DVDVR Message Board

2024 Wrestling RIP thread

Cornette recently had a great story about what Bill Dundee apparently once said about Ole: "Ole Anderson likes to fuck but he don't (sic!) like to come. He just wants to fuck all the time he don't wanna come. He just wants to fuck. He is miserable."

Reading the WrestlingClassics Ole thread and one poster mentions that David Crockett said Ole Anderson's favorite publication was Mother Jones.. which is certainly a little bit of a surprise

Let me attach the Wikipedia description of Mother Jones for the unaware:

Spoiler

Mother Jones (abbreviated MoJo) is a nonprofit American progressive magazine that focuses on news, commentary, and investigative journalism on topics including politics, environment, human rights, health and culture.

There's no shortage of crabby people who could potentially be MoJo readers.

Just remembered that the title of Ole's book could have been a hint... that book being titled "Inside Out: How Corporate America Destroyed Professional Wrestling".

Yeah, I can imagine Ole's perpetual ball of anger being focused on rich fucks that were a pain in his ass when he worked with Turner/TBS.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Mr. Rogowski, we appreciate your opposition to the War but our group doesn't agree with all the slurs you used to describe certain people"

"I agree with his Selma killing policy, but not his Bart killing policy." 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is such a bizarre analogy that can possibly only fit in wrestling (you deliver a chase in an angle but never a blowoff). Or politics. 

I like Ricky Morton’s even better…”Ole would be mad eating ice cream.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I wonder if the outpouring of people who talk about how great he was and how much they respected him, will cause an uptick in votes and get him into the WON HOF. I have to say that it'd be pretty funny for him to get in after he passes. Considering that his reaction to getting passed over 20 years ago was basically "I don't give two shits about this goddamn hall of fame!"

• Like 2

I think he’d be helped by focusing more on his booking and less on his in ring, either solo or with Gene. That also depending if you think his booking up until 1984 outweighs  the 1984 and WCW era booking. 

• Like 1

how much of the problem with his booking about the availability of his best booking runs. I know there's various old Georgia on YouTube. But it's not like the territories where you can go to the Network and watch it easily.

And then the booking that is the most available is basically his worst work.

I’m sure that’s part of it. And voters in the business not liking him personally. 

I doubt I vote for him in any category. Too many other people ahead of him on my list.

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Reading the WrestlingClassics Ole thread and one poster mentions that David Crockett said Ole Anderson's favorite publication was Mother Jones.. which is certainly a little bit of a surprise

Let me attach the Wikipedia description of Mother Jones for the unaware:

Hide contents

Mother Jones (abbreviated MoJo) is a nonprofit American progressive magazine that focuses on news, commentary, and investigative journalism on topics including politics, environment, human rights, health and culture.

There's no shortage of crabby people who could potentially be MoJo readers.

Just remembered that the title of Ole's book could have been a hint... that book being titled "Inside Out: How Corporate America Destroyed Professional Wrestling".

Yeah, I can imagine Ole's perpetual ball of anger being focused on rich fucks that were a pain in his ass when he worked with Turner/TBS.

worth a read?

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

worth a read?

I haven’t read Ole’s book. Here’s part of the review from Bill at DDTDigest:

After reading this book, I came to a strong conclusion. If there was ever a wrestler whose gimmick in the ring was exactly like the wrestler is in real-life, it has to be Ole Anderson. He truly is a grumpy old man that likes to beat people up.

If you are interested in the business of professional wrestling territories and their demise in the 1970s and 1980s, or you are interested in Ole Anderson in particular, this is a fantastic book. However, if you are not interested in either of those topics, this book probably isn't for you. It's as simple as that.

• Like 2

Butcher Vachon ran for office 3 times in Canada with the New Democratic Party/NDP. Finishing 3rd of 3 with 13% in 1988, 4th of 7 with 2% in 1993, and 5th of 10 with 1% in a 1995 by-election. His occupations on the ballot were "sales manager" (1988) and "retired" (1993/1995). If you're wanting to gauge which occupations appeal to Quebec voters, at least for an NDP candidate.

There has been one candidate to list themselves as a pro wrestler while running for office in Canada. Sailor White in 2000/2004.

Many years ago, my former in-laws brought my ex-wife and the kids to a buddy's house, the kind of guy who has a gigantic property so he gets a few bonfires going and makes a bunch of food and invites a ton of people over and it's just a good old time outside in the early fall in New England. I stayed home because there were shit to do around the house.

When everybody got back, they mentioned a couple old-time wrestlers were there, and asked me if I'd ever heard of Mad Dog and The Butcher - turns out my father-in-law's buddy went to an autograph thing the day before and asked both of the elder Vachon's if they were going to be in the area for a little bit and wanted to come by the cookout and they actually said yes and showed up! Apparently they were a big hit and everybody had a good time hanging out with them and my dumb antisocial ass was at home cleaning toilets. 

Anybody who says they have no regrets in life is full of shit, let me tell you...

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

So apparently Virgil had been kayfabing his age even through his death.  He had told everyone over the years he was born in 1962, but he was actually born in 1951.  Most reports list him dying at 61, but he was actually 72, thus making him one of the oldest guys on the WWF roster in the 80s and 90s, older than Hogan, Piper, Jake, Dibiase, Savage and only two years younger than Flair.  He was 40 when he won the Million Dollar Title at Summerslam 91, which is absolutely crazy.

Edited by Vgmastr
  • Like 3

Haven’t listened to the Cornette podcast on Virgil dying but I’m guessing if Virgil’s worked birthdate came up, Jim will be relieved to hear that Virgil was 10 years older than him instead of a year younger.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...Goddammit. I'm posting it anyway

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful.com @Sea RossSapp confirmed with Virgil's management team that this is accurate. Virgil was actually 40 when he won the Million Dollar Title in 1991. What a worker. Rest in Peace OSW review OSWreview Ma ljust found out got worked by Virgil! He told everyone his birthday is June 13, 1962 but his REAL birthday is April 7, 1951! Hastily re editing the next OSW. Even after passing, he's still working. God bless you Virgil MICHAEL "VIRGIL" MICHAEL "VIRGIL". (1962 (1962-2024) (1951-2024)'

He didn't seem to age much at all relative to his actual age if that's the case because until he actual got sick a few years ago he always seemed to look good for whatever age he was.

• Like 1