punched the show was way better than last time I watched. 

Punk looked like shit. His hokey look at the WM sign every two seconds was dumb. He seemed winded pretty much immediately. 

Why do they have like 20 minutes between every match? I felt like it was an hour between the women’s Rumble and the start of the 4-way  

Oh, one positive thing I’ll say was that it was cool seeing how diverse their roster is now. 

Either Cory or McAfee sounds so much like Matt Striker it bothered me. 

the rapid cutting seemed toned down from what I remember of the recent ppv shows I sampled. 

I also noticed how badly Phil was sucking wind at the end. 

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

Either Cory or McAfee sounds so much like Matt Striker it bothered me. 

the rapid cutting seemed toned down from what I remember of the recent ppv shows I sampled. 

I also noticed how badly Phil was sucking wind at the end. 

I don't mind Graves when he isn't going over the top and trying to put over whatever is being piped in his earpiece, but McAfee was like an even louder and more annoying version of him.

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Fans on hard cam getting up for the "hey somebody new is coming in" moment of the Rumble match (at least for the first Rumble) does mean that this card generated more noise than Rays playoff games in front of 15000 people

48,000 as a worked attendance record  for the Trop made me laugh.