DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

Flair/Backlund feels like one of those things that might be so lowly rated by the people who saw it that everybody else will think "this is better than expected" if they saw it

I could see getting Bob Backlund in the South and not being impressed. I know where's a Flair/Backlund tandem promo from TBS where Flair pretty much outshines Bob.

I could also see Backlund being someone who is so set in his own ways that he's not gonna work the Flair formula and it'd make the match a bit of a chore. Sorta like how Backlund worked shoot-style matches like someone unsure of the rules.

44 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Given WWE gave us The Last Battle of Atlanta as a hidden gem on the network, there's a chance that Flair/Backlund is somewhere in their archives. 

That would be awesome, now if only they could be persuaded to start uploading classic content to the network again!

There’s also Backlund vs. Bockwinkel in 1979 in Toronto; no footage of that either, to my knowledge.

I must be the only person who likes the Backlund vs. Race match in MSG (and Cagematch says they also did title vs. title twice in 1978 and once more in 1980), though I think their match in 1976 from St. Louis for the Missouri title is much better (though maybe because it’s in clipped/highlight form):

Edited by Hamhock

It's funny in the sense that Bruno as regional champion vs Flair the touring NWA World Champion would have been perfect for each other's style, but also that Bruno hated Flair having the same match night in, night out, and probably wouldn't have gone along with it. It would have been interesting to see if Bruno would have resulted in a better match being inserted into the formula he worked with Luger/Hawk/Koloff instead of those guys.

I also saw that we had ostensibly a heel vs heel title vs title match between Graham and Race - anyone got a link to that one?

• Like 1

Not having watched much Sammartino, even though he said he didn't like Flair "working the same match", what about him? What was so different about his defenses? I get the feeling this is a typical champion bitch, that the other guy is samey and boring unlike them; when really they all have a formula that they just tweak for different opponents. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not having watched much Sammartino, even though he said he didn't like Flair "working the same match", what about him? What was so different about his defenses? I get the feeling this is a typical champion bitch, that the other guy is samey and boring unlike them; when really they all have a formula that they just tweak for different opponents. 

Bruno changed his stance on Flair, he used to praise him in the 80’s and 90’s then Flair said something about Bruno not being a draw or some nonsense in the 2000’s, that shifted Bruno to the Bret Hart “Flair worked the same match” take. 

In his prime Bruno was able to adapt to his opponents, that was one of the reasons for his longevity, but his second run was usually vs. a monster type Hansen/Brody or strongman like Graham/Patera.

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Has anyone ever been to obscure yet pro wres identifiable town before?

I once was in Bucksnort, Tennessee. 

I got within a few miles of Truth or Consequences, NM when I was on a work trip to El Paso but couldn't talk my coworker into stopping.  Very disappointing.

• Like 2

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unlocked this topic

Lost in the RAW news - Dwayne Johnson has been added to the TKO Board of Directors

Also he and the WWE came to agreement that gives him full ownership of "The Rock" name