DVDVR Message Board

2024 Wrestling RIP thread

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d actually say modern social media was made for Zenk. Imagine if he had a podcast today and how many hot takes and stories he would have.

Seriously. I mean he would be a peak postprime Iron Sheik sized thing. He would absolutely kill it and never quit slowly growing. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

On 3/4/2024 at 8:11 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I wasn't gonna say it (would have left it to J.T. if he was around haha). Instead, let's remind ourselves of something else great about Vincent: His enormous rod. 

• Haha 1

As was said in the Puroresu General thread, Yutaka Yoshie passed away tonight. He went to the back after his match and didn't feel well and passed away at nearby hospital.

Also, not that I want more dead wrestlers but this thread is like four pages of people talking about Ole Anderson after he passed away at the end of February.

• Sad 7

Known back in the olden days as "the guy with the starfish on his head". I always knew him as the big cuddly guy in pink who always had a smile on his face but could squash you like a bug with his pudge. RIP

• Like 2

One of my biggest laughs listening to What Happened When is one of the earlier episodes Conrad shouting, "PUT ON SOME GODDAMN PANTS, JACKIE!" as the floor cameraman from behind is basically shooting an upskirt shot of him wearing the tiniest jorts ever and the hairiest legs.

There is no way in hell he would have got away with that look in WWF. He would have gotten the obligatory WWF shirt and black pants every cameraman had to wear. In WCW, Jackie Crockett was wearing ANY damn thing he wanted. Especially the early years.

• Haha 5

Well, he was a Crockett, after all; it's the family business so he could do what he pleased. 

What surprises me more is that he was apparently in front of the camera a lot? I mean as a cameraman aren't you supposed to be behind it? Any specific examples, too?

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

One of my biggest laughs listening to What Happened When is one of the earlier episodes Conrad shouting, "PUT ON SOME GODDAMN PANTS, JACKIE!" as the floor cameraman from behind is basically shooting an upskirt shot of him wearing the tiniest jorts ever and the hairiest legs.

There is no way in hell he would have got away with that look in WWF. He would have gotten the obligatory WWF shirt and black pants every cameraman had to wear. In WCW, Jackie Crockett was wearing ANY damn thing he wanted. Especially the early years.

In the 80's and maybe into the early 90's the WWF cameramen wore blue jumpsuits.

4 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

In the 80's and maybe into the early 90's the WWF cameramen wore blue jumpsuits.

No, they wore them up until the logo change in 1999ish which is the era I was referring to. The gimmick cameraman Shawn beats up at Badd Blood is wearing that jumpsuit IIRC.

Oh I believe Austin dresses up as one during Heat before a PPV in 1998 when Vince foolishly locks himself in a cage and he is dressed like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Akebono also obviously a huge deal in sumo and what his success as a foreign Yokozuna ended up meaning for the sport. Also for awhile if there was any sumo that could be named by an American, it's probably Akebono. But that might be asking a lot.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Grandson of Kabuki. I remember meeting Akebono and getting an autograph from him in Rahway. It was when he was on a Dragon Gate USA show. I looked it up because I didn't think that it was for Fat Frank. Yokozuna is a real big deal. There was little news of his condition over the last few years. Sad to hear this.

• Like 1

That a shame to hear though I've been expecting to hear it with the lack of info on him the past few years. I enjoyed his AJPW, and his team with Ryota Hama was legit fun and good. 

• Like 1

They had already Kitao at Mania in 91, so the idea was prob in back of someone’s head. And it was perfect gimmick for Rodney given his size and it employs another member of the family.

• Like 1

Konishiki was close to becoming a yokozuna in 1991. By 1992, the trio of Konishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru were, if not national news in the US, at least regularly in the news in Hawaii.

Yokozuna (the wrestler) was closer in size and look to Konishiki because Akebono was basketball player tall. I remember being at this Dragon Gate show and whenever Akebono was on the apron for a six-man tag match I couldn't see anything going on because my seat was on the floor and diagonal to the ring and his big butt blocked my view.

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

also, WWF created the Yokozuna gimmick just barely before Akebono became a Yokozuna in early 1993. So either massive coincidence, or somebody reading deep into the newspapers.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They had already Kitao at Mania in 91, so the idea was prob in back of someone’s head. And it was perfect gimmick for Rodney given his size and it employs another member of the family.

Yeah, I gotta roll with the latter. When he was the Great Kokina, he already looked like something adjacent to a sumo wrestler. So that and combined with Yokozuna being a catchy name, it was a fit. That and the Headshrinkers came in at the same time (or at least debut at the same time). They likely didn't want two Samoan/Islander gimmicks. It would also be a reason to give Fuji more work.