DVDVR Message Board

2024 Wrestling RIP thread

I would call bullshit on that theory but he worked his age, so...

Just imagine if it was Mike Smith (I actually have met one of those -- but he is ostensibly a CIA agent which would make sense for him to name himself that publicly since he's in a band. Or maybe that claim is a practical joke? Sounds like something a spook would WANT you to believe...)

Edited by Curt McGirt

Somebody refresh my memory and fill in the blanks here, as this story keeps nagging at me every time a podcast goes onto the subject of Ole Anderson memories.  I keep thinking about this anecdote where maybe a young wrestler was possibly complaining about his payoffs and Ole replied something like, "I'd suck dicks for that kind of money!  Line 'em up around the block, I'd suck 'em all!"

Obviously I'm not going to Google Ole Anderson dick sucking story so maybe someone can help.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Somebody refresh my memory and fill in the blanks here, as this story keeps nagging at me every time a podcast goes onto the subject of Ole Anderson memories.  I keep thinking about this anecdote where maybe a young wrestler was possibly complaining about his payoffs and Ole replied something like, "I'd suck dicks for that kind of money!  Line 'em up around the block, I'd suck 'em all!"

Obviously I'm not going to Google Ole Anderson dick sucking story so maybe someone can help.

That was Tom Zenk (or maybe it wasn't actually Tom Zenk, I don't remember how all that shook out).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mister TV said:

I'm 97% sure it was Zenk on Meltzer's Eyada show.

My recollection is that after the interview it came out that it might have been somebody trolling Meltz pretending to be Zenk but I wasn't paying close attention to wrestling then so I don't know what the outcome was.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Are there any non-luchadors with unknown or worked real names? I’ve heard that Sweet Daddy Siki’s real name might be in dispute.

When pre-WWE Crash Holly was working in Mexico, he was under a mask for a bit. Then when he lost his mask, he gave his real name as Erin O'Grady, which was his fake working name in America at the time, rather than his shoot name.

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That was Tom Zenk (or maybe it wasn't actually Tom Zenk, I don't remember how all that shook out).

4 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I'm 97% sure it was Zenk on Meltzer's Eyada show.

Well that's part of the mystery solved.  It was definitely Zenk, I remember that much since you guys jogged my memory.

I ruined my search history to find a transcript:

Tom to Ole "[Why are you breaking my balls]. What about a guy like Sting? He's making $750,000 a year. Why don't you go after him? All the people are dressed like chairs! Ole says to me, '$750,000 a year?!? For $750,000 a year, I'd suck cock all day, line 'em up!'  And, Ole, Rock Rogowski, if you're listening, you sue me for slander if that's a lie, because that's the damn truth. (Wow. 4 appositives. Is that some kind of record?) What do you say to that? What do you say to a guy that says something like that? He went after me and Pillman, but not a guy like Sting who wasn't drawing, but was making $750,000. But Ole said, 'Line 'em up. [He'd] suck cock all day.' for $750,000."

Dave: "We've gotta go to a break right now."

Tom: "Yeah, you like that one, huh?"

Dave: "Oh yeah."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If Ole would take $150,000 to get screwed over by Jim Herd, the other part doesn’t surprise me. 

for those who want to listen, JC’s tribute to Ole is about an hour long. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Virgil beating a jobber was one of the first wrestling matches I ever watched on Superstars back in the early 90s. That's about all I can say about him.

Up until fairly recently I was always under the impression that Ole and Arn were actually brothers given how similar they look.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If Ole would take $150,000 to get screwed over by Jim Herd, the other part doesn’t surprise me. 

for those who want to listen, JC’s tribute to Ole is about an hour long. 

Cornette had actually a good line about Ole's time working under Herd, something like "it was against his religion to not take this kind of money".

• Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 4:24 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Reading the WrestlingClassics Ole thread and one poster mentions that David Crockett said Ole Anderson's favorite publication was Mother Jones.. which is certainly a little bit of a surprise

Let me attach the Wikipedia description of Mother Jones for the unaware:

Reveal hidden contents

Mother Jones (abbreviated MoJo) is a nonprofit American progressive magazine that focuses on news, commentary, and investigative journalism on topics including politics, environment, human rights, health and culture.

There's no shortage of crabby people who could potentially be MoJo readers.

Just remembered that the title of Ole's book could have been a hint... that book being titled "Inside Out: How Corporate America Destroyed Professional Wrestling".

Yeah, I can imagine Ole's perpetual ball of anger being focused on rich fucks that were a pain in his ass when he worked with Turner/TBS.

Maybe the reason he was so mad all the time is that he really hated Reagan?

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

Maybe the reason he was so mad all the time is that he really hated Reagan?

Ole Anderson was angry all these years because of the defeat of fellow Minnesotans Eugene McCarthy/Hubert Humphrey in 1968. Every time Ole turned face, he reminded himself that if the people cheered Nixon, they could cheer him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So was it Tom Zenk? Whoever it was was doing an interview with Ole on a Dave Meltzer show? Or were they talking on Dave’s show? That’s hilarious and would go viral today. Zenk and the internet weren’t ready for each other. We’ve talked about that before.

• Like 1

I’d actually say modern social media was made for Zenk. Imagine if he had a podcast today and how many hot takes and stories he would have.

• Like 3